Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Were it me, I would keep the things I knew I would need, the essentials.

I would wait until I was so established it is not even funny before purchasing new things. With this economy, I do not imagine a lot of people are out there able to buy your things for the price you want/ what you need to replace them for.

I had a pretty dresser set that was mine when I was little. This was quality furniture, that was a problem my mother had... buying high end furniture... a lot!

So, I moved just 80 miles away after all these years of having that set and sold it before I left.

Now, I have no dresser set and no money to buy a new set. sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:48 PM

88 posts, read 292,290 times
Yeah that's the thing about my baby's furniture. It's really expensive and by time I update it like it needs to be (inorder to use it). I could've brought her a whole new cheap bedroom set. One she can jump and draw on without my hair falling out. *Sigh* But I guess buying the rails would look nicer and hold up better. IDK

Old 09-19-2009, 02:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAVA804 View Post
I will be relocating next year (18months). I went back to school to finish my degree so my stuff has been in storage for 2 years + . Should I have a yard sale and start over or take that stuff with me? Stuff includes 2 bedroom sets, tvs and such, washer and dryer and other applances (blender, toaster etc.). It's hand me down furniture. Did/would you get new stuff to go with your new home and career?
Five years ago, I moved inside the state of Virginia myself (Hampton to Alexandria) and kept most of the old stuff. 5 years later almost all of that old stuff is gone and I have newer stuff. Personally, since you say it's hand-me-down stuff I would replace it when I had the means to do so.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Look at all the money you will save by not having to replace old furniture for new furniture. Even with a new job in this economy I say save, save, save!!!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I hadn't earlier caught the fact that you mention you'll be relocating in 18 months, and not in the immediate future. In that case I think it's a very good point that you could save a lot of money by not continuing to have your stuff in storage. I'd keep some of the basics (some of the furniture, etc.) but be ruthless and get rid of anything extra that you don't need. With luck you'll get something from selling it, but you'll also save a lot of money by not storing and moving it. At the same time, I wouldn't get rid of everything, as buying new can be quite expensive, and there's always other moving and start-up costs to consider.

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of people your age (and older; I'm in my 30s) have hand-me down furniture of varying degrees of niceness. I sometimes feel like our place still looks a little dorm-like, but we're upgrading and getting nicer things as we can afford to do so. And personal preferences vary, I know, but I think the nicest looking interiors usually are accumulated over time; going out and doing a bunch of shopping all at once, even if you can afford it, can result in a cookie-cutter look.

If you do relocate without any, or with little, furniture and need to refurnish, you may also want to consider auctions; you can often buy very nice antiques -- nice solid tables, buffets, side tables, chairs, etc. -- for not much money.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If it makes you feel any better, a lot of people your age (and older; I'm in my 30s) have hand-me down furniture of varying degrees of niceness. I sometimes feel like our place still looks a little dorm-like, but we're upgrading and getting nicer things as we can afford to do so.
My husband and I are in our mid-30s, looking around my living room there is only one chair and a coffee table we bought new. Our couch, TV, large leather ottoman, speaker stands, et are all hand-me-downs. Our dining room is craigslisted, our bar is a hand-me-down.... I could go on. Of course some of that is personal preference. We don't like to spend our money on furniture to replace what is perfectly functional. Its not a money thing, as our income affords us a nice house, three vacations a year, and we still put about 30% into savings.

Back to the specifics of the OP. Since you have 18 months left, pair it down. Sell the crib. If its so nice, clean it up and sell it to a family who needs a crib. Then you can get some children's furniture from some place like Ikea. It will be cheap and won't last, but its kids furniture - it only needs to last 5 or 8 years.

Go through the storage place and add up what it would cost to replace what you have with what you want. Take the couch - you could sell it now (maybe get $50 - couches are hard to sell). Then figure out what you would want to replace it. It doesn't sound like you would be happy with another $50 Goodwill couch. So are you thinking an $800 couch? $1500 couch? Do the same with everything. Then figure out what another 18 months of storage will cost you. Compare the two figures. And don't forget the other expenses of moving, such as rental deposits, etc. If you end up selling everything in the storage space - pay yourself the monthly storage fee into a savings account. Will you be left in an empty apartment b/c you haven't gotten your first paycheck yet? Or will you just put everything new on credit and be paying for it for years? I would say if you can't pay cash, don't buy it.

Another thing - you haven't mentioned how much storage is costing you. Don't know where in VA you are. In NoVA, its probably $100/month, so you are talking another $1800-2000. But if you are down near Blacksburg, you can get storage there for $30/month.

I'm having wistful memories of my first "grown up" apartment after college. The first without roommates and after I had a "real" job. Furnished it with two swivel rockers, a TV stand I picked up at an auction for $10, a kitchen table from my boyfriend's mother. Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues