U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 AM

393 posts, read 1,251,321 times

Advertisements

echobeach-loved what you said about focusing on moving toward something rather than away from something. Puts a positive vibe on the concept going on in my life too. Thanks for another perspective on relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 462,291 times
this was a good read, if you are just tuning in now read all of the posts. I now need to figure out what to do with my house, save some money and take that leap.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM

5,982 posts, read 11,112,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post
this was a good read, if you are just tuning in now read all of the posts. I now need to figure out what to do with my house, save some money and take that leap.
May I suggest you find a reputable rental company and consider leasing it for a year or so? You may just find that what you're trying to leave is what you want to come back to - and then it's all gone.

We returned to the same town...and we live next door to our ex-house, which we sold prior to our move to the Caribbean. Truth is stranger than fiction! I love my new house, but sometimes I wish....

Old 12-06-2007, 06:47 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 462,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
May I suggest you find a reputable rental company and consider leasing it for a year or so? You may just find that what you're trying to leave is what you want to come back to - and then it's all gone.

We returned to the same town...and we live next door to our ex-house, which we sold prior to our move to the Caribbean. Truth is stranger than fiction! I love my new house, but sometimes I wish....
That would be cool, I wonder most of that type of place seam to have an answer of NO when you say your in Michigan, at least that's what my buddy told me.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,388,851 times
I really enjoyed reading all these stories. It makes me feel more positive to make my leap of faith and taking a chance w/ my wife and gamble her feelings and show her that there is more to life then a big home, big mortgage payment and always feel like we're always broke because of it. I to want more freedom and also would love to get away from relatives near by They seem to always get into our business. I just want to live my life w/ my family. Basically I want to reset my lifestyle.

Let me jump off that diving board right now!!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:32 AM

923 posts, read 2,224,822 times
Good for you Mike! I have moved ALOT! Different states and cities, always provided us unique experiences and adventure from living in very different climates and ways of life...it has been amazing and I do it again! However, this is our last move, as we are now getting older as well as some other things here...so enjoy your adventure!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:01 AM

8,672 posts, read 10,923,336 times
I am sure you will find many interesting things. We left our home state for AZ 3 years ago. We have no regrets to date. The friends we left were not such good friends and the work here is far better and we have made new, better friends. Happy trails!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:04 PM

649 posts, read 2,365,564 times
Default We're goin'! (I think...)

Well, I was born and raised in Baltimore, then after college (in MI), moved here to upstate NY. Have been here 23 years, have a good job with great pay and bennies, my son (11) is happy, hubby has built a nice business. So WHY are we planning to move to Hawai'i next summer, taking my elderly mom with us? And how will it work out? ???

I have no job lined up there, no house - and housing is about 5 times as expensive as here, not kidding. OK, it's going down a bit, maybe 4 times. But seriously, I have a nice, 5BR/2ba house, worth maybe $180K, and I can't even get VACANT LAND on Kauai for that! Not to mention more expensive food, and everything, and much lower salaries, generally. And fewer cultural opportunities, and poor public schools... and talk about the logistics of a move - 3000 land miles, plus 3000 ocean miles... shipping cars, micro-chipping cats, selling/giving away everything unnecessary... what a PAIN!

But I am hoping beyond hope that this move will actually happen. I am so happy and excited about it! WHY??? Good question! I'm not entirely sure! Part of it may simply be that if I don't try it I will wonder for the whole rest of my life what would have happened, and probably regret it. Part may be that my favorite sister and niece have moved there and are happier and more content than they ever were here (we followed sis here in 1984, she had come in '79; mom followed from B'more after dad died in '85). Part may be my undying optimism, coupled with true hatred of 10-degree temps and icy windshields.

Part of it may be that I recently followed a dream I'd had since I was a teenager, to become a firefighter and EMT, and I actually made it happen, at the ripe old age of 42, after giving up on it so many years earlier. That experience gave me so much confidence that if you want something to happen, you CAN make it happen! And that you shouldn't spend your life saying, I can't... if only I could... but DO IT! If you don't DO IT in this life, when will you? And this life will be over soon enough!

Bottom line, sis has found out that there is a wonderful community on Kauai, lovely people, a wonderful private school - better than any around here (there really are only a couple, and no high schools). SHE found a job within a month, a GOOD job, doing something she always wanted to do. She took a pay cut, but is making it, and is happy. I love her. I want to live in the sun, be able to go outside all year round, and just do something and be somewhere different.

So I say, follow your dream, because if you don't, who will??

Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 PM

649 posts, read 2,365,564 times
Default p.s.

After writing that last post, it came to me - I think the most important thing is to go into a move with your eyes open. Research, visit, talk to people, look on these forums, whatever - just *be honest* with yourself about what you're trying to find, and what you won't (probably) find, at your destination. I don't expect to find cheap housing in HI, and I don't expect to live in the same way I do here in NY. I know I won't be able to do exactly the same thing I do here (BTW, while I said I had a "good" job, that's true - objectively; but after 15 years I'm really sick of it!), and my husband will have to spend a few years building up his repair business, which is mainly by word-of-mouth (he builds and repairs musical instruments). We won't be able to go into the grocery store and buy anything that strikes our fancy. I will need to train from scratch to be an EMT, and there are no volunteer firefighters or EMTs on the island. Yada yada yada.

And, I am going to do more research (and take the Hawaii bar exam - yeah, I'm a lawyer, hold your fire!) when we go out for two weeks in February, and hopefully at least get a lead or two on a job, or learn about the climate for opening my own practice. Again, trying to go with my eyes open. And if it looks REALLY dreadful, maybe regroup and change our plans, consider waiting a few years. BUT I hope not - I'm ready for a change, my 80-yr-old mom is really psyched about getting out of this hellish climate (and planning how to run a brand new e-store from her new digs), hubby is willing to give it a go (he's been wearing aloha shirts for the past 20 years - at least some part of him wants to "go where the climate suits his clothes"), and my son is ready to take his bow and arrow and get us some wild chicken for dinner! (OK, perhaps his expectations aren't realistic, but he's 11 - and there ARE a bazillion wild chickens on Kauai, and there is a lot of hunting in the mountains, including bow seasons on lots of things, so who knows?)

Old 12-07-2007, 10:36 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,255,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
Yes, I grew up in DC but my Mother moved me back to IL by 11th grade year due to a illness in our family. Upon graduation, I had a plane ticket back to DC where I lived with a close family friend, landed a job, enrolled in college and saved up to get my own place. After 7 years, I decided to move to Miami (after a visit) because I wanted a change of scenery. I left my well established job, all my friends and hit the road, cashed in my 401K and left with nothing but my car and clothes and one television. I lived with my brother and his wife for 6 months until I learned my way around the city and decided upon a neighborhood. After 10 years, a child and a husband we went on a small vacation and fell in love with another city in another state. 2months later, we packed up and moved where we knew NOT ONE SINGLE SOUL and adjusted quite nicely. Unfortunately due to a family members' urgent need for my assistance, we left and came to TX where we plan to stay.

Change is not so bad, it's just being away from family. But there's always the phone and Internet. Plus we have a family reunion 1x every other year. My immediate family, we try to visit one another every year at least - so it works. It just sucks not to have that family togetherness or ability to have that extra help when you might want to get away with the hubby. Leaving my child with a friend is not the same as leaving her with my sister/mother/grandmother/brother
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues