U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,379 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for your replies. I do realise that a scout trip would be a good idea but I do not have the money to do that too as it would cost a lot. I've been thinking about possibly Seattle, Washington sticks out a lot for me.
I'm not totally opposed to rain! Maybe i should have mentioned that?! Crime rate is a big issue for me too as I'll be moving alone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,977,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlina View Post
Thank you all so much for your replies. I do realise that a scout trip would be a good idea but I do not have the money to do that too as it would cost a lot. I've been thinking about possibly Seattle, Washington sticks out a lot for me.
I'm not totally opposed to rain! Maybe i should have mentioned that?! Crime rate is a big issue for me too as I'll be moving alone....
Seattle and you don't want rain? It rains more there than almost anywhere else in the country. It's known for rain. It's called the Rain City.

Seattle's cost of living is high too. Maybe you should try Pittsburgh afterall! Pittsburgh is a safe mid-size city with lots of cultural amenities.

I recommend going to the different forums for the cities you're interested in and posting a thread for feedback.

How much could you spend on rent? Some cities can't meet that criteria for some people which would require you to live very far from the actual city.

Those are the types of answers you can find in the separate city forums.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,221,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I recommend focusing on areas of the country with low costs of living.
And I'd advise the exact opposite! I think it would probably be easiest to find an Au pair position - especially if she's looking for the job while she's still in Ireland - and anyone looking for an Au pair from another country, is obviously going to have a fairly high income.

sarahlina, if you're at all interested in starting as an Au pair, you could always move into something else later on - it might be worth considering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues