U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,179,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The military funds our moves but we always have breakfast (usually consists of donuts, water bottles, juice) out for the packers/movers. Then we also get them lunch as well (usually a large sub, pizza delivery) and some 2 liter bottles of soda. We do this for the 3-4 guys who come pack us and move us for the 3 days they are at our home working. Breakfast and lunch daily on us. At the end of the packing we tip about 20-40 per guy (this is usually after 1-2 days of packing) BUT I do alot prior. Everything is organized and our home is about half packed by me already they just need to put tape around my bins). Alot of it already is in the garage for them as well. Then we tip the day after they move all the stuff into the truck too. The same amount for the day for each guy.

We've moved 11 times. Only once was something damaged. Im talking even a glass. You take care of them, they'll take care of your stuff.
Sure, if you are going to offer it, just about anyone would take it. But a full house move, even including packing, shouldn't take three professionals three days, especially if you've already done half the work. I've moved far more than you, and never has it taken remotely this much bribery to get a decent job done.

And since the people loading the truck aren't the people driving it or unloading it, the food and tip bribery are misplaced entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 PM

747 posts, read 1,558,225 times
We always tip and feed them as well. They do some really back breaking work.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:01 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
We tip $20 per person and have cold drinks on hand.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM

250 posts, read 821,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Sure, if you are going to offer it, just about anyone would take it. But a full house move, even including packing, shouldn't take three professionals three days, especially if you've already done half the work. I've moved far more than you, and never has it taken remotely this much bribery to get a decent job done.

And since the people loading the truck aren't the people driving it or unloading it, the food and tip bribery are misplaced entirely.
I offer it because they are doing work for us and we want to show appreciation. I have never ever known a military move not taking three days. They pack every freakin little thing, a pack out takes 2 days typically (usually a little less). They usually send three guys. To actual move our stuff they come back on the third day and move it to the truck. This may be the same guys-and it may not. Im not bribing anyone at all. You show appreciation an respect for what they're doing. Its the only cost of moving we have why not spend a couple hundred bucks to show appreciation for the guys helping you?

My husband has had so many PCS military moves and its always been 3 days. Every other military FAMILY I have ever met it takes three days. Besides it does depend on amount of things you have. A bachelor in a one bedroom apt it will be less time and effort than a family of 4. The military authorizes it this way so the moving company typically will take that allotted time so they get the full amount no matter how much prep I do. I personally like to make sure my stuff is more organized so I throw stuff in bins myself. I make sure stuff is off the wall, I do what I can do because it helps me organize it. I know many many families who don't do that, they don't have to. I WANT to.

Not sure why you seem so defensive about what we do.

I don't believe its misplaced. Its all about how well the stuff is PACKED. So yes, Im going to tip the packers, and Im going to show appreciation. The guys who move the stuff INTO the truck--you want them to know you appreciate them too. There typically is one main guy managing the whole thing. Ours happened to be the driver who would be moving our shipment cross country. He emailed/called us personally everyday to let us know where he was. He set up a "door to door" with us meaning our shipment would not go into storage (and thus cause us one more move of our items and the potential for more broken items).

This is just our experience. My husband has had about 9-10 military moves, (we've done numerous other moves on our own) and its always been this way. 3 days, give the guys some food/beverages etc.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:27 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,742,533 times
Four moves in the last ten years from one end of the country to the other. Our household includes four people and our houses ranged from 1450-2100 sq. ft. Packing took three people one day in all cases, and loading was typically completed by 2:00 the following day.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,371,254 times
We tiped. I think it was $30 each.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 12,040 times
Default kodaka

I too have been a military wife, forever! We have moved fifteen times. When we began our military career, our pack out days were only one or two. As we grew as a family and accumulated more household goods, our pack out days increased. It now takes us three full days. It has since our our fifth move. Everyone is different, depending on the amount of hhg they have. As far as tipping, we have always tipped all of the people involved in our move. They work very hard and yes, they do take better care of your hhg if you take care of them! We have friends who refused to feed or tip for years. They finally caught on when their items were continually damaged and many of their military friends who did tip and feed the movers, never had damage. So, I truly believe that good treatment ( not bribery) makes them want to work harder and take care with our items. The people who load the truck do the most physical labor and deserve a tip as well, nothing misplaced about that!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,817,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyforever View Post
I too have been a military wife, forever! We have moved fifteen times. When we began our military career, our pack out days were only one or two. As we grew as a family and accumulated more household goods, our pack out days increased. It now takes us three full days. It has since our our fifth move. Everyone is different, depending on the amount of hhg they have. As far as tipping, we have always tipped all of the people involved in our move. They work very hard and yes, they do take better care of your hhg if you take care of them! We have friends who refused to feed or tip for years. They finally caught on when their items were continually damaged and many of their military friends who did tip and feed the movers, never had damage. So, I truly believe that good treatment ( not bribery) makes them want to work harder and take care with our items. The people who load the truck do the most physical labor and deserve a tip as well, nothing misplaced about that!
I presume then, that you tip BEFORE these guys work? Seems like that makes sense. How much care can a mover provide for a tip given after the move?

Is that what everyone else is doing?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM

13,842 posts, read 25,226,802 times
I tip and feed. I figure they need the same things I need. Cheaper for me to do this than have them wandering all over town searching for these things on my dime.

I've had some good results, some bad. So there are no guarantees.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 14,434 times
Not only is it unethical for them to accept a cash tip or favor (food), it's against their contract with the government.

Tipping and feeding them is a wives tale and I'll tell you why.

Prior to 2008, the military was responsible for all claims made against the move. The theory of tipping and feeding was that they would take care of your stuff better because they technically had almost no liability to keep your stuff nice and unbroken. Now if they showed gross negligence the government would go after the return. But for petty stuff under a certain threshhold it was written off b/c the moving contract was significantly cheaper.
From 2008 on, the government renegotiated the contracts and the carrier is liable for "full replacement value" (frv). Each driver is technically a contracted carrier/owner. The person actually moving your stuff is liable for a portion of all claims. Meaning if they break your stuff they get paid less.

The contracting company insures them (the driver/carrier only to a percentage).

So when you file a claim with the carrier their insurance picks it up, then they take from the carrier their back percentage.

With that in mind, you must under stand that their incentive to take care of your goods rest solely on the fact that they will get paid more. Plus the government is actively canceling contracts left and right.

This is a great system we have come too. And like I said they should not be accepting tips, and to offer such is dumb on your end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues