U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 PM

896 posts, read 3,920,967 times

Advertisements

We've moved three times in the last two years. Every move is tough. No matter where you live, there's an adjustment period -- even if you move a couple of hours from where you originally live.

I have figured out that I am usually miserable for the first nine months we live somewhere new. The first winter is always the toughest, too.

Joining group activities with my little ones (My Gym, Gymboree, Mommy and Me Art, Music Together) has been a great life life. I won't say that I've made friends at any of these activities but it's nice to get out the house (and have a reason to shower!), have adult conversation and get some interaction for my little ones.

Moving always feels isolating. But the one thing I've learned is to keep my chin up and try not to complain to my husband too much. He's already stressed out with a new job and doesn't need to be constantly worrying about me.

It will get better.

P.S.-I've moved with a three month. I've moved pregnant. I've moved with a six month old. And I've moved with four under the age of 5. I've also moved twice by myself. My husband had already left and we joined him (which meant I was in charge of all logistics of packing, loading, moving, and transporting myself and kids to new location). It's very stressful but I realized that I'm a much more put-together person than I originally thought.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 PM

267 posts, read 1,704,089 times
Things up here in VT are going alot better. I've made some good friends and we are settled in. The weather is fabulous in the spring and summer and we are having fun playing with the kids outside. I'm not homesick anymore. I still miss family and friends but we keep in touch so that helps.

Still don't know if we want to stay up here though but don't know if I want to go back to Houston either. Now that I know that I can survive up here on my own away from everything I've ever known, I'm not so scared to move again.

To me the main dislike about vermont is the long long winter. Its fun for a few months but after that I'm ready for some warm weather. I would like to live in a mid to big city with all four seasons, low crime, pretty scenery, short winter, family oriented and a bit more culture. I know thats kind of broad range of whats ideal for us and that could be anywhere in the US. We've heard Raleigh, NC and Salt Lake City, UT are good places but we've never been to either place so I don't know?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM

896 posts, read 3,920,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv80s View Post
Things up here in VT are going alot better. I've made some good friends and we are settled in. The weather is fabulous in the spring and summer and we are having fun playing with the kids outside. I'm not homesick anymore. I still miss family and friends but we keep in touch so that helps.

Still don't know if we want to stay up here though but don't know if I want to go back to Houston either. Now that I know that I can survive up here on my own away from everything I've ever known, I'm not so scared to move again.

To me the main dislike about vermont is the long long winter. Its fun for a few months but after that I'm ready for some warm weather. I would like to live in a mid to big city with all four seasons, low crime, pretty scenery, short winter, family oriented and a bit more culture. I know thats kind of broad range of whats ideal for us and that could be anywhere in the US. We've heard Raleigh, NC and Salt Lake City, UT are good places but we've never been to either place so I don't know?
My husband just returned from a business trip to Salt Lake and Park City and he loved it. He just doesn't think I would like the long winter and the ice and snow. Raleigh is a great city. You should also check out Charlotte and Greenville, SC in your search for good places to live.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:56 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,199,458 times
Quote:

That's great to hear.

When I lived in suburban Cincinnati, I made friends and developed a fairly active social life fairly quickly. In fact, within two weeks, I was beginning to limit my calls back home more and more. I had a blast there.

Louisville is a different story. People were very slow to warm up or even show courtesy to this "newbie." I lived there for nine months and continued attending college there for another three years. There are only 2-3 not-so-close friends/good acquiatances that I'll keep in touch with, but that's it. Any time I thought I had developed a good friendship (especially with the natives,) it just fizzled out and/or the person turned out to be a complete jerks. I'd never move back there if I could help it.

My point is, I understand the moving pains as well as the growing pains that come with them. Continue to stick it out, and even if you move back to Houston you'll leave Vermont with fond memories and a favorable expression about it.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 PM

663 posts, read 2,033,584 times
Quote:

Aw, sweetie, that is good to hear. I am so happy for you. It gives me hope for me.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:51 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,414,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
Ah...I can't even say that I can "give it a year".... because in a year the things I wanted where I moved from will no longer be there! I sold my house, gave up my job.... I thought I would be ok with the move but I am not.

Same here, but it is more about having had to pull my son out of high school for the move. Having a job has to come first, and I exhausted where we were, even willing to drive far for a job, or take something outside my field. I thought outside of the box, but the economy was something else.

I looked around me, and everyone, and I mean everyone was doing wonderfully but me. Yet, there were no jobs. I wondered how they were doing it, and tried to find out.

Finally, the bills piled up and I decided to take an offer out of state. We left everyone we knew and know no one here.

I took a job no one wanted, and it is putting a roof over our heads, and food on the table, but I will tell you, I didn't like having to move for a job, when I felt it was my only option.

IF people can move, just because they want a different area to live in, more power to them, but I moved for survival reasons.

I am amazed how others can just make things go their way, do what they want, live where they want, and have time and money to do anything they want.

That's what 2 college degrees got me...not very much, and I am a hard worker.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:56 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,414,936 times
And...I also think...it doesn't matter where I live, if I had enough money to do the things I want to do, live decently and safely, and have friends and family around, heck, I'd take that.
I don't care what CNN, Money, Fortune, MSNBC, or any of those spin gurus say about best livable cities. Home is where you have people to spend your holidays with. Home is where those favorite restaurants are. Home is where you know things about the area. Home is having memories of being there long enough to feel a part of the place. Home is where you sigh when the plane lands and you say in your head "I'm home."

Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM

663 posts, read 2,033,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
And...I also think...it doesn't matter where I live, if I had enough money to do the things I want to do, live decently and safely, and have friends and family around, heck, I'd take that.
I don't care what CNN, Money, Fortune, MSNBC, or any of those spin gurus say about best livable cities. Home is where you have people to spend your holidays with. Home is where those favorite restaurants are. Home is where you know things about the area. Home is having memories of being there long enough to feel a part of the place. Home is where you sigh when the plane lands and you say in your head "I'm home."
OMG. I think I am in love with you! LOL!

Well said, and I totally agree.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,553,520 times
luvs80 - We moved twice since 1997. We moved from CA to CT when the kids were babies...my mom's only grands. She drenched them with tears as they were being dressed for the flight. I got locked out of the house with a 4 month old and a 2 year old inside the house in a blizzard in April, 2 days after we landed! Had to call the cops and the neighbors and walk through knee-high snow to get to the street in PJ's and fuzzy slippers. I know how you feel...we moved again and we're in the Carolinas...

You're in VT...normally a beautiful and idyllic location, but not much to do. My suggestion is this summer, go to New Hampshire. There's much more stuff for kids and families...Santa's Village and the entire White Mountains and Lake Winnipasakee. There is plenty to do in MA, ME, RI and CT. You just have to move around your area a little bit to find that there is stuff to do. I had a friend who moved from CT to Wyoming! They needed a snowmobile to get around their yard! That is even more miserable in my mind...but that's where the hubby's job is and so you have to make the most out of it. Soon you will adjust and so will your kids and maybe after the 2 years is up, you won't want to move after all.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 57,252 times
It is tough. Now that i have two kids and am facing moving away myself (to Fort Worth area) I realize how precious family is and feel like it is a great injustice taking my kids away from the grandparents when husband and I both grew up with ours; enriching our lives tremendously. I don't want my mom to be the crazy grandma they visit on special occasions or summer break. My family was my family and I am taking that away from my kids. It doesn't help I have a friend that moved away from her family with two little ones and is struggling so much and just has days on end that she feels so tired and angry all the time. And, unlike me, she was happy and really looking forward, totally gung-ho, about moving away and now look...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or