Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 08:48 PM

121 posts, read 513,339 times

Advertisements

I need some opinions here...can anyone help?

Situation:
I'm planning to move from Florida to Maine. Currently I have a small one bedroom, with "decent furniture" (a.k.a nice but inexpensive), along with the usual hodgepodge of things - books, computer, pots/pans, etc. The problem?

Hiring a mover will be 3k+.

Here's where I need some thoughts. I'm hoping others have done this, or considered this, and can offer some insight. Should I:

Hire the movers @ 3k+

or

Chuck the movers, sell off everything except for what I can fit in my car (a basic, 4 door car), and hope to "replenish" the new apartment for maybe 2k?

The answer should be obvious, yeah. Saving a grand or more by chucking it all. But then there's that thought of settling into a new apartment...with nothing but the floor to sleep on, LOL.

Anyone had any experience with this? I thought of getting one of those little hitch trailers (or whatever they're called), but I don't know that I'd be able to drive one that well. Ok, ok...I'm not trying to be a "girl" about it, but yeah - they intimidate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
I would start over clutter free! Who knows if the old stuff would even work in a new space?

I would pack the personal stuff in the car and sell the rest. When you get a new place, hit the garage sales!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:32 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,557,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I would start over clutter free! Who knows if the old stuff would even work in a new space?

I would pack the personal stuff in the car and sell the rest. When you get a new place, hit the garage sales!
I agree. If you don't have any pieces that would be considered "valuable" for monetary or sentimental reasons, I'd suggest selling all you can and starting over. This way you can pick the pieces that will work in your new space, in both style and fit (size/shape). Besides, you don't have to worry about moving it that way. I'd say take your computer, photos,clothes, personal effects, important documents, and keepsakes, load up the car, and head north.

A sleeping bag on the floor and an alarm clock should be all you'd need (besides clothes and personal items) for a few days while you find the right items for your new place.

I expect you'll come out way ahead financially this way, too.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
If I move I am taking it all with me.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:53 PM

121 posts, read 513,339 times
Great thoughts here. Thank you!!!

Especially when so far the opinions are leaning towards what I'd rather do. Always nice to go shopping for new things in a new place.

Well that, and I'm STILL trying to get over the shock of the price of movers.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:21 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,273,878 times
I'd sell what you can.With saving $3000+ and any money you make from your items it would be a pretty good start for new purchases.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:32 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,334,839 times
I would suggest the latter. Start fresh and get rid of the clutter. :-)

Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,006,869 times
I've moved several times out of state/the country and let me tell you most of the stuff we have is 'not important clutter.' I used to be such a pack rat and keep everything for years and years. We paid several times to store things at public storage centers. What a waste when most of it was not necessary!

When we moved from NY to England, I had to get rid of most of my books which broke my heart but you know, you can always buy more or get them free at the library! (less clutter again, by borrowing and returning).

I suggest you take what you need and sell the rest. You're making such a big move, why pay three grand to cart 'some stuff?'

Good luck! I am currently throwing out things for our future move. As far as furniture, we'll only bring the beds and kitchen table & chairs and a few other small items.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 AM

942 posts, read 1,380,131 times
I also vote for selling or donate to goodwill what you don't sell. Its just not worth the cost of a mover, and the cost is ridiculous, or the pain of moving yourself in a UHAUL. It seems like it is costly to replace everything, and it can be, but is less than dealing with moving cost, at least on a 1 bedroom situation.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 AM

286 posts, read 1,583,555 times
Default And you can always look into a furnished apt...

A client of mine just did this. They sold everything in the house minus their personal items - mind you, we're talking a husband, wife, teenage boy and 4 yr old daughter. The men packed as much as they could into the SUV and the ladies traveled via plane. They moved from MI to AZ with no headaches, moved into a furnished leased condo. Parents were very happy to do it this way - very few hassles on the road, very few things to move, and much cheaper in cost. Eventually, they will purchase household items once again.

We are also moving.. from Mid-MI to NE OH. We've already sold our larger items (couch & loveseat) and are planning on the smallest of Uhauls to take the rest. There are many items we cannot part with because we have it for business reasons (several laser printers, several computers / equipment) and the cost to replace it would be greater than the savings we would see by not moving it. However, we have been living out of a storage unit for about a year now (previous move was to an extra room at family's house until we figured out what we were doing) ... and we've already gotten rid of most of the clutter. Having a year to sort things out has been great. If there is anything you absolutely cannot part with (bed, tv, whatever..) a small uhaul trailer is easy. I have been hauling livestock trailers since I could drive ... the small uhaul is nothing to get too concerned about - and once you're used to it you would never know it was behind you, BUT you will lose significant gas mileage and have to be more mindful at what speed you travel and changing lanes.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues