Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,350,795 times

Advertisements

I'm moving across town but will not have a place by the time I need to be out of mine, so I need storage for a month or two for nearly all my stuff while I find another home and crash at friends. What do you recommend?

- PODS? Can their biggest POD, a 16x8x8 fit the majority of a 3 bed room (only two people live there) home's contents? Two PODS nearly doubles the cost so I don't know if I want to do that. I do have friends in the area that are willing to hold some of my stuff if I can't fit it all in the POD

- Movers and storage? This is by far the most expensive option, but obviously the most conveinent. They come, pack all your stuff, store it, than bring it to the new destination.

- Renting a Uhaul and getting my own self storage. My drawback here is ill have to load and unload twice and I have to deal with multple companies and rent a truck twice.

What are your recomendations? What have you done? I think I'm leaning towards the POD but I'm concerned it might be too small.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 11:35 PM

62 posts, read 834,843 times
i went to the uhaul site and selected their pod option. they have a way to estimate how many pods you will need, or how big of one. maybe that will work for you, and if you wish to go with PODS instead maybe it will translate

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
How about a combination of PODS ans self-storage, if needed ??

Load all big heavy items in POD first, save until last small boxes or stuff that would be manageable by whatever car you have (clothes, books, etc).

Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 PM

14 posts, read 58,235 times
go with 2 pods units to fit all of your stuff and use a pods coupon to save on the cost. R101 should save you 10%. That's the code i used to save $75.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,161 times
I did ABF-Upack a few years ago when I moved from Michigan to Missouri, ended up being right around $1000. What they do is drop one of the half length semi-trailers for you to pack, then pick it up and move it, drop it at your new place and give you time to unpack. I was VERY pleased with their service.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 AM

444 posts, read 820,328 times
Have you gotten quotes? Everything comes back to the mighty (wimpy ) dollar!

If money isn't an issue, then I would consider moving my self. Mainly because movers don't care about your stuff the way you do AND you are not moving very far.

Moving is always hard on stuff. Being that your stuff will be moved in and out of a truck 4 times, I would think you would rather do it. Also, you get to pick your storage unit instead of them doing it.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
I'm moving across town but will not have a place by the time I need to be out of mine, so I need storage for a month or two for nearly all my stuff while I find another home and crash at friends. What do you recommend?

- PODS? Can their biggest POD, a 16x8x8 fit the majority of a 3 bed room (only two people live there) home's contents? Two PODS nearly doubles the cost so I don't know if I want to do that. I do have friends in the area that are willing to hold some of my stuff if I can't fit it all in the POD

- Movers and storage? This is by far the most expensive option, but obviously the most conveinent. They come, pack all your stuff, store it, than bring it to the new destination.

- Renting a Uhaul and getting my own self storage. My drawback here is ill have to load and unload twice and I have to deal with multple companies and rent a truck twice.

What are your recomendations? What have you done? I think I'm leaning towards the POD but I'm concerned it might be too small.....
Usually PODS is the most expensive option for the moving part, but since your move involves storage time, then I would suggest PODS even if it costs more. Think about how long it will take to unload and load all that stuff an add'l time at the storage place, and how much damage you risk in the process. How much $$ is that worth to you. Obviously paying someone else to do it all is the easiest, but it gets really expensive and you rhave the risk of someone else handling your stuff who doesn't really care if it get's broken or not.

When I last moved, didn't want to leave it all our stuff in storage some. So I rented a mobile home for a few months between the move-out and move-in date and used its extra bedroom for everything that would have been in storage (we needed a place to live anyways and didn't want to impose on friends that long). We wrapped and boxed everything up really good on the move-out and just rented a truck for the day to move a few miles over to the temporary place. Then I rented another truck for a 1-way drive (1200 miles) to my new place, so that I could deliver all the delicate, over-size and odd-shaped items on my own. Then I flew back home and got ready for the rest of the move. Finally, we paid a commercial mover to load all our boxes and well-padded furniture and unload it at the other end. We did all the padding and packing on our own… pad and shrink-wrap EVERYTHING and you'll see 1/10th the damage at the end. I even shrunk wrapped-some of my house plants to make them more like a box that a mover could handle roughly without damaging it. Also move anything really delicate/valuable on your own and the damage will be even less. The whole move cost us about $5k (not including what I had to pay of the temporary home) which is still very cheap for a x-country move. I could have paid less, but I've seen a lot of damage from moves in the past and this time I saw almost none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues