Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:35 PM

235 posts, read 769,840 times

Advertisements

This is just about what I was going to ask,If any one had live somewhere there whole lives, & have gone some places & THEN found the place they wanted to move to!!?? I've had pople tell me that I;m to old to go after a dreams but I turn 40 next month & my wife&kids are ready to go!! I know I shouldn't let ppl tell what to do!! I've folks tell me I' need a job,but we are going to start a new buss,I've have had buss in the pass! So I'm ready to go for it,just have to sell the house,and here we come!! Iknow I've Not lost my mind!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 AM

9 posts, read 43,385 times
Always remember that it normally takes a year to adjust to a new environment. I counseled several transferees over the years that were relocated due to jobs. I experienced this myself in 1999 when I moved from Connecticut to Los Angeles. I stayed a year, debated it and move back east. Within 3 months I knew I made the wrong decision to go back home. Always follow your heart and go where you're happy.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 AM

4 posts, read 57,729 times
Wow thank you for all the great replies! I am definitely going to move back there when I finish school and try it again..I think it would be nice just to move out there again and even if i realize it's not where I want to be, I can take the opportunity to explore the east coast, something i've done little of. It seems like i'm not the only one with a situation like this. I feel overwhelmed, like it's so hard to find the perfect place to live because there are so many places.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,855,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samstersmom View Post
I am from Upstate NY and moved to Maryland in 2000. My husband and I missed our family and friends in NY so we moved back in 2006 and it was not what we expected. We knew Upstate NY had crappy jobs but we figured that we would make do as long as we were with family. It wasn't until we were back for a few months that we realized that living in Maryland was so much better. We had great jobs and there was so much to do, and the weather was alot better. In NY our family/friends had their own lives and we only occasionally got to see them. We ended up moving back to Maryland last year and know that we will never move back to NY again. At least we got that our of our system and know where the grass is greener.
I am in a similar situation. I am from Indiana and moved to Arizona in 2004. I moved back in 2009 after I lost my job and right am forced to live with parents. The interviews I was getting in Arizona were for jobs that paid $30,000 or more per year. So far none of the interviews I have been getting in Indiana pay enough for me to even move out of my parent's house without government assistance. The highest paying interview I have had here in Indiana paid $9.00 an hour. Not only that, I lost my unemployment and am forced to live off student loans. I can't even get a crappy job in Indiana. Now I am considering either moving back to Arizona and trying a different town or trying to find a city with low unemployment numbers in a brand new state. I will likely have to lose part of my retirement to move but I can't stay in an area where I can't even get an job in retail. Plus, the town I am in has been in recession long before the rest of the country and likely won't recover.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM

298 posts, read 995,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I am in a similar situation. I am from Indiana and moved to Arizona in 2004. I moved back in 2009 after I lost my job and right am forced to live with parents. The interviews I was getting in Arizona were for jobs that paid $30,000 or more per year. So far none of the interviews I have been getting in Indiana pay enough for me to even move out of my parent's house without government assistance. The highest paying interview I have had here in Indiana paid $9.00 an hour. Not only that, I lost my unemployment and am forced to live off student loans. I can't even get a crappy job in Indiana. Now I am considering either moving back to Arizona and trying a different town or trying to find a city with low unemployment numbers in a brand new state. I will likely have to lose part of my retirement to move but I can't stay in an area where I can't even get an job in retail. Plus, the town I am in has been in recession long before the rest of the country and likely won't recover.
Hey Bluebelt, Take a look at this link. These are the top 10 cities that are hiring. Maybe you can start applying there and see what happens.
10 Cities That Are Hiring - Photo Gallery, 10 Pictures - LIFE

Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,381,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
I was interested in this thread because I still ---3 years later--- think about moving "home". Hubby has no interest though
Hi, may I ask where in Alaska is home for you?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM

7,068 posts, read 12,580,187 times
I used to live in a small Eastern town and left at 18 to attend college and live in a large Northern California city. Loved it there-- a lively place to live and work. Gorgeous parks and outdoor and cultural offerings. But after spending some time there, I found I was longing for community--a tribe of kindred spirits who had time and desire to be supportive friends. Most of my friends in California had moved on...

So five years ago we moved to a small Southeastern (6000 population) seaport town. It is here that I found what I'd been longing for--lifelong friends and community involvement. Sort of like that song "People Who Need People..." I feel like 'the luckiest people in the world."

For me, it was not so much the location that mattered after a while, as my connection to my community and my 'tribe.' Guess it takes a village to raise me to be a happy adult...

Old 11-13-2009, 03:27 PM

4,411 posts, read 9,096,661 times
I have found that culture and neighborhoods are more important than weather. I screwed up almost 5 years ago, and things have been tough since, but I still have in my sights on a nice laid back southern town with coffee shops, diners, and bars. In the meantime I think I have found a new job, and I am going to focus on this place for now.

Old 11-22-2009, 10:59 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,303,315 times
if 40 is too old to start anew then I'm ancient at 48 but yet, I'm considering another move...it's up to the individual and how you feel. Courage and drive is not age related.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 PM

19 posts, read 32,105 times
I moved with family out of Caifornia in 2005 and settled in Misoouri. Found a home on 11 acres for about 1/5th of a California home. We are in the same boat away from family. But at least once a year either someone comes out or we go back to visit. Its all good. I'll take no neighbors on top of you with only Deer looking in your windows anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues