U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 03:59 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,552,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
well i dunno whatd itd be. i hate the weather, hate the people, i dont really have any friends here, a family...well theyll be there. the only thing i really like is the rural atmosphere, but that can be found in many places in the north. and yea im doing a lot of research as i know itll be a big change, and i want to be fully prepared

im not really the adventurous type anyway, i dont like doing anything "risky"
So, am I right to conclude that bungee jumping is out of the question???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:13 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,211,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I moved like this just a couple days after I turned 18. Couldn't wait to get out of my parents' house and away from the control of their religion (I was raised in a cult). They were living in eastern PA at the time, and two days after my 18th birthday I got up, packed a single suitcase, walked to the bank and withdrew the money I'd been saving for the occasion since I was 11 years old, and left on the next Greyhound out of town. Moved as far away as I could at the time (Northern Cali). Never went back. Never regretted it. Would do it again in a heartbeat, only I'd do it about two years sooner.
Wow... that sounds like a great movie! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/popcorn.gif (broken link)

Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 PM

5,167 posts, read 8,691,075 times
Smile Have you ever left everything...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losandjenn View Post
Yes, when I met my DH and he's in the Navy. My theory is you can always go home, take a leap!
I'm new to these forums but what is a DH?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Smile Have you ever left everything...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
This sounds like me. I am 26 though, but I have lived within 50 miles of my hometown all my life. Five years ago or so I got a feeling that Arizona might be the place for me and I have not been able to get rid of that feeling. I have even applied for a mortgage to buy a house here in CA, but it just did not feel right. It wasn't even about the prices either, it was more about this feeling of missing out on something that could be great.

Reading through this forum I was really happy with all of the responses that I got to my post. It is hard to take a leap of faith and move to another state, especially when you do not have any ties to that state. Of all the people that responded, most had very positive experiences. It is difficult to me to leave CA and maybe end up coming back because CA is always more expensive than other places. I am worried that I will not be able to come back because of prices, but I guess that is part of the risk. No risk, no reward.
I have lived in Boca Raton or the South Florida area since I was 11.
My husband and I have 2 children, 23 and 18. (very positive experience) My daughter (23) just moved to NYC (Manhattan) after college. Out of the extended family (34 of us), she is the first to leave. The younger generation is from age 24 to age 17 (24 of them). What she does not realize is what she will miss but hopefully, she will be back. We do a lot of family stuff and I must say we had our Christmas party 2 weeks early and she flew home(no begging - her decision) - and then flew home for a week 2 weeks later.

The family stuff is really important and I guess it gets important when everyone starts getting married, having families and so forth.

I have really enjoyed reading on this site and some of you are SO brave!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Have you ever left everything...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for...but we did a huge leap and went from rural Arkansas to St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, on a job transfer that was supposed to be for at least 5 years. We both come from fairly insane, although close-knit, families. We both love the ocean, diving, what we thought was island life, constant temperatures rather than the ups and downs of seasons. We're baby boomers, no kids at home, great job on the other end for spouse and I took my i-net based job with me.

It was lovely, don't get me wrong. It was also an entirely different culture where just the language barrier alone was enough to have me sitting on the ledge most days. All amenities were pretty much gone...any chore took twice as long (island time) and cost at least twice as much as we were prepared for.

We had done what is touted as a pre-move visit for about nine days....and nine days can't possibly tell you all you need to know. You can stand anything for nine days and it was just quirkly and unique. Living it every day, though, just wore on my nerves. My husband's job was far from "island time" and he was about to stroke out from stress. At the end of 13 months we looked at each other and did the "oh no - what now?" thing. And there we were under contract for 5 years! My husband told his employer, a major U.S. corporation, that it just wasn't working for us...we were committed to doing what we had to do based on giving our word, but we weren't going to be happy about it. Fortunately, they had an opening in the same town we left in Arkansas and were delighted to have us come back here...and after spending a butt load of cash and learning a lot of lessons along the way, here we are again.

I hate learning lessons this late in life, and I hate that we blew through so much money to find out nothing was as we'd pictured it, or even hoped for. The weather was beautiful and the diving was great, but we pretty much never found our spot. Just a few months before our departure I found a couple of mainlanders (and there are a ton of them) that I really grew to love...had I met them sooner, maybe things would have been different. As it was, we were several thousand miles from our crazy families, whom we suddenly developed a fondness for....we missed the holidays, we missed being with my grown kids, we missed the seasons, we missed everything that was familiar to us. My husband is originally from New Jersey, so he knew about big moves and even he just wanted to come "home".

So much will depend on your personal situation and your adaptability. We look back on The Year Long Vacation now and smile -and we did learn things and see things and live a life a lot of people can only dream of...but it simply wasn't for us. I don't think it would have been any different if we'd moved to Colorado or Virginia - we were too far away from the things and places and people that we love for it to work for us.

I admire those with an adventurous spirit who can just roll with whatever comes no matter where they are....we found out, it ain't us. I wouldn't take anything for the experience, but I'd never try anything like it again.
I loved your post; wow, very good. Hope things are good now.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Smile Have you ever left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazizi View Post
I moved from Long Island to Florida 10 years ago at age 45. It was traumatic but I am glad I did. I found a small town to live in centered around a village, near the ocean on an island. Everyday I wake up, walk by the beach and realize how lucky I am.
I'm in Florida also (Boca Raton) - where are you? Sounds lovely also.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Smile Have you ever left...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
I hear you! I'm moving out of Arizona too, later this year, and moving to Florida. We are thinking of Tampa, Sebring, or Daytona Beach. We've been to all 3 about 4 times, in the past, and we loved it. Yeah, I'm with you on Arizona. It's not for me (never was, but we moved here because of his job here that he already had when I was in the Army).
I live in Boca Raton, FL - have good friends in all the areas you mentioned so if you need more info, please reply. Sebring is a nice quiet little town.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:50 PM

71 posts, read 393,970 times
So I need some opinions. The main question I have is, 'Is it more important to live near family and friends, or is it more important to get out and live somewhere you have always dreamed of living when you have the chance?' The reason I ask is that I am 25 and will be finishing grad school in the spring of 2009. My fiancee and I will be getting married around that time and he will be finishing up a 3 year rotation that he is in for his current job. After the wedding will be the perfect time for us to pick up and move to somewhere new and exciting, but we are torn because we also like being near family and friends. We currently live in the midwest and besides being near people we love, there's not much else we like about it. I am absolutely in love with Colorado and have dreamed of moving there ever since I visited for the first time when I was 18. I have been back to visit multiple times and love it more each time. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that we are torn between moving far away (where we couldn't exactly come home for the weekend) and staying close to our family and friends. What do you think is more important? We keep saying maybe we will go somewhere farther away 'just for a few years' but we know the truth is that if we move out there we probably won't want to come back...at least not anytime soon...not to mention we will probably have pretty good jobs by then that we won't want to leave. We aren't worried about finding jobs and money really isn't an issue (of course if we were trying to move to California it would be a different story)....so what should we do??

Old 01-22-2008, 12:29 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,211,330 times
COBound... what I get from reading people's posts on here and people I've asked (we're kicking around the idea of moving) is that, make the move and if you don't like it, move back. There's plenty of people who, when they're young and really just starting life, they move away from "home" (meaning family and friends), but as their priorities in life change (having babies, parents getting elderly, etc.), they move back because being near family has moved up the priority ladder.

Thanks to the internet (emails, webcams, etc.) family isn't as far away as it used to be.

Then again, you can always leave the decision up to a toss of a coin. I'm being serious. Get a coin; heads you move; tails you stay. If you flip the coin and don't like the outcome and have the desire to flip it again... then you have your true answer.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,207,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I'm new to these forums but what is a DH?
It's a cutesie euphemism for 'Husband'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or