U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:33 PM

261 posts, read 597,650 times

Advertisements

Ideally, living in a place that always has an overcast would be the perfect weather for me but I would never want to live outside Canada or America and I am unaware of any such climate so I don't plan to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,758,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I grew up in the Northeast and have been in the South for several decades. If I move North, and I might have to because of family, it wouldn't be the snow or even the cold that would be the problem.

It would be those gray skies--day after day--for weeks sometimes--the grayness of it all. Barrenness and bleakness--gad--after years of blue skies and at least some sun every day.

Layers of clothing and seasonal stuff---after having one wardrobe and never using coats or hats or gloves except maybe once or twice every other year.

Also--everything seems cheerier in warm climes--the clothing, the faces, and the attitudes. That will be hard to face. The heck with a little snow!
i agree---moved back up north---regret it--the faces and attitudes match the grey skies

Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 AM

28,154 posts, read 39,796,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
This will be our first MN winter (lord help us) and word here is that Uggs are useless for these winters. Fall - perhaps but Sorels are the best for winter.

Buy these: Scheels | SmartWool Hiking Crew Socks

That's all I wear on the really cold days. They wick away moisture so your feet stay dry which equates to warm.

A good snow suit like skiers wear is great for when you are shoveling snow. There is a reason skiers buy those!!

Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

A good snow suit like skiers wear is great for when you are shoveling snow. There is a reason skiers buy those!!
Another good option are coveralls like worn for hunting--nice and insulated, and a rugged outer fabric. Plus blaze orange is not a bad thing when cleaning out the drive apron on days with the drifting and 30mph northern winds howling..... keeps one visible in the whiteout.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:28 AM

3,884 posts, read 8,954,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I grew up in the Northeast and have been in the South for several decades. If I move North, and I might have to because of family, it wouldn't be the snow or even the cold that would be the problem.

It would be those gray skies--day after day--for weeks sometimes--the grayness of it all. Barrenness and bleakness--gad--after years of blue skies and at least some sun every day.

Layers of clothing and seasonal stuff---after having one wardrobe and never using coats or hats or gloves except maybe once or twice every other year.

Also--everything seems cheerier in warm climes--the clothing, the faces, and the attitudes. That will be hard to face. The heck with a little snow!
I'm actually excited about the clothing, and so are my kids. In Phoenix you have to wear practically nothing most of the year. You shave everyday, no covering up if your lazy. lol
The teen girls are excited to finally wear fall and winter fashions when they go back to school. Here we still wear summer clothes until Dec. Then it's just a light hoodie over the top of the same summer clothes. You never get to wear a hat or scarf, you'd be laughed at.
In Phoenix it's a little different then the south though. No one is happy in the summer at 115. No one goes outside, no one is cheery. And, believe it or not, i've been prescribed vit. d because we never get out in the summer and was lacking. I was amazed but it's true. It's just to hot and you get a sunburn in 5 min.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

That's all I wear on the really cold days. They wick away moisture so your feet stay dry which equates to warm.

Nice! Thanks for the info!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Another good option are coveralls like worn for hunting--nice and insulated, and a rugged outer fabric. Plus blaze orange is not a bad thing when cleaning out the drive apron on days with the drifting and 30mph northern winds howling..... keeps one visible in the whiteout.
Ha ha, I'll tell my husband. Then I'll take pictures to keep the laugh going all year long. ha ha "Look at that guy from the desert in the orange suit" It's only October. lol

Old 08-15-2009, 09:40 AM

I know there will be things I'm taken off guard by, to tell you the truth thats sort of exciting to me. I'm sure by the end of winter I will love spring and I'm sure at the beginning of winter I will pray for a snow just in time for Christmas.
So excited to have some weather though, any weather will be inviting to me at this time. To tell you the truth I just feel truly bored out here with no change at all but a few degrees on the old thermom. or maybe another "heat wave" like you could really tell the difference. ha ha
It maybe rained 5 times this summer, and it was in the middle of the night for 10 min. never saw it, hm, I need some weather, even bad weather, just something to keep my blood pumping please!

I know it sounds crazy, but only to those who aren't "weather bored". lol

Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 AM

2,498 posts, read 6,375,474 times
After living in Florida for 20 years we are headed north to CT because of age and family.The heat and humidity gets worse because you get aclimated to AC.You used to have to put up with it,didn't even have fans.That aside not looking forward to horrible tax situation we are stepping into,Florida was very simple compared to CT.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 AM

538 posts, read 1,657,446 times
I have been wanting to move to the East Coast for years, everyone here in So. CA tells me I'm crazy because of the weather. It makes me nervous but I will never know if I can do it unless I try it, right?

Besides, you can always retire to a warmer climate when the snow may be harder to deal with and more dangerous. I figure it can't be all that bad or everyone would have moved West and left the Eastern states empty.

Take it on as an adventure and you will do fine. Having the right clothing and equipment makes all the difference. I am usually colder here in CA in the winter because I never dress for that unexpected cold day, stores and houses rarely turn on the heat. When I am back east you don't go out without a jacket, scarf and gloves, and all the places you go are warm. You will do fine and the beauty of the East Coast will be worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or