U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2010, 12:05 PM

39 posts, read 68,409 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, so in the new year I want to move. I really want to move to another state, and just start fresh. I just have no idea what the first step is to do that. I've read people saying you need to have another job lined up first, but it's hard to do that, if you don't even live in the state that you want a new job in. So if that option if off the table, what to do first? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:56 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,274,573 times
do you have any friends or family in other locations? Without a job, unless you have a large safety net in the form of a savings acct, it's tough to just pack up and move to another state without that job lined up. Having someone that could allow you to stay temp with them would be helpful, as you begin a job search. I can't speak for just packing up and doing it without a job, our WI to SC move this past year had no contacts in SC but we were able to take our jobs with us--removing that concern from the table.

And what are the reasons for the move? Weather, life change, tough job market where you are, etc? As deciding where to move to ( again based on employment ) would come into play as well. Have you researched areas that you'd like to live in first?

Once we knew we wanted to head south, then we spent months researching ( and visiting ) areas to determine where that move would be to. Then it was just a matter of putting our home up for sale, and when the sale was made it was just a matter of packing up and moving down.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:24 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,799,088 times
Easer said that done....I too and looking for a fresh start this year...I am a career Executive Assistant... i have no family or friends in in the state I want to move to...however how are you supposed to gain employment in the state where you want to relocate to when you have local candidates "waiting in line"...Very disconcerning situation.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,889,974 times
I think that is always an 'iffy' position to be in. I personally would take some savings, go to the location I want to move to and rent in an affordable extended stay hotel until I settled my job situation. Pretty much what I did when I first moved to Orlando. Then again, I was only moving a few hours away...so driving back to get my stuff when I found a permanent place wasn't too expensive or time consuming.

I really do think there is a lot to be said about just doing whatever it is in your heart to do. If you don't at least give it a try....you'll spend the rest of your life wondering if you could've pulled it off.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM

39 posts, read 68,409 times
Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM

12 posts, read 15,859 times
I'm running into a similar situation myself. The area that I'm in now is not very kind to couples starting out. There are no jobs, the weather is AWFUL and the taxes are outrageous. I have a job that pays the bills, but my fiance can't find work, even with his Bachelors degree. We're looking to move to SC but, as previously mentioned, it's hard to find a job unless you're in the area you're applying to. We've saved up a bit of money so we could just pack up and go but that's only going to cover us for so long. So if you can't find work before you move, then what?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM
PDF

2,289 posts, read 1,773,908 times
I'm moving from Florida to California very soon, without a job or an apartment. And without knowing a single soul.

It's impossible for me to get a job before moving, so I just have a bunch of money saved up and am one of those people that is just going to pick up and leave.

I say research the place you want to move to, figure out your budget and save as much money as you can to cover you until you find a job, and just do it.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM

119 posts, read 156,623 times
I'm looking to do that in another 2 years... definitely research. Create a budget. "Expect the worst, hope for the best". I'm not going anywhere until I'm done with my professional certification (which gives me a leg up on my field to get a job), and at least 6 months of expenses. Be prepared to make sacrifices... don't expect to find an awesome job right off the bat (though it can happen!). Be prepared for tight months of crunching numbers, or even lower work sources to get by. The economy is slowly recovering, but it is still pretty tough.

After that, definitely read the checklist in this forum: http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...checklist.html

If you have a lot of stuff, consider getting rid of most of it and move with a backpack and maybe whatever fits in your trunk. If you can't, get some quotes and work them into your budget. As much as I love the idea of getting up and going, eyes closed, I recommend to have your eyes wide open and be aware of things, especially in the money department.

What's a good first step if a job is out of the question? Research the area and the costs associated with it. Can you live within those means for 2-6 months while you find a job? Does the weather sound like something you can live with (2ft of snow is NOT as fun as people make it sound! Neither is a constant, toasty 102 degree weather). Are you close with your family? What would you be leaving behind? You don't know what you have until it's gone, and getting homesick after a move like that could take you straight back.

But best of luck! Do keep us posted!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 949,976 times
I am packing up and moving this month. I will be going back home, so there are friends and family keeping lookout for jobs for me, but I will be going without one. More downsides? I'll be going to a place that isn't very recession-proof AND I'm not a young person (think age discrimination - yeah, it's against the law, but it's still practiced).

With my junk, I'm packing my guts and determination, cuz that's about all I have left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues