Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:05 PM

88 posts, read 291,610 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating next year (18months). I went back to school to finish my degree so my stuff has been in storage for 2 years + . Should I have a yard sale and start over or take that stuff with me? Stuff includes 2 bedroom sets, tvs and such, washer and dryer and other applances (blender, toaster etc.). It's hand me down furniture. Did/would you get new stuff to go with your new home and career?

Last edited by VAVA804; 09-13-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM

751 posts, read 2,474,707 times
I would keep it and replace things as I was able to. The last thing you want is to get to where you're going and have to start over. All the little stuff adds up.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,373,327 times
Oh my. You paid storage for 2 years? Ouch!

Sell the big stuff, keep the little stuff you can fit in your car.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Do you know of any places I can sell my stuff (big stuff only) other than online?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:25 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,373,327 times
Storage shed sale? Flyers in college dorms or on bulletin boards? Some grocery stores and churches have community bulletin boards. Give it to a church or charity and take the tax deduction?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,644,700 times
I'd keep most of it, at least for now. The cost of an in-state move shouldn't be that expensive, or at least less than what you'd have to pay to buy new things if you were to purge and then buy all new. Of course do use the opportunity to weed out things you don't want or don't like; might as well do it now!

Depending on how far your move is it may even be considered "local;" we moved from Front Royal, VA to Washington, DC once, and only had to pay the local moving rate.

The other thing about getting rid of something now with the idea that you're going to replace it when you move is that you might get rushed into buying something you don't end up wanting; we got rid of a couch before a move once, and in our new place we ended up buying a couch in a color I've never really liked just because it was in stock and available (furniture orders can take forever, otherwise) and we were desperate and impatient.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,597,893 times
It is expensive to move stuff. It is also expensive to buy new stuff, although good deals are out there at thrift stores and flea markets and such if you are motivated. Moving is a good time to cull our belongings - most of us have way too much stuff anyway. If you are able to set up a garage sale, you can make some money to help you buy new stuff with.

I am packing for a move, and I am only keeping what we really like and use a lot. If you don't love it or won't use it often, don't waste your energy and money on moving it unless there is some other good reason to keep it. For instance, I am keeping my bedroom set even though I am desperately tired of it because a new bedroom set is just not in the cards right now, and the one I have now is good solid furniture. I'm going to replace the pulls and bedding to give it a facelift since I can't replace it right now.

I have been pretty ruthless about getting rid of stuff and I have to say - it feels really good. I should have done this years ago!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
Granted that you don't want to make the classic error of overvaluing your sunk costs, I would still raise a question: if you don't keep and use what you have in storage, what were you storing it for?

I would look at what you have and what you need, and see how much of your needs can be met by what you already own. Keep that, avoid buying again what you already have or don't need, and eliminate what you won't need in your new place.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 PM

I put my stuff in storage during my return to college and never thought about it again. Until I went to the storage unit last month I looked around and realized I've had the same bedroom set since I was 17 and I'm soon to be 26. *crinch* Sitting on the same couch I had when I was 19. Now that I think about it I dont even think the bedroom set is sellable. My daughter's bedroom set is soooo pretty but she was an infant then and will be 5 when we get our new place. My family got her this extra expensive crib/bed but ... you guessed it they didnt get the rails that transform it into a bed and by time I buy the rails and new bolts I could've brought a new bed *sigh* . I went through the bathroom decorations and I hate them. None of my towels and stuff match. It's horrible. Don't get me started on the plastic plates with the decorations rubbing off and the missed matched cups.

I'm a grown woman getting ready to relocate with dormroom attire. I also have my washer and dryer that I dont know what to do with. Personally I want to toss everything and only take select things I can fit in my car and should take my washer and dryer BUT most apartments come with a washer and dryer and it'll be the only reason I would need another vehicle or UHAL which is extra $$$$. What would you do with the washer and dryer? Keep it or sell it? Would you keep the kid's bed or get a new 1?

Old 09-18-2009, 10:33 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,597,893 times
Quote:
I looked around and realized I've had the same bedroom set since I was 17 and I'm soon to be 26. *crinch*
LOL! The bedroom set I mentioned earlier, I have had since I was 12, and I am in my early 30's. Luckily, it is full sized natural oak so it is decent reliable furniture, but ugh I am so sick of it. It was actually a waterbed, but we put a regular mattress in it after one too many kitty cat claw-shaped leaks. It is so old that it has actually come back into style (ala platform beds) which I find amusing and appalling in equal measure.
Quote:
I'm a grown woman getting ready to relocate with dormroom attire. I also have my washer and dryer that I dont know what to do with. Personally I want to toss everything and only take select things I can fit in my car and should take my washer and dryer BUT most apartments come with a washer and dryer and it'll be the only reason I would need another vehicle or UHAL which is extra $$$$. What would you do with the washer and dryer? Keep it or sell it? Would you keep the kid's bed or get a new 1?
If I was you, I'd look into how much it would cost to ship the washer/dryer. It may or may not be worth it. Here at least, many apartment complexes do not have washers and driers in the units, but hook-ups are pretty common. You can find places that include them, but it's definitely not a certainty. Although really, you have the time, why not sell them off and buy new ones if you need to? You can always rent a set pretty reasonably if you need to.

As for the child's bed, it sounds like it has been outgrown. It frankly sounds like (almost?) everything you have has been outgrown in some way. I think maybe you might want to consider selling/donating/trashing the stuff you have in storage and save yourself 18 more months of storage fees. If you put that aside along with the proceeds of any sales, you'll be able to use that to help buy new stuff at your new destination.

Last edited by tilli; 09-18-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues