U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 02:34 PM

46 posts, read 157,309 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I just wanted to post this for anyone who wants to check out local or non local moving companies. Always check for reviews from the company you are using just to be safe. I just almost booked one of these companies myself and when a friend said to check reviews first, it was the best thing because i saved myself major grief. www.movingscam.com Its a great site and they have a message board too. They highly recommend ABF.

just lettin ya know.
Take care

Last edited by 2goldens; 08-11-2009 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Moved from FLORIDA forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 05:26 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,122,657 times
I used to work for a company that owned a moving division. When I made my move I mentioned that I was getting quotes form online moving comapnies. I was told if I never wanted to see my stuff or pay extra dollars do not use online moving companies. First of all you should never receive a quote over the phone or online, a reptuable company will come to your house and give you a price in writing. Always make sure that is is a binding agreement, and do check out the websit that smb_minipins posted, you'd be surprised.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 AM

59 posts, read 247,569 times
I have used several national companies in cross-country moves. All but once the moves were paid for by the transferring company, and they did not object to the extra charges that were tacked on. The time I paid myself, the quote I was given was ignored and the driver demanded $1300 extra CASH or he would not deliver our things! And there was nothing we could do about it but fork over the extra money. And this was a national company, quite "famous".

Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,051,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCajun View Post
I have used several national companies in cross-country moves. All but once the moves were paid for by the transferring company, and they did not object to the extra charges that were tacked on. The time I paid myself, the quote I was given was ignored and the driver demanded $1300 extra CASH or he would not deliver our things! And there was nothing we could do about it but fork over the extra money. And this was a national company, quite "famous".
What is the name of the company? All ** sons? With this company, I got a quote. Then I got a phone call the day before the moving that they would charge me additional fee for gasoline. During the day we were moving, they were moving very slowly and even tried to chat with us and among themselves in order to run up the bill. At the end, all three of them sat in the truck for 30 minutes in order to roll over the time to 8 hours. Although all our bills were paid by our companies, I was still shocked by their business practice. When I did on line search afterwards, there were a lot of complains against them already.
We moved four times last year and all the moving expense was covered by our companies (between me and my hubby). Just for the curiosity, I tried the four different companies in south Florida. All other three are great and their staff were given a very generous tip. I only run into problem with this one and I didn't give them any tip.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 AM

147 posts, read 501,788 times
I was delighted in using ABF's U-MOVE division. I used local labor to pack the trailer and to unload the trailer and saved about 30% as compared with using a full service moving company. Nothing lost and nothing was broken.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,607,694 times
Be careful to talk directly to the moving company and not some transportation broker.

Also, if you do have issues, there is an office in the Federal Department of Transportation whose only function is moving scams.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,781,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Be careful to talk directly to the moving company and not some transportation broker.

Also, if you do have issues, there is an office in the Federal Department of Transportation whose only function is moving scams.

But you want your stuff, not a form letter. So, you fork over the extra dough, then complain later, like that will get you anything!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,607,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
But you want your stuff, not a form letter. So, you fork over the extra dough, then complain later, like that will get you anything!
My daughter didn't. She held tough for a couple of days, sicced both the federal and state governments on them, and they delivered for no additional cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues