U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM

4,919 posts, read 10,519,122 times

Advertisements

This is my general experience.

Reserve through the rental location, not the call center. Don't know what the deal is, but every rental we done at the rental center brings big smiles over them getting the reservation from the national center. Maybe they get a bigger cut, but they always threat you better.

Speak to them about the move and equipment recommendation. We had one rental where they asked if we could wait a few days as they would have a brand new rental available that just completed the breakin maintenance. The call center won't go into that type of details.

Don't forget to ask about the real gas mileage. A cheaper rate from one company could get you a gas hog and in the end, it cost more.

Make sure you look at the truck you will be renting. Not all trucks are the same from one company to another. Sit in the drivers seat. Look out the windows as if driving, check to see how it feels using the mirrors. Check how the seatbelts feel on you. If a long trip, how comfortable are the seats and how relax is the driving position. Check the height of the deck. UHauls use lower decks so less hauling up a ramp. If you have very heavy things, plan on how you will get those in the back. Look behind the seats to see how much room there is for your personal stuff like coolers or a overnight bag.

Last edited by PacificFlights; 12-09-2009 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 PM

454 posts, read 600,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
We have always used Uhaul, mostly because of brand familiarity and convenience. We had issues in the past, i.e bad truck, bad brakes, etc.

We are about to embark on a pretty big move-from Houston to Laramie WY. I've searched the big 3: Penske, Budget, and Uhaul. Penske has the best deal and they seem to have less complaints than Uhaul.

Can y'all give me some of your experiences and opinions? I want safety and reliability, but I also want cost effective.

Thanks in advance!
-Betsy
I tried all of them and Penske is the best in price and newer truck without any problem. Uhaul is the worst of the 3 that left me stranded in the desert under 118F, and twice with a blown tires all within a same truck/trip.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 7,647,968 times
Used a 16' Penske truck to move from NY to AZ. Truck was brand new with less than 300 miles on it. Ran like a dream and we did the trip in just 2.5 days.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,032,180 times
I had a 16 foot Penske with a car carrier for a move from IL to NC. Had no problems at all and would hesitate to tell someone to use there trucks.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 AM

62 posts, read 114,734 times
Another vote for Penske. I've used them for 3 different moves and the trucks have always been low mileage and less than 2-3 years old. Used U-haul twice for in-town moves and both times the trucks were old and beaten up with a ton of miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues