U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM

13,781 posts, read 18,690,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Where in Ohio are you moving to? I was born/raised there. Different parts of Ohio get varying temperatures and amounts of snow.
columbus and I have lived there before and also dont know when the transfer will come through just know it is coming could be anywhere btwn 6-13 months and I did keep all my winter clothes. I had a feeling I would be going back north just did not know it would be so soon . LOL !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:55 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,402,235 times
Some people like '4 season' weather----------others will do damn near anything to avoid it (Yours Truly).

Although in all fairness; for me at least, where is is drier in the winter in part cancels out the hassle of dealing with what little snow may fall-----------Kingman or Globe, both here in Arizona I would be OK with. Never mind their average winter night time lows are only 5 degrees warmer than Wash DC's (24F vs. 31F)--------the difference being the January daytime highs are a good 10-15 degrees warmer (56F vs. 41F).

Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 AM

3,884 posts, read 8,949,050 times
Yea, I would have just moved up North here in AZ if there was work. But these towns have little if no employment for us so it's a nocando. lol
I do miss the beach town as well, something about being close to water for me.
I will stock up on some good hats and gloves, also buy some boots, etc. I am excited for the first snow, it's been a long, long time.
Right now I'm wondering the best way to plow the driveway? lol Shovel, blower, or mini snow plow.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:20 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,189,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Right now I'm wondering the best way to plow the driveway? lol Shovel, blower, or mini snow plow.
Handyman

Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,719,764 times
Born and raised in San Diego. Long time resident of Austin, TX, now living in the Midwest. I've been here nine years and I am still like a little kid everytime it snows. I always want to be the first to go out and play in it.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Born and raised in San Diego. Long time resident of Austin, TX, now living in the Midwest. I've been here nine years and I am still like a little kid everytime it snows. I always want to be the first to go out and play in it.
Ah, yes, thank goodness someone likes it! I feel the same way, I'm already excited for the first snow fall. I want to slide down a hill in a inner tube and make a snow man. lol

Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Handyman
lol, good idea!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 AM

1,628 posts, read 5,883,829 times
Quote:
Depends on how fit you are and how big the driveway I guess! If you're fit and it's not too long a driveway, I'd go with shovel for two reasons. One, it's exercise, which Americans don't get enough of. Two, snowblowers pollute like nobody's business. They spew out LOADS of pollution, way more than you'd think for their size, even just doing a driveway. Of course if you can't physically shovel or are 75 or the driveway is 1/2 mi. long you wouldn't want to shovel all the time. Especially "wet snow".

Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,854,663 times
I moved from FL to MI and the only time the snow is okay is during the holidays, it really feels like Christmas. Other than that I just refer to it as the "frozen white hell". Everything you do in winter is a big PITA, gotta spend a 1/2 hour getting dressed with all the layers, gloves, boots just to go out and scrape your windshield and warm up the car, shovel the sidewalk, etc.

The snow is only pretty right after it falls and then it gets plowed up mixed with dirt and gravel and looks like a bunch of trash all over town. It'll kill your vehicle, it got 20 below here one night and it caused my car thermostat to malfunction so I had no heat. You have to drive terrified most of the time because of the black ice and if they don't keep up with plowing the roads,(which is always) every trip is a major PITA.

If you can afford all the winter toys, (like snowmobiles, ski trips, etc.) and good winter clothing I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Another positive is you can really come to appreciate stuff like hot showers, coffee, hot cocoa, stuff one might take for granted living in a warmer climate.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,854,663 times
Quote:
A lot of people up here in MI just hire someone to do it but at $20-$30 a pop it can get pricey. You gotta watch some of these guys because say you get 5" in the morning, he comes and plows and later that afternoon an 1 1/2" falls, he does it again even though you really didn't need it.

You can get small plows that attach to front of a riding lawnmower, I see a lot of people doing that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or