U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 07:46 PM

992 posts, read 2,018,355 times

Advertisements

We have always used Uhaul, mostly because of brand familiarity and convenience. We had issues in the past, i.e bad truck, bad brakes, etc.

We are about to embark on a pretty big move-from Houston to Laramie WY. I've searched the big 3: Penske, Budget, and Uhaul. Penske has the best deal and they seem to have less complaints than Uhaul.

Can y'all give me some of your experiences and opinions? I want safety and reliability, but I also want cost effective.

Thanks in advance!
-Betsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,333,583 times
Last two moves we used Penski with no problems. One move was from MI to NC and second one was from NC to AL. I highly recommend them and the prices are great. Check them out online and get special savings.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,401,902 times
Used Budget from CA to IL and will use them on the way back. No issues at all!

Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 90,345 times
We rented a 26' Penske truck and car hauler moving from OH to FL. Equipment was in great mechanical/operational condition. Absolutely no problems.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 AM

992 posts, read 2,018,355 times
I think we're going with Penske. They were very helpful over the phone, and really took their time. On top of that, their prices were the best. We're doing a 26' truck and a car carrier. Better gas mileage with diesel!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:44 AM

691 posts, read 2,067,868 times
Budget seemed the best to me. I also found a great company, that with the truck, and two men for three hours was only $150 more than the truck alone. I decidedto go with the company, and they showed up with a budget truck! I think that this company contracts work out. So, if you are moving local you might just want to check around with moving companies.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM

4,530 posts, read 6,590,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Budget seemed the best to me. I also found a great company, that with the truck, and two men for three hours was only $150 more than the truck alone. I decidedto go with the company, and they showed up with a budget truck! I think that this company contracts work out. So, if you are moving local you might just want to check around with moving companies.

OP said texas to Wyoming, I don't think thats a local move, even as big as Texas is !!!

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM

3,819 posts, read 8,870,303 times
we used (on a one way rental) a 26'+ Uhaul from WI to SC, had zero problems and got "good" mileage as well. Easier to load/unload with the low floor they have. I did request one with a certain wiring harness in case I needed it to pull my boat--didn't use it for that purpose, but the wiring I requested came on the new versions of the truck. So ours was not one of those "horror stories local beasts" one could get stuck with, but a new truck with only maybe 6k miles on it. I've driven plenty of actual straight trucks, this one was quite easy to motor around.
I'd have no problems recommending one, but I would request a newer vehicle from any company.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:04 AM

101 posts, read 291,919 times
Default Penske truck experiences

deleted

Here's another tip: If you rent a truck and you have any niggling worries on the way home from the truck depot, turnaround and swap trucks. Intermittant warning light? Turnaround. Truck conks out? Turnaround. AC not working. Turnaround. They can swap out a truck in about 10 minutes usually. But, if you've already loaded the truck, then it is much more of a hassle.

Last edited by Beretta; 01-01-2010 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 9,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
Here's another tip: If you rent a truck and you have any niggling worries on the way home from the truck depot, turnaround and swap trucks. Intermittant warning light? Turnaround. Truck conks out? Turnaround. AC not working. Turnaround. They can swap out a truck in about 10 minutes usually. But, if you've already loaded the truck, then it is much more of a hassle.
That`s very good advice, we are planning to move from CA to NC and that truck needs to be in good shape.

We wanted to go with Penske after what I read here and they have good prices and the bigger trucks are diesel.

Unfortunately I need to tow my 1/2 ton truck and only U-Haul and Budget let me tow my truck with a tow bar.

Price wise U-Haul asked one grand more than budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues