U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:06 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Be careful about allowing kids to shred papers. We let our kids shred some papers, then found mysterious charges on our Visa---they had gotten our CC number and ordered a bunch of games! You really can't trust kids with such sensitive information, especially if they are too young to really understand the consequences. We got the charge off the bill, and and made the kids work it off by doing yard work, but I learned a valuable lesson---guard personal information from kids, especially teens. I know I'll get a lot of flack about how my kid wouldn't, its all about how you raise them etc, believe me, I was shocked to find what mine had done, but just wanted to pass along that you don't leave sensitive information under the nose of kids.

Better to pay someone to shred them (the papers, not the kids!)
Good tip! Mine are too young to know how to do this, and they perform the task sitting with me while I work on the computer, but I'll keep that in mind as they get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:07 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,417,859 times
Quote:
Be careful about allowing kids to shred papers. We let our kids shred some papers, then found mysterious charges on our Visa---they had gotten our CC number and ordered a bunch of games! You really can't trust kids with such sensitive information, especially if they are too young to really understand the consequences. We got the charge off the bill, and and made the kids work it off by doing yard work, but I learned a valuable lesson---guard personal information from kids, especially teens. I know I'll get a lot of flack about how my kid wouldn't, its all about how you raise them etc, believe me, I was shocked to find what mine had done, but just wanted to pass along that you don't leave sensitive information under the nose of kids.

Better to pay someone to shred them (the papers, not the kids!)

I Have never worried about that.. Mine use my CC # for
approved purchases . If they ever tried that I would see it
within weeks .
Couldn't they just steal the number out of a purse if they wanted
to steal a CC #.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:41 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,677,428 times
Quote:
We plan to move sometime the first half of next year. Accordingly, I've been trying to sort out all the clutter, seems I'm just making matters worse, at times it looks like a bomb went off in here!

10+ years of living does accumulate a lot of stuff, but I should be seeing some progress. Every day I haul off several bags/boxes to Goodwill, a ton of trash, still, don't see any results, it seems more cluttered in here than ever.

My main problem is paper. Whey do we have so much paper? I've spent hours sorting/shredding, seems not to make a dent. Just unearths old issues I thought were buried years ago. Do I really need to keep kids old report cards, drawings from kindergarten, etc?

So, just grousing here, but would like some support. Does it ever reach a point where it becomes manageable? Or do I just pack it all up and sort when I get there?
I love the scanner idea for the papers - that is what I was going to suggest (gosh if only I could follow my own advice).

Back during the flylady craze, I read her book. While I am not a "flyer" or whatever people who do her thing call themselves, I did take some good ideas away from the book.

She suggests renting a small dumpster (now this is if you have a lot but it does sound like it) and going to town on the house. I know sometimes I get on a roll tossing stuff and I stop b/c my rolling bin is full or I end up with things that need to be broken into smaller pieces to go with the regular trash.

She also suggests that keeping stuff aside for yard sales is an obstacle to getting rid of the clutter. Just take it to a charity. I tend to agree. I don't shop at yardsales and I would hate having one so I might be biased, but I'd rather drop the stuff off at Goodwill.

It really is freeing to get rid of stuff. Sometimes what helps me is thinking about it from the other direction. What is important to me? How do I want my home to feel and look? Its easy to look at our full bookshelves and my craft/sewing storage boxes and think that clearing them out would get me more space but then I realize that is what I want to keep.

Good luck. Last time we moved we made several trips to the dump and Goodwill and still ended up moving close to 10,000 lbs for a family of 5.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Ok, so, for 25 years I've lugged a 144 piece setting of Lenox china around the country, used it about 3-4 times. I would never invite 12 people to dinner, anyways, and if I did, I'd use paper plates! Time to sell that!
We did not want wedding china but a relative insisted she buy it for us and made us pick a pattern.

Do I ever use it? No.

Did she spend a ton of money on it? Yes.

I think its 8 place settings plus various accessory items.

I hate lugging it around but part of me wonders if some day I will use it. I think I am going to keep it b/c years from now I would like a dining room with a china hutch and I can put it there.

Unfortunately, its taking up a ton of space right now. Hm I wonder if it would fit under my bed?

I commend you for being able to part with yours.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,914,275 times
They call them possessions not because we own them, but because they own us.

I am eligible to retire in about 563 more days. I plan on moving to our Florida home full time after that. Since it is already furnished, I plan on moving very little down with me.

People do not realize how expensive it is to move things 1300 miles. So many folks move WAY MORE stuff then they should, only to sell it after they get to the new place. That frankly is foolish.

I have one and a half years to get rid of everything. Basically, I have a whole section of the basement dedicated to everything I'm getting rid of. One pile, garage sale, one pile goes to the kids, one pile gets given away. The rest gets tossed.

One drawer, one closet, one shelf at a time. Slow and steady. Just do it..it feels SO GOOD...! New homebuyers want to see space and organization in a house. Clean, fresh and uncluttered. Depersonalized.....so they can imagine it being THEIR house......their home.

You have to love and want the space you gain by ridding yourself of it more then the item itself.

The other part of it is to tell yourself, "I DON'T NEED IT, I DON'T WANT IT". I've stopped buying stuff, knowing if I own it I will have to move it. I actually want nothing for Christmas....it feels so good!!

I actually keep both cars in my garage.....believe it or not, that IS what a garage is for. People are amazed at this idea! It works so great! Cars without snow, etc. What a concept!

I AM moving in a few years...so I NEED to do this....I WANT to do this. I will NOT let stuff ruin my life plan. You fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Enjoy!! Frank

Old 12-18-2009, 04:19 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,782,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
We did not want wedding china but a relative insisted she buy it for us and made us pick a pattern.

Do I ever use it? No.

Did she spend a ton of money on it? Yes.

I think its 8 place settings plus various accessory items.

I hate lugging it around but part of me wonders if some day I will use it. I think I am going to keep it b/c years from now I would like a dining room with a china hutch and I can put it there.

Unfortunately, its taking up a ton of space right now. Hm I wonder if it would fit under my bed?

I commend you for being able to part with yours.
If you just want somehting to display and will never have dinner guests, just select a few serving pieces to display in the breakfront, no one will ever know the rest isn't in the china cupoard! And if you ever find yourself in the spot where 12 guests are coming to dinner, you can always rent china, cheaper tham oving and storing it (if I had 12 dinner guests, I would turn off the lights and not answer the door!)

Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
(if I had 12 dinner guests, I would turn off the lights and not answer the door!)
If I had 12 dinner guests I would buy Chinet and set up a buffet! (after contemplating your plan, which sounds great).

Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
Quote:
I...if I had 12 dinner guests, I would turn off the lights and not answer the door!)
I'm totally with you on this. I did 10 for Easter a couple of years ago and it almost did me in. Entertaining large groups of people is definitely not my thing! Fortunately, my MIL lives for hosting large groups of people, and she's very good, so it gets me off the hook.

Regarding china, I'm pretty good at decluttering, but I have a box of wedding china in the basement that has been hauled from one end of the country to the other. We never use it, and it's difficult to wash, because the dishes have gold leaf trim and cannot go in a dishwasher. In previous homes, the set lived in the china cabinet, but our current house has an extremely small kitchen, so I need the hutch for a significant portion of our daily china, our wine glasses, and a few occasional pieces. The cabinet underneath the hutch is filled with a stand mixer, a large wooden salad bowl, a couple of platters, and table linens. I'm dithering about donating the set, because about half of it came from my in-laws and my husband's godparents. I guess I'm afraid of the fallout if somebody asks about it, leaving me with no choice but to admit I no longer have it. Yeah, I'm a wimp.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 12-18-2009 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 10:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,782,162 times
Ok, I've got to stop my habit of shopping at the Goodwill. I pass by it on the way to the grocery store, and often stop in for a look. I got so many nice things for a fraction of their value, including some nice furniture, wall hangings, etc.

But we're trying to get rid of stuff, not add more. So what di I do today? Stopped by the GW, found some cute ornaments for 10 cents each, a brand-new build-a-bear wearing a blue and lace dress for $2---WTH do I need with that? But it was sooooo cute, I couldn't resist!

I think I'm going to end up being buried in my own personal landfill!

Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 PM

30,528 posts, read 33,343,692 times
I live with packrats so I have been brutal and it's a constant battle. ESPECIALLY the stuff our kids accumulate. Mine are both adults now (19 and 23) so before Thanksgiving I went to town and bagged up all sorts of "stuff" including two giant garbage bags of stuffed animals and many toys and games that haven't seen the light of day in ages. The way I look at it is if something is easily replaceable, like that Monopoly game with half the money missing, then TOSS IT! If I want to play Monopoly I can have a new game in my possession in 5 minutes for very little money. Books went to the library, knick knacks went to the Goodwill, and so much other stuff just went into the garbage can.

They won't miss the things they can't find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues