Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

When do you decide that a place is not for you? When do you say that is enough and pick up stakes again and move?

It's been a long road for us here for 2 years and I can't imagine a worse economic situation except in Detroit.

Anyone want to chime in what was their breaking point for 'leaving' a place they had only lived in a few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Life is short, if you already gave a few years trying to make it work there and it hasn't, start looking for other options.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:27 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,591,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
When do you decide that a place is not for you? When do you say that is enough and pick up stakes again and move?

It's been a long road for us here for 2 years and I can't imagine a worse economic situation except in Detroit.

Anyone want to chime in what was their breaking point for 'leaving' a place they had only lived in a few years?
For me, it was one disaster after another after another. Like nothing was going right and wouldn't EVER be going right. I tried, I really did. But I became so unhappy that I knew it was time to move on....

Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 PM

49 posts, read 159,763 times
I'm almost at my breaking point now. We have only been here for 3 years, but it's been 3 long years. I just want to move back to the DC metro area!!! Every time we go back to visit friends, I NEVER want to come back.
Our HUGE problem is that we've built a house here and our community is STILL building. They are giving the houses away now!! We have lost sooo much money on our house and I just don't know what we are going to do.
However, we are still planning to move back next summer!!! At this particular time, I don't know how we are going to do it, but for our sanity, it needs to be done!!!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:45 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp0502 View Post
I'm almost at my breaking point now. We have only been here for 3 years, but it's been 3 long years. I just want to move back to the DC metro area!!! Every time we go back to visit friends, I NEVER want to come back.
I have the opposite story--lived in the DC Metro area for 9 years, hubby was a native, and hated it almost the whole time! The year before our son started Kindergarten, we decided to move to a more family friendly place. Crime was rising, and housing prices were so high we would never afford anything but a townhouse.

Good luck, and hope there is some way you can go back and be happy!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:56 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
you just feel it, you may never adjust to a place, you feel you don't belong or you see yourself getting more fed up and discouraged every day...life is too short and a year even is enough to know...you shouldn't really base it on what we say, you should be honest with yourself and see what you feel. It's not for anyone but you to know what's right.
the house, money, it's all fine and dandy but it can't make you feel at home..

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Thank you for all replies.

For me it's no jobs and no likelihood of it ever getting better. My husband works nights (hate it, ruins our family time), and I am suspicious about my son's schooling.

There are other things too, like the weather, the lack of 'things' close by (meaning less jobs). I just kind of feel like we've used up all our luck moving a lot and being forty something things may never get any better.

It's hard to be optimistic after really, really trying for 2 years.

I'm ready to go back to the busy suburbs, the good libraries, shopping. (as long as I can get a job).

Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM

109 posts, read 364,279 times
I knew in the first two weeks that my last move was a big mistake. I was given a hassle just to enroll my kids in school despite that I had almost everything legally required. I knew I would not be staying beyond my one year lease within that time period. I have special needs kids so a bad relationship with the school district when I am planning to be a special education teacher does not give me a reason to want to settle in. I am 39 too but WANT to settle somewhere right for me and my family.

Gypsysoul, hang in there. My parents moved a lot when I was a kid because my dad followed work and the local economy. But in sales industry, it's not an issue. You have to have initiative to be willing and able to move but not all interviewers or HR people can value those attitudes.

There are NO jobs in this rural GA county and they haven't been here for about 15 years! So I have no reason to wait around since my "industry" will not be having a revival here anytime soon. I have been VERY angry because I was lied to. Angry because I sacrified a lot to pay overpriced rent because I assumed I would be working and yet I haven't had a single interview except for long distance via the telephone. I wasn't given the option of researching much, and I have regretted that greatly.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:49 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

I have been back in Indiana for 2 months and it has been a LONG TWO MONTHS. I am already feeling like I need to get out of here. Nothing has gone right. I am stuck living with parents and I hate living at home. My parents live in the middle of nowhere and I don't get along with my stepdad. We have been in a fight once and I ran away. I am pretty much at my breaking point now. I was already looking at the cost of flights earlier tonight. Thinking of looking for short term housing in a big city to see if I have better luck.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
The heat, the humidity, the traffic, the meth labs on every corner, stupid neighbors yappy dogs, a divorce where she took most of the planet, my only friends being those whom I worked with, and my family being in another state. After I retired, I said to myself "self WTF?" I sold everything packed my car and moved near my family in the most beautiful state in the nation. I have no regrets and couldn't be happier. Life is too short to stay someplace and be miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues