U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:15 AM

3,884 posts, read 8,969,451 times

Advertisements

Has anyone moved from a hot sunny climate to a cool climate with snow and loved it? I'm in Phoenix about to move to the East coast. lol
Most people I talk to in Phoenix have just moved from the snow country and love the Phoenix sun. They don't like much else here but the snow keeps them from going back. This worries me, is it that bad? Where they would be willing to give up everything else to avoid the snow?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM

7,340 posts, read 16,653,411 times
We got tired of using the old snow shovel, snowblower and driving in "white-out" conditions in eastern Colorado. Our age (58-59 at the time) and the fear of falling in ice/snow also prompted us to move away. Actually, I did fall in ice/snow by our house and that fall required a rotar cuff surgery on shoulder. We moved to NC/Charlotte area, but it was still too much winter! We are now in Florida (Jacksonville) and will take the heat/humidy and torrential downpours of rain over the snow! Snow is beautiful to look at, but driving in it and shoveling it sure isn't fun!! We've got plenty of DVD home video of snow in Colorado if we start missing it!!

Old 08-05-2009, 12:21 PM

13,823 posts, read 18,807,495 times
well I have moved from fla to ky and am back in fla and in a yr we will be transferred to Ohio . yes the snow gets some taking use to but I grew up in a blizzard state so it was okay for me to have light snow . the cold last untill april or better but at least you have all four seasons which is what I like down here in fla you have summer and a mild winter and that is it . I dont like that and I dont like heat cause I cant breathe in it . I personally cannot wait to get back North !!! so take it from me you might enjoy snow and cold as opposed to record high heat .

Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 PM

28,256 posts, read 39,920,849 times
My best advice is to buy a pair of YakTrax before winter hits and use them. If you are not used to walking in snow or on ice you don't want to figure it out after you break something or mess up a Rotater Cuff like I did (and I have lived with snow all my life).

YakTrax (http://www.yaktrax.com/ - broken link)

My wife and I both use these and they are great.

And those underwear things my wife wears. Cuddle Duds! She's got a bunch of tops and bottoms and she wears them all winter.

With all that said we are moving south when we retire and Jacksonville is on the list.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:30 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,293,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My best advice is to buy a pair of YakTrax before winter hits and use them. If you are not used to walking in snow or on ice you don't want to figure it out after you break something or mess up a Rotater Cuff like I did (and I have lived with snow all my life).

And those underwear things my wife wears. Cuddle Duds! She's got a bunch of tops and bottoms and she wears them all winter.

With all that said we are moving south when we retire and Jacksonville is on the list.
we just moved from heat to snow so this advice is great. I have put it on my Favorites to buy later. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:46 PM

13,823 posts, read 18,807,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

thank you cause I will buy some of these before I go to ohio .

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM

3,884 posts, read 8,969,451 times
I will definitely get some of those shoes and underwear! I will gladly take any suggestions for clothing and blankets because I have no idea what to wear or put on our beds for a real winter. If it gets to 55 at night everyone is freezing here. We only buy light jackets or sweaters in the winter. No hats, scarves or any gloves, so keep them coming. Thanks!
I hear UGS boots are a must as well.

I am excited for seasons, I can't remember them and my kids have never seen them except for the ones on television. lol Sesame Street really messes kids up down here in the desert. lol
I have to explain that fall is like our winter, and spring is like other peoples summer and then we have a extra 3 month long heat wave and no winter.

I hear Cape Cod isn't as bad as inner Mass because it's an island. They only get a couple of snows a year but a lot of rain (any rain is more than I'm use to). I am excited for more rain but driving in all these different weather conditions will be a challenge I'm sure. I imagine we will be cold at night in the summer, the temps are similar to our fall temps.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,756,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I have moved from fla to ky and am back in fla and in a yr we will be transferred to Ohio . yes the snow gets some taking use to but I grew up in a blizzard state so it was okay for me to have light snow . the cold last untill april or better but at least you have all four seasons which is what I like down here in fla you have summer and a mild winter and that is it . I dont like that and I dont like heat cause I cant breathe in it . I personally cannot wait to get back North !!! so take it from me you might enjoy snow and cold as opposed to record high heat .
Where in Ohio are you moving to? I was born/raised there. Different parts of Ohio get varying temperatures and amounts of snow.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 PM

3,752 posts, read 7,490,080 times
This will be our first MN winter (lord help us) and word here is that Uggs are useless for these winters. Fall - perhaps but Sorels are the best for winter.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,324,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
This will be our first MN winter (lord help us) and word here is that Uggs are useless for these winters. Fall - perhaps but Sorels are the best for winter.
We retired north instead of south as we prefer the four seasons and enjoy the snow. Do not like the heat and humidity either. We buy Lands End boots, have down comforters. Most important is to dress in layers, which will keep you nice and warm, hats and gloves. Micro fibers are lightweight and keep you warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or