U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM

37 posts, read 72,421 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.... but I'm unsure as to whether there IS a right place so anyway..

Some background: My husband and I live in Orlando and have lived here for about six years now. He's a Chicago Native and I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. We moved here separately for different reasons. We are in our late twenties and are Latino professionals however when we start our family (which will be soon) I will stay home.

Neither of us are happy in Orlando. It was alright at first... great to be out of the cold and what not but as time goes on I'm more and more unhappy as is he. I miss the seasons, the city etc... We talk about going back up north but are stuck as to WHERE we should go. We know there is no "perfect" place but are pretty convinced the Florida simply isn't for us. We doubt we want to end up in the south at all.

We'd like to move to or near a reasonably sized city that has some diversity. We want our seasons back and don't mind cold winters or hot summers so long as we get the Spring and Fall as well. We know being near a larger city means houses are more expensive but we're still looking for "reasonable" (so not Southern CA lol). He's an engineer and I'm a teacher (and will eventually go back to work) so it would be nice to find somewhere where there are options for both of us (as I don't like the public sector). Walkablity is also an issue as my mother who doesn't drive will be coming with us.

So are we dreaming? Or does somewhere like this actually exist???

Old 12-08-2009, 06:23 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,914,275 times
Let's see if you get some replies here...if not, I'll move your post to the General US forum.....

You may want to consider the Rochester NY area, about 30 miles from us. Teaching jobs are tough to secure, but Rochester is a bit upscale, techy, and has some very nice suburbs. Also the Binghamton NY area is nice.

NY taxes are high, but has many of the things you are looking for. Remember, I'm talking UPSTATE NY....miles and miles away from NYC. NY is a huge state and most of it has nothing to do with the NYC area......

Frank

Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 AM

37 posts, read 72,421 times
I got some replies elsewhere and want to delete this post but don't know how...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM

575 posts, read 1,133,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2O2C View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this.... but I'm unsure as to whether there IS a right place so anyway..

Some background: My husband and I live in Orlando and have lived here for about six years now. He's a Chicago Native and I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. We moved here separately for different reasons. We are in our late twenties and are Latino professionals however when we start our family (which will be soon) I will stay home.

Neither of us are happy in Orlando. It was alright at first... great to be out of the cold and what not but as time goes on I'm more and more unhappy as is he. I miss the seasons, the city etc... We talk about going back up north but are stuck as to WHERE we should go. We know there is no "perfect" place but are pretty convinced the Florida simply isn't for us. We doubt we want to end up in the south at all.

We'd like to move to or near a reasonably sized city that has some diversity. We want our seasons back and don't mind cold winters or hot summers so long as we get the Spring and Fall as well. We know being near a larger city means houses are more expensive but we're still looking for "reasonable" (so not Southern CA lol). He's an engineer and I'm a teacher (and will eventually go back to work) so it would be nice to find somewhere where there are options for both of us (as I don't like the public sector). Walkablity is also an issue as my mother who doesn't drive will be coming with us.

So are we dreaming? Or does somewhere like this actually exist???
Engineer & Teacher ? I see a perfect picture in Dallas Texas

Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,914,275 times
Closed per OP request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or