Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 03:45 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I've moved since college I've been a stranger. It's exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
When I moved to Portland in the 70's I didn't know anyone there. It took awhile to get used to the standoffishness I encountered because I had come from a very friendly city but after a few years I had some good friends. It does take an effort though.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
One yr ago I moved to a city-did not know a soul. Doing good so far ...others might have recommended this but:

meetup.com

In your new city, this can help you find people with the same interests etc....many who join are new to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I know the title may be a bit confusing, but I am set on leaving Buffalo once I graduate in May. Not 100% sure where yet, but I am looking at Knoxville, Lexington, Tulsa, OKC, and Cincinnati. At any rate, my parents live in Buffalo, but are relocating as well, the thing is they aren't sure where.

My whole family moved here when I was 17 from Canada, and none of us like Buffalo. My sister is in college in Florida. So basically, I am going to be moving somewhere where I don't know anyone at all. My other relatives all live in Canada, and I won't move back there, it's a nice place I just love the US too much to ever leave.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Is it tough to get connected with folks when you don't know anyone at all? I have great friends, and they are all leaving Buffalo too (it's a bad town for jobs)... so I don't know what to do.

I've always had many friends, but I know after college people settle down. Is it tough to find friends in a town when you know no one. I'm not afraid to get involved in social groups, I am active in my church, and active politically...

I am a male if that helps... Oh, and sorry if this is the wrong forum, it just seemed right. And another thing, "just don't move" isn't an option. Buffalo is a dying town, the average starting salary out of college for my field in Buffalo is $38,000, in other cities outside of NY, it is $49,000... not to mention my county is the 4th highest taxed (in aggregate) in the entire country. I am getting out of Buffalo, and moving to a more Conservative state... So that being said, what do I need to know? Anything to go for or to avoid? Any personal success stories?

Thanks...

Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalicka View Post
I am moving soon to somewhere I barely know about.. how do you find out what is where and how to get around? Do I just research the place? Or spend time there? I'm scared because I'm moving with just me and my daughter and I don't want to move in the wrong part of town or anything like that.
It's nice now because we have access to the Internet and zillions of websites and social networking. Back in the days before the Internet it was much more difficult to learn about new places, where to live and not live etc. I've lived all over the U.S. and loved the experience of moving. Settled down finally.

My recommendation is to not commit yourself to buying a house immediately. Rent an apartment or townhome for awhile and learn the area. We did that when we moved to Minnesota and so thankful we did. Go to the state forums here on City-Data and find the one where you're going to live and start asking questions. People are extremely helpful on this site.

Go to the chamber of commerce website for that city and have them send you a packet on relocation (it is usually free). I don't know what or why this is, but in every city I've ever lived, the west side of town is usually the nicest and most upscale. The east side is usually much more sketchy.

Go to the website for the school districts in the town you plan on moving and get a feel for what the schools are like. You can tell a lot about an area by the schools. Look at the "about us" page of schools to get a feel for the type of people you'd interact with. That will again tell you a lot about the area. For instance, here in Minneapolis we learned that the suburb of Brooklyn Center is not the place to live, but we were told there are "pockets" that are good and others not so good. Our kids were not in school yet so we didn't know much about schools.

Again, best bet is to go to the state specific forums on this site and you will get a lot of info from the other posters. People are extremely helpful on this site.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:40 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
I've moved like that many times and it usually works out great if you're open to new people, new things.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:38 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,065 times
We are retired and moved 850 miles away ( January)

We don't know anyone and that is fine with me.

We keep in touch with kids/grandkids via internet and telephone.

We have been back once and 2 of the kids have been here once.

( 3rd kid coming next weekend )

Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Yes. I did two years ago. I moved to a place that resonated for me. And I have met good friends. I really didn't know anyone until I moved here, and noe I have many friends.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:24 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
I'm still attempting to take this particular plunge myself.
When it comes to interacting with people, I tend to be more of a reactive where I wait for someone else to fire up the conversation.
Work-wise, it'll probably be a local milk-trucking job I'm getting into.
So for the initial few months or so, it'll probably be that same formula where I get to know people solely through work.
However, I've also performed a bit of research on the town of Clovis NM and found they had a few gyms and even a small bicycle shop.
Perhaps I could slowly go about branching off through places like these once I get settled in.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 AM

21 posts, read 24,381 times
No i have not experienced any such situation because i had no chance for that!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
We just did it. We closed on a house in Pittsburgh on Monday and know not a soul. We are a family of four. My kids will thrive at the school and we will get to know people.

Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues