Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:58 AM

204 posts, read 665,824 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived and owned our home for over a decade. We are unhappy with our next door neighbors to the extent that we are considering selling and buying within the same neighborhood, should we find something we like.

We've got two kids that we'd like to keep in the same schools. Given that, we would only be interested in a few blocks if something comes on the market. So we are very limited. We are satisfied with the size of our home and the general layout, but would like a better lot and different neighbors.

We are in our mid-forties, our kids will be in college in another 7 years. We do have equity in our home and are in a good financial position right now. The market is not bad here, but this would still cost us and increase our mortgage payments. Financially it is not a great idea, and thats why we keep going back and forth on the decision!

Was wondering if others have been in this position and if you've just sucked it up and stayed in your home or have made the change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

176 posts, read 419,807 times
I actuallly moved a block away the last time I moved.
I had bought a repo and did quite a lot of work to it. 9 mounths later there was a house with a 24x36 shop in the back yard on the market another repo. I wanted the shop. I put my house on the market and 2weeks later I had 2 offers for full asking price. I made 20000 on the first one and got my shop. This was 5 yrs ago and real estate was a lot better than it is know.
I can see my old house from my back yard.
I did end up with better neighbors and a nicer corner lot.
The 6 weeks from putting the first house on the market to closing and moving was a little hectic.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM

863 posts, read 2,991,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
Financially it is not a great idea, and thats why we keep going back and forth on the decision!
In TODAYS economy, you answer is right there. If you have to think that much about it and if you aren't convinced the positives outweigh the negatives, I'd simply wait.

I have a good friend who has issues with her neighbor, we have one we don't particularly get along with, but it's neutral these days. A lot has to do with how you handle it. IMHO, find ways to make it work, at least for now.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
I have two friends who did it.

One was a blended family, they He/She lives 2 block apart and 5 kids beween them. They both sold there homes, and got a bigger one 4 blocks from where they started. They didn't want to have the Kids change schools, Friends Etc, But needed more space, and not have a mine vs yours house issue.

Second was right hand of Company not talking to left hand of company. He was offered a Mid/Upper mgmt job in different state. Sold house in PA. Move to NH, Got house there, 2 weeks after they got to NH, the company said they were closing the operation in NH, and moving it to PA. So they 'moved' him to PA. There 'old' house had been sold. They got a house 1 block away from the 'old' one. And back in PA in time for the kids to start school. The plant moved to PA about 6 months later, He went back and forth PA/NH for that period of time, She was able to get her old job back also.

Last edited by flyonpa; 03-13-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 05:18 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
I can't say whether or not you should move. However, here are a couple things you may want to take into consideration. You might be getting away from your old neighbors, but you may end up with a new headache at the new place. Also, if you currently live close to the school district boundries, even moving one street over may place you in a different district. One the plus side of things, it appears time is not an issue. So, you are not pressured to sell your house at a loss. And, you might find a house where the sellers need to sell quick.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Well I have had miserable neighbors and know what a nightmare it can be. My husband and I have moved twice purely out of wanting to get away from bad situations. In both instances it was not a gain financially. It cost us money to move but in terms of happiness we gained a lot. In our situation the neighborhood in general was showing slight changes that it may go down hill in the coming years so we didn't stay in the same area.

I actually know 2 people that took on a move such as the one you are considering. If you live in a neighborhood that you really enjoy then you are lucky and if you find a house that better meets your needs, then why not? My Dad did this. He always admired an historical home several blocks from him. when the house went up for sale he asked wife if it was crazy to consider selling their house and moving just a few blocks. She loved the historical house as well. They sold their house in record time and was able to purchase the historical house.

I have a friend that moved to an awesome location. One of those sweet deals that doesn't come very often. She purchased a small outdated starter home in the best location and street. Even though she was out growing the house she didn't want to move from the neighborhood. When the house across the street went up for sale, a much larger home she called me up and asked if she was nuts to buy across the street. I didn't think so at all. She went for it and I tell ya, it was the easiest and most organized move I ever saw. lol. We simply moved one room at a time. Everything was put in place as we went. For most it takes weeks to get completely organized in their new home, for my friend it took a few hours. We showed up with wagons and moved stuff back and forth across the street. It was actually pretty funny.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
I did it recently but I rent. In that case it was a good financial decision because it just meant a change in the price of rent per month.

I also have a friend who moved a couple streets down from her old house. Her neighbors were a complete nightmare and in her case it was totally worth it.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:19 PM

204 posts, read 665,824 times
Thanks for your posts so far everyone! It's always good to hear others' experiences.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM

168 posts, read 307,830 times
we have neighbors we have issues with too. minivans in the yard, station wagons in the yard. rusty stack of bicycles, big surprise, in the yard. plastic on the outside of the windows from 3 winters ago. you see where im going with this. were building a fence. a nice, tall, privacy fence.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
My husband and I have lived and owned our home for over a decade. We are unhappy with our next door neighbors to the extent that we are considering selling and buying within the same neighborhood, should we find something we like.

We've got two kids that we'd like to keep in the same schools. Given that, we would only be interested in a few blocks if something comes on the market. So we are very limited. We are satisfied with the size of our home and the general layout, but would like a better lot and different neighbors.

We are in our mid-forties, our kids will be in college in another 7 years. We do have equity in our home and are in a good financial position right now. The market is not bad here, but this would still cost us and increase our mortgage payments. Financially it is not a great idea, and thats why we keep going back and forth on the decision!

Was wondering if others have been in this position and if you've just sucked it up and stayed in your home or have made the change?

we moved down the block after being in a house for 3 years-it was a redone house for relatively the same $$ as the other. it was on a better lot of land as well. 5 years later we moved about 7-8 minutes away in the same town to a much bigger house. now after being here for 2 1/2 years it is not working out-we dont like the property and it is very expensive here- and we are moving back towards where we came. my kids think moving is an adventure and they have always stayed with their friends. we also have about 7 more years in the school district. we said we will stay in the next house until they finish school-after that i wont promise anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues