U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:51 PM

9 posts, read 20,859 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me tips about moving from Louisiana to Virgina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valencia29 View Post
Get rid of as much stuff as you can before moving, the less stuff you move the easier/cheaper it will be.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:34 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
If you have kids, be prepared for them to adjust to Virginia's schools. Louisiana is in the Mid 30s in education while Virginia is in the Top 10.

Could you be more specific with the areas of LA and VA?

Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,335,883 times
I am now teaching in VA, came from CO. Hard to believe they are top 10. All I see is teaching the test.
Cost of living here is very high, be prepared. I went from 5bedroom 2 bath home with a 1000k monthly mortgage to 1500 for a townhome.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 PM

23 posts, read 60,054 times
Default Moving from Louisania to Virginia

Your question is very hard to answer. Virginia is a lovely state but it is very large will you be relocating to Northern Virginia? Commuting will be the single biggest test of where you will want to live next will be affordability based on your commute. I am sure folks would be happy to help you once they have a general idea of what area may work for you.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:22 PM

519 posts, read 1,607,339 times
A car would be more efficient than walking. Have enough funds for your move. And ensure to service your car (if you choose to use one) before your long drive.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 AM

9 posts, read 20,859 times
Default moving from Louisiana to Virgina

Hello,

I am not sure which part I want to move to. I would like to move
in a area where they have good jobs, good education, and low crime.Do
you have any particular advice on good areas in Virgina?

Old 11-27-2009, 05:50 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am not sure which part I want to move to. I would like to move
in a area where they have good jobs, good education, and low crime.Do
you have any particular advice on good areas in Virgina?
Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are possibilities. So are some of the Richmond suburbs.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:14 PM

250 posts, read 821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I am now teaching in VA, came from CO. Hard to believe they are top 10. All I see is teaching the test.
Cost of living here is very high, be prepared. I went from 5bedroom 2 bath home with a 1000k monthly mortgage to 1500 for a townhome.
I find VA in the top 10 extremely hard to believe. My kids came from san diego schools and they are sooo far ahead of VA standards its actually quite sad. Im nervous about moving back to Ca now. What my child is doing in first grade in Virginia now he was doing at the beginning of K. In fact, he is in first grade now and they haven't started even on doing math that he had mid Kindergarten. sad sad. I suppose I do hear the same old rhetoric of "oh they have the best schools" BS anywhere you go.

Original poster--don't worry too much about the schools. They're average at best no matter how many kids can ace the test. Maybe its the standard that is lower so more kids can pass and make it look like they have the best schools.

As far as moving...go through your household goods, get rid of what you can. Cost of living is higher in VA so take this into account. There is alot to do here, enjoy!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:28 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are possibilities. So are some of the Richmond suburbs.
Too expensive - coming from Louisiana she'll have sticker shock. She would be much better off in a place like Roanoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or