Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on how well the two of you get along. I tried living with my sister and we almost wound up getting a divorce!

Seriously, if you room with someone who is not related to you and it doesn't work out you can walk away and never see them again. When you room with family and there are problems, the rest of the family may stick their collective noses in the situation and you will have more than just one person to deal with.

Plus, you can avoid a former roommate if it's just another roommate, but you can't detach yourself from a relative even if you are no longer living with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 04:50 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,309 times
Karla summed it up well. I'm in my 50s and have been living for 1.5 years with a housemate in a small house that is like an apartment.
I can't wait to move out on my own, which hopefully will be by Dec. 1. You say you want to do it to help your sister's pocket -- I would advise that she advertise for a roommate and select someone. As people have said, if it doesn't work out, either can end the situation. I think the biggest issues for me with the housemate have been that she is extremely social and extremely talkative, and I am the opposite on both counts, so those aspects really get on my nerves. Also, she doesn't need as much sleep, and keeps much later/earlier hours, and at times I go to work tired. Finally, she is extremely clean and I am not.
It's amazing that we've lasted as long as we have but as I said I'm looking to leave. Housing in DC is extremely expensive. If you do move with your sister, will it be into "her" place? That's an important dynamic. If someone has the place first, he or she has the upper hand. Before you do it, discuss how each of you handles certain things--level of cleanliness, general cleaning, entertaining (how often), relationships (in terms of people staying over), hours, finances, amenities (does she want cable and you don't), music-listening and TV habits. Even drinking. I drink rarely if at all and have lived around people who drink a lot -- I didn't end up being comfortable.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I would SO love to go back to living solo. But I know very few people, in about 4 states, that can afford to do that anymore. Okay so I dont know of too many 'rich' people but the reality is, sometimes you need 'alone' time. I miss that.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:02 AM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
I've lived alone alot, but also had roomies.... maybe go stay at your sisters for a few days , like a sleep over and see how it works!

Sometimes I like having a roomie around, which I do now.. but other times I wanna be left alone...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerUser000 View Post
I've lived alone alot, but also had roomies.... maybe go stay at your sisters for a few days , like a sleep over and see how it works!

Sometimes I like having a roomie around, which I do now.. but other times I wanna be left alone...
Good suggestion amongst so many! After literally decades of different living situations - husbands, solo, room-mates, S/Os - I've lived solo now for over 15 years and wouldn't change a thing. Frankly I would rather walk into the whirling blades of a helicopter than ever co-habit with anyone ever again unless the living premises were a bloody great big mansion where the inhabitants had to call each other on the 'phone to see if whoever wanted to share dinner or social time!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,130 times
Live with your sister. You won’t be able to do this later in life. Years from now you two can talk fondly about the good times you had. If you are still talking to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues