U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 AM

2,140 posts, read 1,398,204 times

Advertisements

Best thing I ever did. Seeing Chicago almost bankrupt gives me a vile joyfulness that tells me I did the right thing. My father got laid off recently and has been out of work for about 4 months, I've been trying to convince him to move to the East Coast. He could make a LOT of money with his skillset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:17 AM

94 posts, read 174,172 times
I moved out west after my late husband died.

We were looking out here and back east on the coast for his future retirement which never happened due to his cancer and death.

I went ahead with my move as we had discussed before and after his cancer discovery. I left his home state in the Great Lakes region where we built a house and lived in for over 30 years after his USN time - Nam era. He died in the house that we built back there.

I called it HIS home state since I was born in NY and raised in MD. It was my home but not my HOME state.

I remarried a MT born and raised man out here in MT several years after my late husband died.

I am retired and my husband will retire in the future. He could retire now if he wanted to do this too.

So would I move again? Yes.

I would live here part time and part time back on the East Coast. Or I would just move back to the East Coast but it most likely will not be in NY or MD. I am not sure exactly now but I am looking at property all over again.

My older brother still lives in Maryland. My older sister lives in Florida but I would not move there. My MT husband said that he would NEVER move to FL or to some other super hot states! My late husband said that he would never move to FL and to some other southern states due to the heat. Both of those men and I could and can take the cold better than the heat.

Cate

Old 11-06-2015, 11:34 AM

698 posts, read 2,470,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
I was born and raised until the age of sixteen in San Diego. Then we moved to Denver, where I lived for 43 years. My husband and I recently moved to southeast Kansas, which is a pretty big shock coming from Denver.

When I was younger and raising kids, I enjoyed living in the city, but I was always a closet "country girl" at heart. Once the kids grew up and moved on with their lives, I was ready to get out of the city. Too congested, dirty, noisy and expensive. Life here is so much calmer, quieter, and at a more relaxed pace. It's nice to breathe the fresh air instead of exhaust, and I am so enjoying seeing farms and ranches instead of urban sprawl!
Just curious. How did you decide to pick Kansas?

I too am a closet "country girl." Where I live is far more country than where I used to live but somehow not country enough. Actually it is suburbia albeit this area's version of suburbia!

That isn't really a coincidence because I planned it that way. I thought making such a switch from one setting to another would be too much of a culture shock for our family so when moving from state to state I thought we should make more of a parallel move from suburbia to suburbia and then have time to decide if true country living would suit us.

I do think it would suit me, with limits. I definitely would never be able to live 50 -60 miles outside of a larger city.

How did you experience that culture shock? Did you feel like a fish out of water? How long did that last?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM

107 posts, read 99,046 times
My family is about to make a move of a life time. my whole family is here in CT and my husbands is in FL. we choose NC. we visited a few time's and liked what we saw. Ct is all I know but I can not go through another winter like last year and I can't really afford to stay because it is not cheap to live here. so after our son graduates high school and as long as our home sells we are out of here. I have to say I'm both excited and scared to death but I know in my heart this is the right thing for my family. my husband can keep his job and live anywhere he want's and I will find another job in my field. our son also want's to got to collage in the town we will be living in. everything seem's to be in line with what we want to do. financially it will be so much better. I'm not one for the beach so I don't mind being 2 hrs away. I know it will be cold down there but I will not have to worry about shoveling 10 inches of snow every other day from Dec to late march.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:09 AM

11,383 posts, read 7,823,499 times
Yes, I lived in North Jersey and wanted to move to Florida. I saved up so I would have 2 years rent in case anything happened. I got a tow hitch put on my car, rented a tow trailer, a small one was the biggest my car would tow, I think it was 5x8 feet. I put everything I had in it, not any big pieces of furniture but a few things that I could move by myself. I put everything into storage at Public Storage. Rented a motel studio for a week, which sucked because they didn't have TV or wifi. Then within that week I found an apartment and luckily for me it was mostly furnished, the lady who was evicted left her old but useful furniture, mainly a couch, TV hutch and a bed. Stayed there for 2 years. Now 7 years later I am looking to buy my first home. I love south Florida, hate the cold, snow and ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or