U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 04:02 PM

584 posts, read 1,755,099 times

Advertisements

Any ideas on how to move odd things like:

1. Gas bbq grill?
2. Potted plants?
3. Fridge/deep freeze?
4. Fish tank?
5. Lawn mower?
6. Washing machine?
7. Generator?

Note: Yes, I want to take these things with me. No, I do not want to buy new after I move. So, I am trying to figure out how to move them, without messing up other things I am moving, regular things, furniture, clothes, boxes, etc. Plus, will anything leak?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 04:44 AM

521 posts, read 3,929,420 times
Grill - Empty, degrease and clean the grill. If gas, either pay to purge the tank or leave it behind.

Plants - If they haven't been inspected and tagged by state agriculture dept, consider leaving them. They don't travel well, and some states forbid they be transported to or through without proper certification. If state inspectors or port-of-entry personnel suspect you have them, they can legally make you unload entire truck and pay to properly dispose of plants. Read Don't move the moth.

Fridge/deep freeze -empty, defrost, and clean well with warm, soupy ammonia water. Tape an open box of baking soda or fresh coffee grinds to interior wall if they will not be used for awhile.

Fish tank- Empty, clean and fill with light material like pillows. Pad well with blankets and place in sturdy box. Read Relocation Dilemma: Help! I need to move my turtle for suggestions to move fish.

Lawn mover - drain combustible fluids, purge tank and clean well.

Washing machine - Drain sitting water from unit by carefully tipping on it's side or back. You can damage the unit if you don't secure the agitator drum with shipping bolts, commercial washer pak or well placed braces/pads.

Generator - Drain fluids, purge tank and clean.

If you follow these guidelines, there's nothing to leak.

Good luck with your move!

Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,565,533 times
Wow, RikkiTikki, very helpful. i am also moving most of OP's items, such as grill, fish tank, generator, and plants. did not realize plants could cause such a problem. will just keep in the car and not put on moving truck. which sounds dumb but i've had a plant in the basement for 30 days, no light or water (oops, i actually forgot about it) and it's still doing well.
worried about the fish tank that isnt selling on craigs list. will put in box and label it so nothing gets put on top of it. thanks for info

Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 PM

584 posts, read 1,755,099 times
Thanks for the suggestions. What does purge the tank mean? So, any ideas how to secure the washing machine drum? How do I find out if a state has laws on moving with certain items like plants? I'll probably just put the plants in the car too. Is there any way that any of these things could turn on while being shaken around in the moving van? Like the gas grill?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 AM

820 posts, read 1,160,951 times
remove the tank before moving the grill. most companies won't move the tank

Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,190,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
How do I find out if a state has laws on moving with certain items like plants? I'll probably just put the plants in the car too.
State (the one you're moving to) Department of Agriculture, I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues