Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:24 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I left England for the US over 40 years ago with all my family remaining there. Back then it was expensive to "'phone home" and letters took about 10 days but we all managed to stay in touch on a regular basis. 18 years thereafter I moved even further away to the Caribbean where I've lived now for 25 years and it's likely that here I'll stay.

I've managed to get back to England several times and some of my relatives have visited me, while the internet has made communication much easier. Although we've all gone our separate ways we still maintain the family bonds but in a different way than would be typical of a family whose members are in close proximity.

I don't know if I've any advice to offer as every situation is different, as is everyone's reaction, but I absolutely do not regret having moved away. Life has been and continues to be an ever-changing learning experience and on the very rare occasion when I look back and wonder, "what if?" I'd never left it's only in a sort of bemused way as I'd not change anything, not even all the bumps along the way. Good luck!
Gives us pause to reflect what many did 150 years ago when striking out for the Oregon Territory.

Leaving family farms in Pennsylvania for an eight month journey west knowing that last glance back would be the last time they would ever see those they were leaving behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
I moved 3,000 from my entire family. It was not easy. We were retiring and had to go to a more affordable state then CA. It's the "only" thing I miss about our move--my family. I love my new location if I wasn't so lonely. I just have to give it some time.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:44 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
You should do what feels better and right to you. It is good to be close to familiy but it is also for oneself to explore the world and if you have better opportunities in another location moving is something to consider.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:53 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,110 times
In 1996 I left Oregon and moved to NC. Can't get much further away then that. I left behind 2 grown sons, which I had never been apart from, my dad, a couple of sisters and other family. It was very hard leaving my boys. But I don't regret it. I met the most wonderful man that I am married to. We left NC in 2007 and now RV full time and have a great life. I do try to go home once a year and someday I may end up living there again.

You never know whats out there until you venture out. I knew that when I left I could go back home anytime.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
Default loved ones

Could I move far away from loved ones? Absolutely, and I did. Almost 2000 miles away.

My family was toxic however. I needed to find my own home, my own life, and be master of that without judgments, without hesitation, and where I could finally be free of hurtful things poisoning my every day life.

I found that those who I was close to, still are dear to me and rather enjoy a nice vacation visit to come and visit. Instead of seeing that person every day, we have lots to get caught up on, and I have new things to show them and plan when they arrive instead of, "hey have you tried that new seafood restaurant down the hill?" You are master of your little territory you call home and its a great feeling of pride and comfort to host for a weekend or week to family and friends that come all the way out just to see you. It is quite an honor and I love those visits. I even enjoy the quiet after they leave when you return to your regular activities and they return to their life.

It is no better, no worse being apart for months at a time, it is just different. It will take time to get used to it, but remember: You can always return back if it is too much to bear. Also, your sister may in fact love your little hideaway and move out your way! It will be a new adventure, and that's the way you should always claim it. As your adventure, where you are master and commander, and they are your guests on vacation to enjoy what your new world has to offer.

I haven't seen my parents in almost 4 years and they are due up here 2000 miles out of their way, just for a week's visit. It gives me something to look forward to, seeing how my life is very simple without children. We live in New Hampshire, and they live in East Texas. Lots of foliage in October, it should be a magical treat for all of us.

Good luck in your decision, if it feels right, you know you should probably do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues