Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Do you think that the City-Data forums have become busier with people looking to move to another city?

Seems like so many people are relocating----some even without jobs are even moving to escape high cost of living aeas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:31 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,836 times
Actually recessions have the opposite effect. People move more during good economic times because there are more job opportunities in other parts of the country.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm going to disagree with you. Pittsburgh experienced a huge population loss after the crash of the steel industry even though there was a nationwide recession elsewhere in the country. I'm sure the same is happening in other areas of the country, like Detroit, now.

I've never seen so many people moving to Pittsburgh like they are now. People are moving here for the low cost of living. We're getting people without jobs, people who own their own businesss, people who are employed but telecommute. We're even getting retirees from Florida and elsewhere in the country.

I just hope our city doesn't boom because of this. Our economy remained stable during this recession because it's a stable economy that doesn't boom and bust.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:59 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
We're planning on moving soon because of the economy. I cannot get a job here. My husband has a decent job but it barely covers our expenses. We both need 2 okay jobs!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:19 PM

521 posts, read 4,413,291 times
William Frey, an internationally known demographer and Senior Fellow, Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution, recently published a study in which he looks at The Slowdown of Migration in America.

Using U.S. Census Bureau and IRS records, and analyzing data from domestic and international migration patterns through 2008–2009, Frey found
  • In 2007-2008, the overall U.S. migration rate reached its lowest point since World War II
  • From 2007 to 2008, 23 states, mostly in the Intermountain West and Southeast, showed reduced in-migration or a switch from in- to out-migration.
  • The metro areas that experienced the greatest recent migration declines were those that reaped the most migrants during the mid-decade housing bubble.
  • Migration to exurban and newer suburban counties dropped substantially, while it brought unexpected ‘windfall’ gains in many large urban cores.
  • Although international migration to the U.S. has also declined, it continued to offset losses from domestic migration in many large metropolitan immigrant gateways throughout the decade.
The comprehensive, 28-page report is broken into five parts:
  1. It examines the overall magnitude of the migration downturn, and the social and demographic groups most affected by it.
  2. It places special emphasis on longer-distance, interstate migration, which took the greatest plunge in response to the troubled job and housing markets.
  3. It considers how the migration slowdown has impacted individual states, focusing in particular on three traditional Sun Belt states—Florida, Texas, and California.
  4. Looks at migration shifts within metropolitan areas between urban, suburban, and exurban areas.
  5. Discusses the continued role of international migration as a source of population gains for major immigrant magnet metropolitan areas.
You can find a link to Frey's The Great American Migration Slowdown: Regional and Metropolitan Dimensions report and listen to his video summary or review other relocation trends at Americans aren't moving much anymore

Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
Well I know they say ppl move more during good times, but seriously in AZ ppl are moving out in droves. They said Phoenix population has really declined and that even illegal aliens are leaving AZ because they can't find jobs. I know of about 100 former co-workers who have moved away. Thank God for Facebook so we can all keep in touch. In my apartment building 4 have moved in two months and that's just one building out of a complex of maybe 40 buildings. Vacant houses are everywhere. I suspect people are moving back with family or closer to family because of the economy.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I moved to Oklahoma from socal because I wanted out of the ratrace, the stress, and the crowds. I also could barely make it financially. Here I do far better, have little stress and great people. Of couse, if I didn't like the laid back attitude and wanted stuff NOW, and didn't enjoy seeing space around me it might be different but we all find what works for us. For me this is quite compatable. What isn't working has ways to be fixed. We always need to really look at the place we're going, and ask ourselves if we really like what it has to offer. Not every place is right for everyone. Noone should move soley because its cheaper or you find a better paycheck. The rest of your life has to fit in too.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Noone should move soley because its cheaper or you find a better paycheck. The rest of your life has to fit in too.
I wished I'd thought of that 12 years ago when I moved to AZ. Now I can barely wait to move away.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
[quote=nightbird47;12365796 Not every place is right for everyone. Noone should move soley because its cheaper or you find a better paycheck. The rest of your life has to fit in too.[/quote] True. But sometimes a move is a necessity just to get a paycheck. I am in process of applying for a job that 's almost 1500 miles away from my home. I don't want to move. But I need a job, and if I get it, that's where I'l be headed. BTW, they opened the position for applicants yeasterday, and have over 112 applicants already from as far away as southern California.

I agree, with Hopes. Where I live just keeps getting more and more expensive...and there has to be a point, whether one likes the country or not, where making a living takes precedence over loving where you live. JMHO...

Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you think that the City-Data forums have become busier with people looking to move to another city?

Seems like so many people are relocating----some even without jobs are even moving to escape high cost of living aeas.

I think it is completely the opposite. A couple of years ago it seemed that City-Data forum had a lot more people asking about moving and a lot less people asking "Where's the best pizza in Huntsville" or "Where do the stars live in LA?"

In 2007, I vaguely remember City-Data being around 500 on the top websites, now it's around 1400 according to:

Alexa Top 500 Global Sites

Job Growth Erodes as Housing Bust Pushes Mobility to Record Low - BusinessWeek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues