Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:34 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,883,359 times

Advertisements

I prefer where there is no snow! I can't stand cold weather.

So, I'm moving to south Florida next year. Yeah, it does get cool, but at least it doesn't snow (not that I know of). I can handle the coolness, but not snow (or that low in the temperature...no way!!!).

I couldn't believe moving to Arizona that it snowed! Well, I live in northern Arizona (Prescott). But still, I had no idea...BRRRR!! Still too darn cold for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Yes, because kids are known to freeze to death at the bus stop ALL THE TIME in Upstate NY [ /catty comment]
Maybe they don't because every parent is looking out and making sure it doesn't happen.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:04 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
I like semi-cold, not nasty cold (Minnesota). You can always put on more clothes to stay warm. When it's hot and humid, you can only get so naked.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:41 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Maybe they don't because every parent is looking out and making sure it doesn't happen.
No, actually when it gets too cold, school is delayed or canceled.

And no, parents generally don't stand at the windows here making sure their kids don't freeze to death.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
No, actually when it gets too cold, school is delayed or canceled.

And no, parents generally don't stand at the windows here making sure their kids don't freeze to death.

If it is really cold we will drive them to school, or just take them to the bus stop and let them sit int eh car until the bus arrives. Which is funny since when they get home, they tend to go outside and play despite the cold. I do not think that the risk is any greater if they wait for the bus than if they play outside after school, but still we tend to drive them ont he really cold days. It is also funny since the bus does not get warmed up until it drops them off at achool. Thus it is not significantly warmer in the bus than outside.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:00 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
I remember when I was high school, sometimes I would go down to the bus stop with my hair not completely dry. And some of it would freeze to my head. :-) Somehow, I managed to survive adolescence. Didn't even get sick that much, as I recall.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:24 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
maybe if they taught a class on winter apparel up north, it wouldn't be an issue. I can remember looking out our window in WI, barely seeing the smaller kids due to all the piles from shoveling, then see the tween boys walking up with just a sweatshirt on, and the gals walking in flip flops.

Then i'd put on my coveralls, my sorel boots, and cover my complete head so i could go clean my car off.

Either i was a complete wussy after 46 years in WI ( hence our moving to SC ), or some of the kids now are so darn "intellectually challenged" that they just understand when the weather man says "temp 10 below, windchill 30 below" that maybe they should at least put a hat on!!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM

25 posts, read 201,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I like semi-cold, not nasty cold (Minnesota). You can always put on more clothes to stay warm. When it's hot and humid, you can only get so naked.
Agreed. I moved from CA to IL last year and love the cold weather. The snow is a joke as well, I couldn't help but laugh that people here think 12" of snow is a lot. My previous experiences with snow were waist deep powder in the Sierra mountains, the piddly few inches they get out here is nothing. There were only 2 days my first winter here where I though the cold wind was bothersome, the rest of the time I just wore sweats and jacket.

Everyone here thinks i'm insane for leaving California, and they all want to move to Florida.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:55 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,051 times
Moved from CA to CT last year and could not be happier! Sure, the cold was an adjustment, but really, it was not that big of a deal, and I am someone who gets cold easily. I think my biggest adjustment was learning to drive in snow. I can only just say that it takes time to get a handle on it. I much prefer driving in the snow to dealing with the 405 during such hour. It's all good!

Old 10-26-2009, 11:37 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I miss the 4 seasons. We have no falls heres & it rarely rains in the summer. I miss the summer rains in pa. I always loved the first snow fall. I can remember many times waking up in the morning & looking out the window at the falling snow. I so miss those days but i dont miss the freezing weather & hot/humid summers. I wish i could have my cake & eat it too. The weather in so.ca is just so damn boring. Its either sunny/dry & warm or sunny/dry & hot...yawnz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues