U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 AM

121 posts, read 359,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
A client of mine just did this. They sold everything in the house minus their personal items - mind you, we're talking a husband, wife, teenage boy and 4 yr old daughter. The men packed as much as they could into the SUV and the ladies traveled via plane. They moved from MI to AZ with no headaches, moved into a furnished leased condo. Parents were very happy to do it this way - very few hassles on the road, very few things to move, and much cheaper in cost. Eventually, they will purchase household items once again.

We are also moving.. from Mid-MI to NE OH. We've already sold our larger items (couch & loveseat) and are planning on the smallest of Uhauls to take the rest. There are many items we cannot part with because we have it for business reasons (several laser printers, several computers / equipment) and the cost to replace it would be greater than the savings we would see by not moving it. However, we have been living out of a storage unit for about a year now (previous move was to an extra room at family's house until we figured out what we were doing) ... and we've already gotten rid of most of the clutter. Having a year to sort things out has been great. If there is anything you absolutely cannot part with (bed, tv, whatever..) a small uhaul trailer is easy. I have been hauling livestock trailers since I could drive ... the small uhaul is nothing to get too concerned about - and once you're used to it you would never know it was behind you, BUT you will lose significant gas mileage and have to be more mindful at what speed you travel and changing lanes.

Best wishes!

Great post, thank you for the info! Your "process" is one I've just begun. I've decided to give myself one year. Most of that is to save up money, but a large chunk is to have the time to plan, research, and in reference to this post, BEGIN PARTING WITH THOSE NOT-SO-IMPORTANT items, lol.

So far it's going well. What I CAN'T understand, is how I live in a moderate-sized 1 bedroom apartment and STILL have enough "stuff" to fill up 4 large garbage bags. Perhaps in the long run doing this will make me appreciate the "true" posessions in ones life vs. the extraneous clutter, because believe me - in my starting weekend of heave-ho's, there was alot.

So my plan is, a year from now, I expect to be living in the barest of quarters, and when I pack the car with what's left, by God it better all fit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:38 AM

286 posts, read 1,139,503 times
Smile Sounds like you're getting your plan together!

I have moved more times than I care to admit to, but this will be my first out of state move. We actually didn't finalize the decision until about 2 weeks ago, so now the real planning it underway....

One thing that is very hard to retrain yourself on is frivolous spending.... buying something you don't really need! We've done a pretty good job at not adding to our "collection" for the simple fact that is just one more thing we have to move / get rid of / deal with. However, not having your own kitchen tends to drive you to eating out a LOT more than you should! Just a warning... Overall, simplifying your ways of living will change your entire perspective on life - and what really matters will shine through and stand out.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 PM

121 posts, read 359,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
I have moved more times than I care to admit to, but this will be my first out of state move. We actually didn't finalize the decision until about 2 weeks ago, so now the real planning it underway....

One thing that is very hard to retrain yourself on is frivolous spending.... buying something you don't really need! We've done a pretty good job at not adding to our "collection" for the simple fact that is just one more thing we have to move / get rid of / deal with. However, not having your own kitchen tends to drive you to eating out a LOT more than you should! Just a warning... Overall, simplifying your ways of living will change your entire perspective on life - and what really matters will shine through and stand out.
Aha, now see, THAT is the mentality that will be perfect for me for the next 12 months: It's just one more thing I have to move/get rid of/deal with.

LOL on eating out...I do that too often NOW, and I do have a kitchen. But I'm in total agreement with you. I think you're right, and simplifying my ways for moving will actually extend into my life in more ways than I'll expect. Thank you!!

Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM

185 posts, read 672,517 times
i'd get a uhaul (thingy with the car attached) lol

but another option for you might be to rent a van and have a friend bring your car or the van.

Or do you have family or friends that have a van and might be willing to help you move? it's a long trip but sometimes good friends will do amazing things for you and it helps to not go it alone.

unless the furniture is great, I'd say if it doesn't fit in a van plus a car, you probably don't need it or can replace it.

I've also heard of people buying a couple of big boxes/trunks and mailing their belongings to their new location. sounds odd, but heard it's sometimes cheaper than movers if you don't have alot.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 PM

80 posts, read 288,314 times
Default Depends on your priorities

I'm going to suck it up and pay for a move from VA to WA. Yep, all 3,000 miles. Why?

1. Selling stuff is a pain.
2. Buying stuff is a pain.
3. I like my stuff.
4. You don't make a lot of $$ on used furniture and everything is much more expensive to buy now than when I bought it. Even if that weren't true, see #s 1 & 2

I'm going to store my stuff in a POD and rent furnished until I'm SURE it's what I want. Then, I'll send for the stuff.

Oh...and I'm even going to ship my car so I can just fly out.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 PM

943 posts, read 98,655 times
Id be interested in knowing if its not to personal that is. What will the move cost you, what estimate did the mover give you for this. I can understand you not wanting the pain of trying to sell all that stuff.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:49 AM

286 posts, read 1,139,503 times
Default Cost of a POD

You can actually get an estimate from the POD website. This is not an affordable option for everyone, especially if you're moving on a tight budget. We actually figured out that it would be cheaper for us to get a Uhaul and drive the distance we're going than to get a POD (min 1 month rental) and have it moved.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM

850 posts, read 2,196,813 times
Default POD Storage

Or you could use POD moving/storage. We moved our home via the POD storage company and they were fabulous. Not including the monthly fee for storage (about $120), it cost us about $1700 to move our house from NJ to NC. The estimates we were getting from movers was in the $6,000 range. Yep...NOT.

Here's what we did;

Put all our belongings (except the necessities) into the POD. The trick with packing the POD is to put all your clothing and soft goods (towels, linens, etc) in trash bags and use them to shove into the nooks and crannies so you can use the space from floor to ceiling. We discovered this the hard way and unpacked our POD to repack all our clothing and gained half the space back!

Anyhow, we hired mover laborers to move the heavy stuff in and did the rest ourselves. We used http://www.movinglaborbrokers.com/ . It cost $270 for 2 guys for 4 hours.

Then we had them store our POD unit in NJ while we rented a furnished apt (shore rental with linens, dishes and all) during job hunting. Once we got the job got an apt in NC and had them ship the POD to their Raleigh storage facility where it was kept until we found a house.

Then we just hired the above laborers again and that was it. ALOT less than $7000!!!

OH and we got rid of ALOT of stuff before we moved...ALOT. Much of it I wish we hadn't...its expensive to replace what you need even if you sell what you have.

Good luck!
Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues