Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM

360 posts, read 1,532,693 times

Advertisements

I just used ABF to send 2 relocubes from CA to AL. The inside of the relocube is about 2" short on each side of 6' x 7', meaning it's about 70" x 82". I did not verify 8' height. Measure your mattress to compare; you will most likely have to stand it up along the 82" side if that is big enough. (A Cal King is 72" x 84", and I believe it's smaller than an Eastern King, so you may not be able to get the mattress in there unless you put it diagonally.) I had taped off 6' x 7' squares in my garage while accumulating all the boxes, etc. to see how/if everything would fit, and the very first thing I did when the cubes arrived was to measure exactly the number of inches I had to work with... I did have to make a few adjustments to make sure the doors would close! Use the height to your advantage and pack from back to front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 PM

6 posts, read 17,736 times
Thanks AnotherBravesFan. I actually ended up checking out the website and looks like it will figure i would post just in case any one else was wondering.
Eastern size bed - 76" x 80" are the measurements.

Interior Dimensions:70" X 82' X 93"

Old 08-25-2009, 06:26 PM

18 posts, read 47,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
I just used ABF to send 2 relocubes from CA to AL. The inside of the relocube is about 2" short on each side of 6' x 7', meaning it's about 70" x 82". I did not verify 8' height. Measure your mattress to compare; you will most likely have to stand it up along the 82" side if that is big enough. (A Cal King is 72" x 84", and I believe it's smaller than an Eastern King, so you may not be able to get the mattress in there unless you put it diagonally.) I had taped off 6' x 7' squares in my garage while accumulating all the boxes, etc. to see how/if everything would fit, and the very first thing I did when the cubes arrived was to measure exactly the number of inches I had to work with... I did have to make a few adjustments to make sure the doors would close! Use the height to your advantage and pack from back to front.

If you don't mind me asking, about how much did the 2 relocubes run you and were you satisfied with the company? Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,736 times
I would like to know that as well. I called today and got a quote for $1411 for one going from San Diego to Atlanta.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM

18 posts, read 47,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltosd View Post
I would like to know that as well. I called today and got a quote for $1411 for one going from San Diego to Atlanta.

Thanks!

You know, from what I've read, ABF really does have the best prices. Your quote is great!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 AM

942 posts, read 2,519,053 times
You might consider checking with Broadway Express. My quote was less money than ABF and I couldn't have the truck in my driveway for 3 days because of the HOA.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM

360 posts, read 1,532,693 times
Default My ABF experience

Mine was a little over $2,100. The price varies by date and probably by location... On both ends, I lived at least 30 miles from their terminal. The closer to the end of the month, the higher the price...unfortunately, I had to book a date close to the end of the month because of my home sale. Using space in the trailer is cheaper, but I there wasn't a long enough space to park it right outside my house. I didn't want to have to lug stuff down the street... I was generally happy with ABF, though the driver on the front end did not deliver my empty cubes on time (ended up being about 3 hours outside the time window). The back end service in AL was great, however.

Last edited by AnotherBravesFan; 09-02-2009 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: add details

Old 09-06-2009, 10:28 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
We were very happy with our household ABF move. We packed a full pup trailer not a relocube. ABF was very professional, on time and charged exactly what we were quoted. If you are packing a trailer make sure you rent their ramp - we couldn't have done the loading/unloading without it. I'd recommend buying a good dolly from HomeDepot - you'll need it at both ends of the move. ABF ran into some rainy weather and the front bottom edge of the trailer let some water in - so be careful what you pack on the floor against that wall. You will also need ropes for tie down - stuff will shift more than you think. Our chest freezer sprung a freon leak with the jostling & was DOA. We needed the full 3 days at both ends- it was tiring but we would definitely use them again.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:03 PM

33 posts, read 247,182 times
We just recently used a upack storage container to move from the East Coast to the West Coast...my husband only put one padlock on the cube (apparently there are two doors, and you can put a lock on each)...is this an issue? Did you guys use one lock or two? Is our stuff going to get stolen?

Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,022,098 times
I've been reading horror stories about moving companies. Did anyone have a bad experience with ABF? We think we'd be better off driving a Uhaul (or different company) and have a family member help us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues