U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:21 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,274,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
A whole lot of people just look for excuses to be rude or judgmental. Putting other people down is their way of feeling better about themselves.

I'm a white conservative Christian and my next door neighbor is a liberal black cross dresser. He brought me over some cookies/candies he baked yesterday to thank me for letting him use my carpet cleaner. It's all good. We consider ourselves friends.

He came over wearing his best frilly apron too..........

Way to go Glory. I knew I liked you, lol.

I live by one simple rule "Treat all people the way you want to be treated."
It's really easy and I find I get along with a wide variety of people from many different states. We don't all have to agree. That's what being an individual is about. I actually appreciate the differences. There is so much to learn from different people. I may not agree but I can respect their choices.

BTW, I have had some wonderful neighbors and I meet neighbors and make friends wherever I go.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 10:33 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,838,197 times
I was chatting with a sweet man on aol for a while. He is a concert violinist and we shared a love of classical music and stringed instruments. One day he mentioned baking cookies and I said, send me some please; here's my address. Then I forgot all about it. Well, the crazy man sent me cookies. He put a made-up return address on the cookies (I guess he was afraid I was a stalker).

When they arrived, my husband looked a little askance at them and said, now what?! I took a cookie, broke it in half and ate it - the whole thing. My husband said he'd wait 24 hours to see if I had any reaction. The cookies were delicious! And I wouldn't share!

Life is too short to judge people on appearances or politics or religious differences. No one can ever have too many friends. I could get references from former landlords, former next door renters, former neighbors, etc. I welcome others to the neighborhood with homebaked goodies; I make cookies for the holidays to wish my neighbors a happy whatever holiday; and I bake for new mothers and those in mourning. It's how I reach out and hopefully put a smile on someone's face or take a small burden off their shoulders. It's called giving of self. Too bad some people can't look outside their own skin.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,037,153 times
liberal vs. conservative is way too simplistic product of incessant indoctrination. Liberal vs. Conservative is pretty much harmless divide (for wealth&power structure and people who own it) , that's why it's being promoted on all levels as a steam relief valve.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:20 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,542,066 times
If you walk around with your head down starring at your shoes, you'll never make eye contact with someone...I could give a shi# if your liberal or conservative as long as you like to fish and don't talk about work while we fish....

Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,375,954 times
dh and i moved from the north (MA) to the south (VA to be exact) and on our first day in our new home our neighbors brought over homemade cookies and a note welcoming us to not only VA but to the neighborhood as well.

Now in the 10 years i lived in my home up in MA, i never once had a neighbor help me with anything let alone make cookies. did i hesitate at first, yes. did i eat the cookies, yes and you know what they were delicious. we've been friends ever since.

i don't care if you're liberal or conservative, white, black or green with polka dots all that matters is if you're a good person, a good neighbor and you keep your yard/home clean and tidy.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 PM

196 posts, read 494,377 times
I am making a cake tonight for my neighbor. She was a wonderful neighbor and friend to me. I am moving in a couple of weeks and will miss her dearly. And I am 100% positive she won't throw it in trash.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,059,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Isn't it weird how many threads pop where people base a lot of their move-decisions based upon the more general politics, or social vibe of the people? It makes sense in cases like gun laws, for example, where the politics of the locals might actually impact the day-to-day life of a prospective mover. But most of the threads I see aren't about that. It's questions like "Is XYZ materialistic?" "Is XYZ anti-bush?" "IS XYZ green-friendly?" And so on. Who cares? I'm a pretty liberal guy and I had the time of my life in Virginia Beach, the heart of Republican-ish social conservatism. If you're hell-bent on saving the world one plastic cup at a time, why blend in with everybody else in Portland? Be a trailblazer in The South.

What am I missing here? It all just seems strange to me. Half this country doesn't even make eye-contact with their neighbors, yet our instinct is to be concerned with our neighbors politics?

Weird.
As a lesbian, whether or not a city is conservative or liberal matters a lot to me.

It may not matter to some GLBT people but for this lesbian....it matters a lot.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,731,499 times
We get cookies from our neighbor ALL the time! She's a wonderful baker, and she makes a killer rum cake (swoon!).

Old 02-01-2010, 11:52 PM

454 posts, read 538,171 times
You guys took me too seriously. I thought that in this year of 2010...and as many unsanitary people around us, that the notion of accepting someone's (un-monitored) sweet baking wouldn't even be a 2nd thought. White folks Kidding guys!

Maybe its from how I was raised. My first experiences was when a friend of mine's mom gave us 3 boxes of opened cereal. They were, back then...the best. I believe cocoa puffs, cinnamin cruch, etc. We took it back home and my mom immediately discarded them. Reason being: could contain poison.

I know it sounds silly, but better safe than sorry. Who knows, a metal piece could have fallen un-intentionally. You swallow, then sue. A relationship is tarnished.

Smart allick comments I've read is unnecessary. But go ahead, eat food from people who have just rubbed their toes, ran fingers thru their hair, and had their 5 dogs and cats running all around the table. Go ahead. Don't come crying to me when you start choking on cat hair (happened to me once after eating from a ladies house who had 2 cats running around).

***MOD CUT**

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 02-08-2010 at 03:54 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 PM

55,431 posts, read 74,298,512 times
didnt undertand the 1st part of post but as to the last part, the reason people dont talk to each other is bek they are discouraged from doing so. everything is "inappropriate" and subject to harsh censor. bad mouthing others is about the only way to engage in conversation. very negative. toxic nation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues