Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 AM

8 posts, read 29,179 times

Advertisements

Hi there
I am looking to move from Canada to the Us
Specifically Nova Scotia to Delaware when i am originally from
I would need a medium sized moving truck to hold all of our things
( i was looking at a 14 or 17 footer)
BUT
my problem is I neither my fiance can drive a truck
So it would be the two of us plus a drive
Plus we have a small child that would have to be in a car seat

I am having a heck of a time finding a truck with enough cargo space for our stuff and enough seating for all of us!

Anyone have any information that may be of help?
Thank!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM

144 posts, read 389,551 times
Can you drive a car? If you can these trucks will be fine for you guys. I drove a 28' truck from Seattle to San Diego this year never having even sat in one before. It took a coupe of hours to feel comfie but then I was fine, you will be too.

Anyway, come on, it's a big adventure just like life

ps of course if you can't drive then

Old 11-29-2009, 12:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,848,232 times
I too drove a moving truck cross country having never driven even a pickup truck before. I just picked route that was as straight as possible, avoided right turns at all costs, and took it slow. I gave myself exceptionally wide clearances.

But even if you can drive a truck, you shouldn't have a kid in a car seat in the front of any vehicle, I don't think. And no, there are no four passenger or extended cab moving trucks.

You are going to have to rent a car for your family to move. Either one of you can drive the car with the kid and the other drive the truck, or you can all take the car and hire someone to move your belongings.

Last edited by kodaka; 11-29-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,529,610 times
There are always companies that will move your goods, while you take alternate transportation to your destination. I've never used them, but I have worked unloading said trucks upon their arrival at the destination point.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:50 PM

521 posts, read 4,402,292 times
Neither Transport Canada or the U.S DOT will require a commercial drivers license for the size trucks that will accommodate your household goods. Both, however, require that each passenger have a seat belt or similar safety restraining device. Check with the rental company to see if they will even allow a child's seat to be used. If not, you could invalidate your insurance if you were involved in an accident in which the child was injured.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 AM

109 posts, read 363,162 times
Choose one of you to stay with the truck. But it will be necessary for one of you to be with the baby in a rented car or a plane or bus a few days later. Plane or bus will be cheaper than the rented car. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 AM

584 posts, read 1,335,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarian View Post
Hi there
I am looking to move from Canada to the Us
Specifically Nova Scotia to Delaware when i am originally from
I would need a medium sized moving truck to hold all of our things
( i was looking at a 14 or 17 footer)
BUT
my problem is I neither my fiance can drive a truck
So it would be the two of us plus a drive
Plus we have a small child that would have to be in a car seat

I am having a heck of a time finding a truck with enough cargo space for our stuff and enough seating for all of us!

Anyone have any information that may be of help?
Thank!
Try Penske 18 footer which has 2 seats but quite roomy right in the middle. Put a thin mattress or a thick blanket right there and your 2 little one should be fine.
We did that over the summer and we have a 12 , and a 3. We ignored the car seat because i had a same question you have asked. Place a car seat under just in case .

Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,577,782 times
I agree with the majority conclusion, but I would take a slightly different view of the issue.

Rental trucks in that size will have automatic transmission and other features that make them drive as much like a car as possible. Nevertheless, especially if the truck is loaded, you will find that it isn't as easy to drive as it is to drive your car. It won't be as responsive, stopping distances will be longer, and you'll definitely want to be careful on curves.

That said, I don't see any reason you and your fiance shouldn't just rent a truck and caravan down with your car to provide a safter ride for the kids.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,516,480 times
That is what we have done. My husband drove the truck and the crated animals and I took the kids.

When we had to move my parents stuff in with us though after we sold their house - [my mom is with us] we called the truck rental place and they linked us up with drivers to load deliver and unload. There are lots of options not as intense as a full service moving company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues