U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,788,538 times

Advertisements

Ok, finally, we have a good job with benefits! After 3 years of unemployment/underemployment, my husband has a decent job.

Its in another state. He currently lives there in an efficiency apt, we plan to sell the house and move later. Our plan is to see how the job works out before just chasing the job, I've kown too many people who were burned by doing so. Aslo, we have two kids in school.

I plan to get the house in shape, put it on the market next spring, hopefully sell it and move over the summer. But looking at all this stuff

We've lived here 10+ years. I try to de clutter the stuff, but it just keeps growing! I'm sorting stuff now, getting rid of things one drawer, closet at a time. But we can't get rid of stuff we're currently using. Just use it up and buy only what we need.

I plan to have a garage sale or two, donate to Goodwill, etc, but still, as I sit here looking around, I feel perhaps I'm trapped forever by all this stuff? Anyone else ever feel this way? Like something out of a sci fi horror, trapped by the junk!

I'm doing an "evaluation" what I would take and leave. Our employer will pay $4000 of moving expenses, so we could hire a van and move some of this, but I'm not taking all of it. I'm doing an "evaluation" of what to ditch. Most of my furniture isn't worth moving. I will keep the same old junk and buy "new' when we get there. BTW, Goodwill is a great place to furniture shop, many people are in the same boat, can't afford to move stuff, so donate it. Just a giant circle.

I'm just feeling so dicsouraged right now, what to do with all this clutter? Ok, people move everyday, they manage.

I plan to leave the washer/dryer and fridge, they're old, in good condition, could be a selling point. They cost too much to move. Also, will leave most of our gardening equipment for the new buyer. My dishes and pots and pans aren't worth moving. Problem is, you can't get rid of that stuff while you're still using it. since our time frame is almost a year, guess we will ditch most of the stuff closer to moving time.

My main problem is all the paperwork. Guess now is the time to go through and shred all the old stuff, and make back up copies of important papers, should be doing that, anyways.

Also, for Christmas, not get a lot of stuff, just small items we can move easily, like Wi and nintendo games.

Well, guess I'm just looking for encouragement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 10:50 AM

335 posts, read 1,353,345 times
Wink I did it. So can you!

My best recommendation is to get rid of as much as possible. Don't let a week go by without making some progress! When the people at the Goodwill or Salvation Army dropoff site start to recognize you, then you know you are well on your way to a clutter free home. Keep plugging away as you are... It sounds as if you are on the right track. Boxing things up takes 3 times more time, money (for all the boxes, tape, and bubble wrap), and energy than you ever thought it would. Better to donate knick-knacks, extra clothing, old towels and linens, dishes, etc. than to be weighed down by them. Ask yourself: Do I love this enough to keep it/pack it/haul it/unpack it/store it at my next place? Or,can I replace it fairly inexpensively after I move?

Like you, my husband moved first, and I stayed behind to stage and sell the house. Less is more when staging! I boxed up old documents, out of season clothing, extra dishes I rarely used, holiday decorations, etc. and stacked them neatly in the garage. You want your rooms and closets to look spacious and well-organized, and that means a lot emptier than they probably are now. I thought I had been pretty ruthless in paring down before my move, but it turns out that when I arrived here, we had doubles and triples of lamps, kitchen appliances, and other "necessities", since we had been operating 2 households for a while. So that meant MORE trips to Goodwill, postings on Freecycle, etc. after I had hauled it all across the country!

So, don't despair... Get rid of something today! It's empowering, and your items can be reused by someone else who needs them more than you do. A win-win situation!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM

52 posts, read 126,195 times
I can fully understand your dilemma. We moved between apartments and that was a huuggeee deal. I cannot imagine moving the house.

Well, I would suggest, shredder and free classifieds are your best friends right now. Take out all the stuff that needs to be moved. Separate the ones you haven't used in at least more than 8+ months.

1) For all the unused items, post them on free classifieds like khrido.com or craigslist.com Just pick your location, and post in relevant category. Put your prices as "please contact" or negotiable.

2) For all the paperwork, separate all your tax paperwork, mortgage, utility bills and other important paperwork from the rest. Look through the "rest" of the paperwork and the ones you deem not important, look through them again. Once you have decided you do not need them at all, shred them. If you really want to be careful not to shred any important document, click a pic with digital camera and save it on disk. You can save a copy of all your paperwork on disc just to be safe.

Good Luck on your move.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:12 PM

122 posts, read 374,921 times
We just did a 1600 mile move. Fresh advice

Go through your paperwork. If it's important file it. If it's not shred it, save the shredded material - it makes great packing around wrapped items. Also, keep out documents you might need while on your trip. Make a list of all the utilities you have so you can turn them off, and have your husband get a post office box so you can make sure your mail is forwarded or an address change is in effect.

As you go through stuff and get ready to get rid of it do a few things first. Check Craigslist.org in the location your moving to. This will give you a good idea about prices and availability. Also when you say "I'll replace this when I get there" ask yourself two questions; "can I afford to replace this?" and "will I replace this? (in a timely manner if it's something you need)."

It is easier to pack a truck if the boxes are a specific range of sizes - we used "bankers' boxes" and made sure we only had a few other sizes. They'll stack easier that way. Label the boxes on one side and the top, use arrows to indicate the top. Be sure to pack a couple boxes of stuff you'll need until you have everything else unpacked - toilet paper, paper towels, basic stuff to cook a simple meal and eat, shampoo and soap, etc.

When you enlist friends to help make sure that you don't enlist anyone who eschews owning anything of value because they won't give a hoot about your stuff. Wrap your furniture or pad it well.

I know that it's cheap to use newspaper to pack. Don't. Use linens and towels to wrap large fragile items. Layer shredded material in the bottom of the box, then place the wrapped items and surround with more shred. Buy the clean wrapping paper - I know it's a little more expensive but it's better than arriving at your destination with everything needing to be washed because it's filty from the ink.

One of our friends thought, sweetly, that she would pack like items together from all over the house - NO! One room at a time, everthing for your computer should be in one box - everything for the TV/Stereo/etc. should be in the same box - or label and number the boxes.

My daughters number all of the boxes and keep a list of the box number and the contents. A bit OCD - but it works.

I've got more, but need to get to work on unpacking.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,788,538 times
I've moved before, its a chore!

I refuse to have a moving company pack our stuff. I did before, I sorted until I was silly, they estimated 250 boxes, I pruned it down to 100 boxes, still I was appalled at what they packed.

I had everything sorted, but they packed anything and everything to make a box. They packed a whole box with nothing but a roll of paper towels! Another box had a roll of toilet paper, a small disposable plastic dish with a few slivers of soap, and an empty pump bottle of liquid hand soap. Just stuff in the bathroom for last minute cleanup, they packed that! Each box was $15-$20, and they charge you a ton for packing paper. Then we had all the boxes in storage upon arrival, we didn't get around to unwrapping many boxes for weeks, then found out we'd paid to pack, ship and store essentially nothing!

We plan to pack everything ourselves this time, and, like another poster suggested, keep a list of what's inside each box.

We will NOT get "friends and family" to help with the move. We've done that before, things have a way of disappearing or getting "broken". Our company will pay up to $4000 for moving, we will use that to hire a mover, just make sure to pack it yourself.

Also, you really don't want "friends and family" "helping" you. Its a way to get inside your stuff. Really, its better for strangers who are bonded and insured to get at your stuff.

Also, during the move, get a safe deposit box to lock up any valuable papers, make sure there's no access to important papers, store them in locked boxes, etc, lock up any valuables, or they will disappear, trust me, its happened to us. Its a true headache, trying to sort your stuff, move, and a place to live intermin. Try doing all that while keeping people from robbing you blind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues