U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 03:31 PM

204 posts, read 708,185 times

Advertisements

Two years ago-we sold our home in NJ after living in it 34 yrs. and raising 2 wonderful kids. We knew where we were headed-a town in MN-but that was it-we had no house/apt., furniture was loaded on moving van and we left.

The second day we were here-in a Country Inn and Suites-we found our dream home, signed contracts and closed in 6 days-we (and our furniture) had a new home.

It is hard at times as our children and grandkids are still in NJ-but they fly out and we head back for visits.

We never dreamt we were so adventuresome and at our ages too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 05:29 PM

369 posts, read 1,804,534 times
Wow Judogl44 - Good for you! What a fun adventure for you both. Sounds like you were ready for a change and went out and made it happen - super example for the kids...

Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 23,207 times
I moved from Long Island to Florida 10 years ago at age 45. It was traumatic but I am glad I did. I found a small town to live in centered around a village, near the ocean on an island. Everyday I wake up, walk by the beach and realize how lucky I am.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 PM

55,579 posts, read 74,469,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
yes.
scared me bad but it was a good move. i was in a rut.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 PM

45 posts, read 120,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
wow! Alot of people moved to Florida. everyone keeps skipping over Kentucky

WOW! I was just getting to the end of the screen page to say the same thing. WHAT IS UP WITH FLORIDA. All I hear about is how many bugs it has. I want to visit lots of states in the US but Florida is not one of them. That's just me I guess.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 PM

538 posts, read 1,657,446 times
I totally agree that it only adds to our character to force ourselves out of our comfort zone. I cannot wait to relocate out of So. CA to PA. All of my research and talking to relatives back there proves to me that we will be able to afford a much better quality of life. I like nice weather but a little rain and cold isn't the end of the world. I am excited to hear everything worked out for the original poster of this thread. It just proves to me that sometimes we have to take a risk or we can really lose.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 PM

258 posts, read 731,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
A few months after surgery for cancer I decided the krawp-hole my children and I lived in had imprisoned us long enough, I sold the trailer we lived in for $2500 and with only that and the clothes on my back moved 2500 miles away from everyone and everything I knew in Ca, to go to Tn to start a new life. I never regretted it, I adored Tn, and although I did end up returning to Ca because everything fell apart, I have not given up my dream of returning to the home of my heart.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM

937 posts, read 2,579,536 times
Well Im 21 and pretty close in my decision to pack up and move to Phoenix, AZ. If I get hired, Im outta here.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,193,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseedreamin View Post
I decided the krawp-hole my children and I lived in had imprisoned us long enough, I sold the trailer we lived in for $2500 and with only that and the clothes on my back moved 2500 miles away from everyone and everything I knew in Ca, to go to Tn to start a new life. I never regretted it, I adored Tn, and although I did end up returning to Ca because everything fell apart, I have not given up my dream of returning to the home of my heart.
You're in good company

Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,235,993 times
When I was 20 I got a job as a nanny in Toronto ; took my first flight out of Ireland and never looked back.
A year later my boyfriend at home moved to NY ; 6 weeks later I followed him from Toronto and we still live here 21 years later.

It was defiantely the best move we ever did. We have to work hard, have to depend on eachother for everything but we are just fine and love it.

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or