U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,472,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitajas View Post
That is exactly why I haven't taken the pictures and thrown away the originals! I like to look at and hold those items that my children once held in their hands before bringing them home from school to me. Or those crayon drawings on which they worked so diligently at the kitchen table... I would miss that if I did not have the orginal documents any longer. I was reluctant to follow through on the photo idea - and now it is clear to me as to why I was stalling! One just cannot get that same feeling from a photo! Thank you for helping me realize this!
Scanning the photos is still a really good idea, especially if they are older color photos. The prints will fade but your scan won't, and you can even set up an online album for the family to look at. And if you computer is stolen or if for some reason your photos are lost you at least still have copies.

I have come to think that in my emergency pack I keep my small photo book of what I have left. It is as valuable as other things, but will also scan those into the computer and put them on disc now YIPPEE that I got my new laptop which works with the scanner set up.

If you have old letters this is also a very good idea since you can handle a printout or use the screen to enlarge where the origional is delicate.

But there is nothing like the origional. Its interesting that the Titanic display of personal items which is touring the country has had paranormal activity at every stop and location even reported by visitors during the day. Things sometimes keep the energy of the person who loved them even after they are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,597,245 times
Don't you think it's funny that moms everywhere save pictures and papers from their children's pre/school years?

My mother did. Not a lot, but she had 5 kids so it amounted to a lot.

After I grew up, she gave me what she saved of mine; old penmanship papers, old pictures I drew, old math papers... . I threw them all out except a couple. I don't have any idea of where they are at the moment.

What purpose does saving all that serve? None, yet all moms save them. I think it's trying to hold on to a bit of our childhood.

Not all moms save that stuff. And like baby books, the people who have them think it's no big deal, but those of us who do not would LOVE to have or see those things.

For example - my mom saved EVERYTHING of my older sister's and kept a very detailed baby book. Apparently, by child #2 she had other priorities. My sister didn't keep a baby book for her daughter and told me I'd also be "over it" by the time I had #2 myself. My daughter only has about 1/2 of what my ds has - but she still has a LOT more than my niece.

I keep a box out for each child. All school year long, I throw in this or that. At the end of the school year, we sort and save only the most special items. Those go in their long term storage, plastic bin. They each have one of those. A few times a year, they ask me to pull it down and look through it. They also like looking through their baby books.

Our oldest children are now 10. Already, my sister is starting to regret tossing everything and not keeping a baby book for either of her children. When people walk into our home, they ALL comment on the framed children's artwork, the photo collages, the scrapbooks and the albums. Most of the comments are regretful - wishing they had done the same for their kids.

You need to be choosy when de-cluttering, but you don't have to "toss the baby out with the bathwater". Get rid of junk mail, don't save old utility bills that have already been paid, ask for bills to be delivered electronically, sort all paper at the door (including the mounds of notices in the kid's backpacks from their teachers - we keep a recycling bin next to the couch - I sort the mail and the kid's backpacks next to it). Prioritize and make a commitment to yourself not to set junk mail down inside your home.

Buy each of your children two plastic bins - one for long term storage and one for the year. Anything they deem "special" goes in the short term bin. When it's full, it gets sorted - keep forever goes in long term, everything else is tossed. Buy a couple cheap picture frames, choose a wall and make a display. "Command" makes these hooks that you can slip a sheet of paper into. We have several on the "children's wall" and they can change out what they want to display.

As I'm writing this, I'm remembering my biggest clutter "crutch" - I couldn't bring myself to toss owner's manuals. I have a plastic bin we keep them all in. I started it in 2001 when I began decluttering. I just realized that other than to throw things in it, I have only looked inside it once - trying to find a manual for a stolen item (hoping for a serial number). We didn't find the manual we were looking for (about a year ago), but I remember seeing a bunch of manuals for things we no longer own. I've been meaning to look through that box. Maybe it's time for me to just toss the entire contents though.

Good luck! It's hard to conquer clutter and if you're a "cluttery person", you'll always be fighting it, but it CAN be done!

Old 01-20-2010, 07:48 AM

8,545 posts, read 9,306,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Don't you think it's funny that moms everywhere save pictures and papers from their children's pre/school years?

My mother did. Not a lot, but she had 5 kids so it amounted to a lot.

After I grew up, she gave me what she saved of mine; old penmanship papers, old pictures I drew, old math papers... . I threw them all out except a couple. I don't have any idea of where they are at the moment.

What purpose does saving all that serve? None, yet all moms save them. I think it's trying to hold on to a bit of our childhood.

Not all moms save that stuff. And like baby books, the people who have them think it's no big deal, but those of us who do not would LOVE to have or see those things.

For example - my mom saved EVERYTHING of my older sister's and kept a very detailed baby book. Apparently, by child #2 she had other priorities. My sister didn't keep a baby book for her daughter and told me I'd also be "over it" by the time I had #2 myself. My daughter only has about 1/2 of what my ds has - but she still has a LOT more than my niece.

I keep a box out for each child. All school year long, I throw in this or that. At the end of the school year, we sort and save only the most special items. Those go in their long term storage, plastic bin. They each have one of those. A few times a year, they ask me to pull it down and look through it. They also like looking through their baby books.

Our oldest children are now 10. Already, my sister is starting to regret tossing everything and not keeping a baby book for either of her children. When people walk into our home, they ALL comment on the framed children's artwork, the photo collages, the scrapbooks and the albums. Most of the comments are regretful - wishing they had done the same for their kids.

You need to be choosy when de-cluttering, but you don't have to "toss the baby out with the bathwater". Get rid of junk mail, don't save old utility bills that have already been paid, ask for bills to be delivered electronically, sort all paper at the door (including the mounds of notices in the kid's backpacks from their teachers - we keep a recycling bin next to the couch - I sort the mail and the kid's backpacks next to it). Prioritize and make a commitment to yourself not to set junk mail down inside your home.

Buy each of your children two plastic bins - one for long term storage and one for the year. Anything they deem "special" goes in the short term bin. When it's full, it gets sorted - keep forever goes in long term, everything else is tossed. Buy a couple cheap picture frames, choose a wall and make a display. "Command" makes these hooks that you can slip a sheet of paper into. We have several on the "children's wall" and they can change out what they want to display.

As I'm writing this, I'm remembering my biggest clutter "crutch" - I couldn't bring myself to toss owner's manuals. I have a plastic bin we keep them all in. I started it in 2001 when I began decluttering. I just realized that other than to throw things in it, I have only looked inside it once - trying to find a manual for a stolen item (hoping for a serial number). We didn't find the manual we were looking for (about a year ago), but I remember seeing a bunch of manuals for things we no longer own. I've been meaning to look through that box. Maybe it's time for me to just toss the entire contents though.

Good luck! It's hard to conquer clutter and if you're a "cluttery person", you'll always be fighting it, but it CAN be done!
My sons are grown now, wish I had been a little more organized when they were young with their school papers...too late now but I do have things for them.

You know most manuals can be found online..I also have tons of manuals, time for me to go through that big box and toss, too!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 AM

6,603 posts, read 6,794,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

snip

Love your kid system! If I had kids, I'd use it.

I also keep owner's manuals, but get rid of them regularly. When we buy/acquire a new thing with an owner's manual, I check it - do I need the owner's manual? If I sell or give away the item, will it be useful to the next person? Many things don't really need instructions, so I recycle those manuals. They are usually single-sheet, anyway. The ones I keep go into folders. My manuals are sorted into categories: Small Appliances, Computer, Tools, Furniture (I keep some furniture tags & receipts for warranty purposes). With this system, I can easily find the manual if I sell/donate/give away the item.

If I'm replacing an item with a like item - coffeemakers come to mind - then I pull the old manual out and put the new one in. Like as not, I'll also quickly flip through the folder to see if I missed culling any manuals. In this way, I keep them manageable in very little time.

Hope this helps somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues