U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 01:26 AM

45 posts, read 103,302 times

Advertisements

We grew up in California and left to buy an old Victorian House on an acreage in the Mid-West back in the 1990's. We left good jobs and friends, but no family. They had already left California.

We didn't like living where it was so isolated, moved again to a small town in the Mid-West, and still didn't like it.

Eventually, we decided to head back West, but didn't want to go back to California because it's just so expensive to buy a house there.

Wound up driving across country with our family and animals in tow. Our things were in storage until we figured out where to go.

We picked New Mexico and we felt at home immediately and decided to stay here. We like it here very much. And plan to stay here for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 AM

139 posts, read 350,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
Let me start off by saying that I was really excited to read all these posts!
Because I'm kind of thinking about doing something like that when I go to college. I want to go to the University of Hawaii at Manoa... and I live in Florida. I have a great supportive family, and some awesome friends, but I'm a really really outgoing person. I love going new places and meeting new people, and I figured an easy way to do that would be to go to college off the mainland, and HOPEFULLY I'll be able to study abroad.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 AM

69 posts, read 280,831 times
This is an interesting topic! I was born in Indiana and raised in Wisconsin from the time I was 2 until I was 18...but now in 25 days I am moving to Florida, leaving everything and everyone I know. I do already have a job down there by luck and freak coincidence after being at the Clearwater airpot I was just randomly offered an interview and got the job, full-time and benefits working for Signature flight support group. I was down there on vacation by myself and to look around because I was planning on moving there around this time. Because everything just kinda fell into place like that, I feel very confident that I am making the right choice. Though I am very fortunate to have one friend down there, who happens to be my best friend, and her mom and step dad are down there too, so I at least know 3 people, but otherwise I have a lot of meeting new people to do when I get there!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,889,512 times
I lived in SWFL from the age of 1 to 24.. My entired life as a child all I wanted to do was live up north and see snow. I married my husband who grew up in Maine and missed NE... We decided to take the plunge and move up to NH. He was offered a great job as a police officer and after years of planning and saving we moved in June of 07... it was great for a while we loved it, so much to do and see. But once winter hit we hated it.. hated it with a capital H... there's nothing to do now, its too cold to go out, the trees all are dead and depressing and its hard work to shovel and de ice and defrost.. We regret it terrible.. We picked a town where we did not know a single person, closest family (no direct) is 2 hours away. Our entire direct family brothers sisters, parents etc, all still live back in fla.. We are tryingto get back to fla asap and hope to be home by june..

Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,213,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I lived in SWFL from the age of 1 to 24.. My entired life as a child all I wanted to do was live up north and see snow. I married my husband who grew up in Maine and missed NE... We decided to take the plunge and move up to NH. He was offered a great job as a police officer and after years of planning and saving we moved in June of 07... it was great for a while we loved it, so much to do and see. But once winter hit we hated it.. hated it with a capital H... there's nothing to do now, its too cold to go out, the trees all are dead and depressing and its hard work to shovel and de ice and defrost.. We regret it terrible.. We picked a town where we did not know a single person, closest family (no direct) is 2 hours away. Our entire direct family brothers sisters, parents etc, all still live back in fla.. We are tryingto get back to fla asap and hope to be home by june..
Yea you gotta kinda research that stuff before moving everything,if you wanted to see snow you could've just taken trips up there in the winter and then get to go back where it's warm.
Good luck with getting out.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,889,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Yea you gotta kinda research that stuff before moving everything,if you wanted to see snow you could've just taken trips up there in the winter and then get to go back where it's warm.
Good luck with getting out.
Oh we did tons of research for almost 2 years, my husband knew what it was like to live in snow, he livedin northern Maine for 11 years. We actually did come up to experience snow in Jan-Feb of 07 for 3 weeks, the freak winter year where it was 50's during the day. Never snowed once, the day after we left (Valentines Day blizzard) it obviously snowed like crazy.. Just out luck, so I'm starting to think the whole thing was botched from the begining lol! Oh well..And now we've gotten very 40 inches in December alone... what the heck you can never win!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,213,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Never snowed once, the day after we left (Valentines Day blizzard) it obviously snowed like crazy.. Just out luck, so I'm starting to think the whole thing was botched from the begining lol!
Funny,I actually ended up getting stuck here in the Valentines Day blizzard of '03. Good choice of words...everything was botched from the beginning

Old 01-04-2008, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,126 times
What is your profession. My family and I are looking to do the same thing.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:19 PM

672 posts, read 691,562 times
The first time I came here I was 21 years old. I had a BF who was from Bradenton and living in Gainesville. He was a student and roadie and talked me into coming to Florida. I was living with the parents in Manhattan but still had a good corporate job. I quit my job, took all my money out of the bank, and left on a Greyhound bus.

I spent all my time sitting in the apartment. The BF was never aound. I could not find a job. I did not drive and had to walk anywhere I wanted to go. There wasn't very many places to go anyway. Although I was still young and college age, I want not into that scene. I had been working since I was 17 and that scene just seemed too young for me.

I missed my parents and my friends. Although I had problems with them when I lived at home, I found that I missed them. I spent a lot of money calling my Mom on the phone. I disliked the weather. Around December I just couldn't take it all anymore. I said goodbye to the BF and got back on another Greyhound bus headed to NY. Although after 30 plus years most of that time is now a blur, my most memorable instance was coming back on the bus. I can remember the driver had the radio on and America by Simon and Garfunkel was playing:

"Let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together."
"I've got some real estate here in my bag."
So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner pies
And we walked off to look for America

"Kathy," I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
"Michigan seems like a dream to me now"
It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw
I've gone to look for America

Laughing on the bus
Playing games with the faces
She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy
I said "Be careful his bowtie is really a camera"

"Toss me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat"
"We smoked the last one an hour ago"
So I looked at the scenery, she read her magazine
And the moon rose over an open field

"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping
I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all gone to look for America
All gone to look for America
All gone to look for America

The driver announced that to the right the Manhattan skyline was coming into view just about the time Simon and Garfunkel were singing the line "counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike". Talk about strange timing. The entire bus, which was filled to capacity, started cheering and clapping. Some people even stood up waving their arms. It was really amazing. I started crying. Even today when I hear that song I can picture myself on that bus coming home to New York and how happy I was that day.

Well, fast foward to 2008 and the "cruel fickle finger of fate", as they use to say, has zapped me and I am once again back here in Florida. Now, instead of talking every day to my parents on the phone every day, I am talking on a computer every day to my daughters in NY. I now drive and have a car. I have a husband of 34 years. I have a job. Other than that, life is still about the same as it was the last time I was in Florida. My feelings about Florida have not changed in 30 years.

I'm empty and aching and I DO know why.

I want to be able to count the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike. I want to look to the right and see the skyline of Manhattan --- My City, My State, MY HOME.

Last edited by HockeyMom72; 01-04-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 10:30 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,689,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.
Yes, several times, and also out of the country. Some people take to such moves like ducks to water, thrilling in all the new sights/sounds/possibilities of their new home. Others might only see negative comparisons and not see anything good about their new situation. Personally I've found there are good and bad points about every location, and realize that good vs. bad is based on my own values and expectations.

It is a VERY good idea to talk with people in your target area and also read as much as possible, so you feel "familiar" with the place before you get there --- or even THINK of actually quitting your job and moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or