U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 AM

173 posts, read 545,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I've been very seriously considering doing just this, moving away from everything I've ever known. Sadly, most of my relatives are either dying, dead, or indifferent. The live indifferent relatives don't even send me Christmas cards, so I've stopped sending them.

I have to admit that I'm scared to do this. My biggest concern is the job market. Can someone in their early 50's find work in this economy? Most of my job experience is customer service related, mainly banking, but some telecom. I never seem to have gotten a break job wise, always in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What I'm looking for area wise is one that I can obviously find a job that will adequately support me, has reasonable taxes-including property taxes, and very importantly--has a lot less snow, and a lot more sunshine than here in Upstate New York.

Any thoughts???
The relative situation means there's no reason to stay where you are now. Go for it- decide where you want to be, research the place, visit, just to be sure & make the move
The job market sucks everywhere right now, so it's not going to be easy with nothing lined up; one thing I like to believe is to "Take the leap of faith & the net will appear"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 AM

5,244 posts, read 14,049,707 times
We did and never looked back.

We were in SW FL and the housing boom hit. Our rent went from $650 to $1695 in 3 years. It was nuts.

We looked for a year before we found an area we liked. Came up to look around and wound up buying a home. Went home and the kids asked if we liked TN. We told them we did and we bought a house and they needed to pack. Put in our notice and 3 weeks later pulled out of the driveway.

The area we lived in was the only place I'd ever lived. As a matter of fact, on my mother's side of the family, I was the 5th generation born and raised on that island. Leaving a Gulf of Mexico island in SW FL to the mountains of TN was a huge lifestyle change, but one that was wonderful and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 AM

529 posts, read 1,168,175 times
I left my homecountry where all my family lives and I had a decent job as a software engineer, BUT I wanted more, I applied for graduate schools here in the US and met my gf there, after getting 2 advanced degrees in Math and Finance I got a good job which allows me to live comfortably and save a good chunk of my paycheck, I'm getting married next month and not planning in going back since I'm ready to start my family here.

Between my gf that lives with me and my parents and siblings that come visit me once or twice per year, they made the transition for me although I can say that even though I'm in my 30's I get home sick every now and then

Last edited by elikhom; 10-22-2008 at 09:26 AM..

Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 AM

1,123 posts, read 168,908 times
I had always wanted to go to CA, so after high school, packed up and drove to San Diego. I did have some money that I had saved while working through high school. Got a waitressing job, then someone offered me an office job and the rest is history. Never regretted any min of it. 6 years later Dad got sick and asked if I was ready to come back home. For a long time thought that I would go back to San Diego, but not regretting that I stayed.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:40 AM

542 posts, read 1,758,308 times
YES I moved myself and my 10yr old from Ohio to Las Vegas and I don't regret it at all!! I just got my gas bill and it was $25!! Knowing that I won't have any $300-$500 gas bills this winter is more icing on the cake!! lol

Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 23,271 times
Easybreezy: Just a thought for you to Google, but Farmington Missouri is on of the fastest growing small towns, that we can now safely call a small city now. There are decent retail jobs, and different types of jobs. If you know your way around the computer, you could check it out. And still, you would have less winter, but truley all 4 seasons. As long as global warming does not make a liar out of me. GOOD LUCK!!!!! I have up and moved a few times. State to State.
Kathrine

Old 10-22-2008, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 13,072 times
i joined the military at 25 and it sent me to monterey CA, Cairo (Egypt, no Illinois), and currently Biloxi MS, and next to South Carolina and beyond... ??? i live with my belongings in storage and a suitcase and a duffle. no regrets.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:38 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,885,796 times
We left No. CA and moved cross country to coastal NC. Missed our friends for a while, but made new ones, and we're loving it here.

There are lots of things I miss about No. CA, but lots of things I love equally well--or more--here.

No regrets.

One thing I've learned is that everything in life is a trade-off--and there is no perfection. A new place will not cure any personal problems--they just come with you...luckily, we imported our spirit of adventure and it's turned out fine...the first year was a period of adjustment...now NC is truly our home.

But it does help to have a portable profession like writing or nursing as jobs are not so easy to find these days...

Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 PM

329 posts, read 1,127,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67
"Take the leap of faith & the net will appear"
Love the quote.

In the spring I am moving to the Charlotte area. I have been planning this for over a year and the original plan was to move in October this year. However, I was concerned with the way the economy was going and decided to wait until spring. I know things aren't improving, but feel this is what I must do or I will regret it the rest of my life.

I am 42 - single - no kids. I can make sacrafices than if I had a family to worry about taking care of - and I will have some contract work coming my way for at least 6 months. I also have a very good friend.

I have debated this and discussed this with so many people - and it does still scare the sh*t out of me - but it also excites me. I wish the economy was doing better - I would feel a lot more secure - however, it is something I feel I just must do no matter how crazy it may seem. No regrets!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:06 PM

101 posts, read 270,873 times
I love that quote too. A net is a good thing. But, I am also worried about the economy and the wisdom of leaving my secure situation for the unknown in New Mexico. The place is calling me though and I think,despite it all, I will take a chance soon and go for it. I have researched and visited several times so it won't be a blind leap but still.....
So much wisdom on this forum. Thank you all for your contributions. I find it very comforting to know that I'm not as crazy as the people who know me think I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or