U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,138,097 times

Advertisements

The biggest move I made was after I lost all nine yards I maintained in the Oakland hills fire of 1991. I went from lucratively employed to fired overnight. A friend of mine told me about her 140 acres in southern Humboldt county California that had a 300 sf cabin with a spring and an outhouse available that she had not lived in for 10 years or more. I only had to chase out the raccoons and any other critters that may have invaded the place and to get myself a rifle. Me, a rifle, the smallest city I lved in was Pittsburg and next was Berkeley and Oakland. To me the wilds was going into the Berkeley hills on a hike. We packed up all that we could use with us in the back woods into two moving vans and moved 350 miles north of where I had lived all my life, there were no convienances to speak of, 3 TV channels on a good day and zero phone. Power was a generator and cooking and heat was provided by a wood stove. The cabin was 7 miles back on a dirt road at 1,400 feet with a pass or two at 2,000 feet. Over seven years living as " Grizzly Adams " and encountering bear, bobcats, coyote, fox, deer, wild turkey [ not the drink ] , seeing my first bald eagle and golden eagle and other wild life first hand in the woods or outside the cabin, City life seems tame. Growing up in the Bay Area, I never knew what it was like to get snowed in and feel isolated for a week. I bought myself some chicks , rabbits from a neighbor and seeds and starts from the local feed store within months of moving up here and that led to raising enough food to both can and give away to friends. Now my dream is to become a small time farmer with a fruit and vegetable stand, wearing my overalls and big hat greeting all visitors with a big sunny and happy smile. With determination I will get there and so far everything is working out according to plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 12:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,445,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I've worked in office environments where people pretty much could do what they wanted. Of course I had the same outcome as you did but for the most part people had freedom at those places. You just got a bad apple on that one.

I've seen this sort of thing in several places and either it is my field, the midwest, or just an abundance of really b*tchy women in this area.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
Excellent points- it's no comparison when you're on your own trying to not only start over, make a good life for you & your kids, but also trying to just survive. I know exactly what you're talking about-I've made moves when I was married, no problems...everything's easier when you're married. The contrast in realities is that it's unbelievably hard (seemingly at times to be impossible) when it's just you & your kids. I have similar stories about my former bosses & coworkers,too many... that are just terribly hard to even want to recall. I like to believe that Karma will catch up to those heartless SOB's. Money was terribly tight, w/ nothing to fall back on.
As far as moving & starting over I realize that we should have gotten out of this area a long time ago....we're finally just going to go for it.

What is your area? I am starting to feel like where I live is holding me back, too...

Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
The biggest move I made was after I lost all nine yards I maintained in the Oakland hills fire of 1991. I went from lucratively employed to fired overnight. A friend of mine told me about her 140 acres in southern Humboldt county California that had a 300 sf cabin with a spring and an outhouse available that she had not lived in for 10 years or more. I only had to chase out the raccoons and any other critters that may have invaded the place and to get myself a rifle. Me, a rifle, the smallest city I lved in was Pittsburg and next was Berkeley and Oakland. To me the wilds was going into the Berkeley hills on a hike. We packed up all that we could use with us in the back woods into two moving vans and moved 350 miles north of where I had lived all my life, there were no convienances to speak of, 3 TV channels on a good day and zero phone. Power was a generator and cooking and heat was provided by a wood stove. The cabin was 7 miles back on a dirt road at 1,400 feet with a pass or two at 2,000 feet. Over seven years living as " Grizzly Adams " and encountering bear, bobcats, coyote, fox, deer, wild turkey [ not the drink ] , seeing my first bald eagle and golden eagle and other wild life first hand in the woods or outside the cabin, City life seems tame. Growing up in the Bay Area, I never knew what it was like to get snowed in and feel isolated for a week. I bought myself some chicks , rabbits from a neighbor and seeds and starts from the local feed store within months of moving up here and that led to raising enough food to both can and give away to friends. Now my dream is to become a small time farmer with a fruit and vegetable stand, wearing my overalls and big hat greeting all visitors with a big sunny and happy smile. With determination I will get there and so far everything is working out according to plan.

Well, hey, you have my admiration. That took guts. My dream is to have my own business too, then I can put my energy, talents, and brain into making myself some money, instead of having to dodge political bullets all day and being treated like some scum by someone who got promoted over me because they bent over the right way.
Working for big companies doesn't have the big appeal anymore for a lot of people. Yeah, some are still seduced by a big recognizable name, as if they are joining a great sports team. Lured by the idea of security, etc., but the security is never there.
There has to be a better life.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 PM

173 posts, read 545,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
What is your area? I am starting to feel like where I live is holding me back, too...
Chicago, of course....seems like I read lots of posts of people who have happily moved away from this area with no regrets. I want to do the same.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,138,097 times
I miss read the thread when I first read it thought it said, what is your biggest move. At the time, moving 350 miles north felt like I had moved to Oregon and most of my family thought that I had. For a while Northern California was proposing that they secede from California and be a separate state called Jefferson. So I guess that I felt like I had moved to the state of Jefferson at the time and somewhat still do.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,217,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It does happen

Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 PM

926 posts, read 2,459,247 times
When I graduated college in Champaign, IL my then boyfriend of 6 years accepted a job in Cincinnati working for Toyota, in 3 months, 2 one day trips, I found a job and an apartment and moved to Cincinnati That was in 2005 and I'm still here and we are broken up. Nobody, not even myself, thought Id make it on my own this long but now I am ready to move to a destination of my choice and not someone elses. Im considering moving to either Greenville, SC or Ann Arbor, MI when my lease is up in August. My job is 100% travel and last month I went to Greenville and fell in love with it after one visit! And I have tons of friends in Ann Arbor so thats where the appeal is there. I would love to move back home (chicago) but the cost of living is too high, Ive had a taste of independent life and theres no turning back now! (living with parents).Greenville is a scsry moe since I know no one and its considered to be in the conservative "bible belt" and Im liberal and adventurous, plus I love diversity and Greenville still has some growing to do

Old 03-14-2008, 02:48 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,371,468 times
I'm moving to San Francisco alone this coming April. I know I can depend on myself and while it may be tough to only have that one income, I know what I am capable of.
I don't expect an easy ride, but I'd rather go to where I want to be than stay where I am not feeling at home.
As long as a person has a half a brain and willpower and will to work, anything's possible. Slowly but surely I'll have a permanent place to stay and a job (or two) and build something from nothing....I'm looking forward to see what happens. To me it's an adventure and even if you (unhappily) stay where you are; life is unpredictable and can throw you for a loop.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 AM

162 posts, read 435,634 times
Yep, raised in France, moved to London UK at age 11... after University in Oxford (South part of UK) movred right up to Newcastle in the North East. At 28 moved down to London. Now middle aged & about ti move to US with my USC husband. Did I regret any of the earlier moves? I had no choice in any of them, but they all turned out fine. How do I feel about this one? Utterly terrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or