U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,302,027 times

Advertisements

wow....in that case, having a job lined up is not as important....some may disagree but at 26 -- having that kind of money saved up....sounds like you deserve to start having a little more fun in life...not that I am encouraging you to waste it all and not think this through....but I think you will be okay.

Shadow....I left with less in my pocket, and some debt and lived in europe...found a job right away, but still managed to rack up some debt. I'd do it again...you will be fine too. But of course I still think its wise to set up a job ahead of time if you can.

Since I graduated from college, getting a job ahead of time has been quite easy, if I am somewhat flexible about location...a little harder if you have a specific location in mind..but if you have a somewhat specialized field like I do....its really quite easy.

good luck to you both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM

562 posts, read 1,970,487 times
I'm not specialized so it is hard to set up a job ahead of time, I've tried. My plan is to go to college in Washington.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:51 PM

154 posts, read 642,168 times
the first 2 pages are entirely made up of "i moved to FL" responses... some of the people are so ignorant they couldn't even spell the name of the state right. please, go back to where you came from and leave FL alone! there are 49 other states to choose from, be original! at least i know none of you followers will be heading to my hometown, since it's not near the beach, doesn't rely on palm trees, the main industry is farming/agriculture, and people actually talk with southern accents.

but, i digress... sorry i went off on a tangent, it's just disheartening to always see that everytime i come here.

that said... i'm only 18 years old... i'm originally from a farming town east of tampa, FL and i've also lived in MA, IN & CT (IN & CT on my own for college) and hopefully PA in the fall... what can i say, i'm a geography major... life is too short to stay in one place so i definitely can relate to this thread already!!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM

154 posts, read 840,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
the first 2 pages are entirely made up of "i moved to FL" responses... some of the people are so ignorant they couldn't even spell the name of the state right. please, go back to where you came from and leave FL alone! there are 49 other states to choose from, be original! at least i know none of you followers will be heading to my hometown, since it's not near the beach, doesn't rely on palm trees, the main industry is farming/agriculture, and people actually talk with southern accents.

but, i digress... sorry i went off on a tangent, it's just disheartening to always see that everytime i come here.

that said... i'm only 18 years old... i'm originally from a farming town east of tampa, FL and i've also lived in MA, IN & CT (IN & CT on my own for college) and hopefully PA in the fall... what can i say, i'm a geography major... life is too short to stay in one place so i definitely can relate to this thread already!!
I really cannot figure out why you bothered to respond to this thread. What difference does it make to you if people move to Florida. It is not YOUR state. There are 49 other states that you are ok with people moving to, but not the one that you live in?

I am also confused as to what right you have to tell anybody where they should not live when you yourself have ventured to other states and experienced living in them. Why is it that you only have the right to do this.

Another thing, if it is disheartening to read posts like this one every time that you visit the forum there is a really easy solution DON'T READ THEM. Nobody needs you visiting the forums to offer your negative input.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:50 PM

154 posts, read 642,168 times
well then i apologize, that wasn't my intention at all. i know i was going off on a tangent, and i said so.

and i'm not the only person originally from FL that feels this way. it's just surprising to open up a thread like this and see one state mentioned over and over and over again in the first 2 pages, some of which can't even spell the name correctly. i just wish people weren't so lured in by "beaches, palm trees, warm weather" and took the chance to look elsewhere before they drive up prices for everything, making it extremely hard for those of us who are actually FROM there and were forced to move away against our will (i was only 13 years old) to ever return... you can't ever see where i'm coming from and what this situation is like, so i understand.

that being said, sorry if i veered anything off course. go ahead with the regular topic.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:13 AM

121 posts, read 469,165 times
Quote:
well then i apologize, that wasn't my intention at all. i know i was going off on a tangent, and i said so.

and i'm not the only person originally from FL that feels this way. it's just surprising to open up a thread like this and see one state mentioned over and over and over again in the first 2 pages, some of which can't even spell the name correctly. i just wish people weren't so lured in by "beaches, palm trees, warm weather" and took the chance to look elsewhere before they drive up prices for everything, making it extremely hard for those of us who are actually FROM there and were forced to move away against our will (i was only 13 years old) to ever return... you can't ever see where i'm coming from and what this situation is like, so i understand.

that being said, sorry if i veered anything off course. go ahead with the regular topic.
What I find ironic is that over on the Maine thread, it's the opposite. SO many people wanting to relocate from Florida...and I'm one of them!

Whatever reservations you have about all these people relocating here, I suppose I'm the opposite. I have reservations about the people already here, lol. Not just the people, but the atmosphere, the buildings...it's all just getting to be...

...too much.

You're east of Tampa, well I'm in Tampa. It's so crowded here my 2 mile commute to work is causing me about $300 per year in break repair due to the harsh life of stop/go/stop/go/stop/go.

To be fair, there really are certain places in Florida where people are rightfully lured by the beaches, the palm trees, etc. And for the most part, the job market here is still booming, and the nightlife exists for those who want one.

Turning this back to the original thread...

Yes, I will be one. Starting in January of next year I'll be job hunting and apartment hunting. I plan to sell everything off except for what I can fit in my car, and go. I grew up in small-town PA, lived there most of my life, but wanted a change. So I came here to Florida, partly because of the job market but also because I have family here. It only took me about 2 years to realize...it wasn't for me.

I've been here a total of 6 years now. Four of those years have been spent complaining about my surroundings and wishing I were somewhere else. That's my fault, I know. So I finally decided to STOP griping and feeling bad about where I am and do something about it. So that would be my advice to people. If you're really unhappy where you are, then get out. Really - the threads on this post are so inspiring! It obviously can be done, so do it!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:49 AM

151 posts, read 742,772 times
Born and raised in Texas. Worked 5 years in Dallas after graduating college, then decided to take a very good offer in Pa. I lived in Lancaster for 3 years. I had no family, friends, or relatives within a 1000 miles of Pa. But it turned out for the best. It was a great experience and now (living in Atlanta) I miss Lancaster Pa as much as I do Dallas Tx.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:33 AM

154 posts, read 840,252 times
Quote:

I realize you were going off on a tangent. I was just a little irritated by what you were saying.

I can relate to opening up a thread and reading the same thing about your state over and over again, I am from California. Everybody whines that too many people are moving to California and "messing" everything up. I can also relate to the feeling that people moving in are driving up prices for natives of the state and making those natives feel like they have to get out to afford a life. A home in CA costs half a million dollars in the suburbs of the suburbs where the "big city" is nearly 70 miles away. This is for an ok house too, not a fantastic house.

It just happens that you and I both grew up in an area that people are drawn to. It just happens that these desirable areas come at a high price. We just have to find a way to make it work and be happy with it, or move on.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,351,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
wow! Alot of people moved to Florida. everyone keeps skipping over Kentucky
I deliver there 3-4 times a week; does THAT count? Anyway, Back on topic; As the Son of a Sailor, I moved up and down the East Coast as a kid (ME, MD, VA, FL) and went to 12 different schools until I graduated high school. The down side was that making friends was difficult when I was young. The up side was that I got a real addiction for travel and seeing new things. I think kids who move frequently learn to be more adaptable. I moved frequently in the military, as well. Packing up and moving is second nature to the Lovely Woman and I. However, we've finally put down permanent roots and will stay here forever (unless we can ever afford a home in Tuscany...)

Old 05-25-2007, 01:57 PM

18 posts, read 76,254 times
Smile From Michigan to Arizona

I was born in Michigan, went to college, and had a job i really loved. Oddly it was all in the same town. For me it was a great experience, I had a huge extended family, alot of friends, and was well known. But with all that in mind it was also not so great at times. People always are were up in your business, family (although I love them), can add to much drama to your life. And things at work changed from when I started. In early 2003 I sold my house, and decided at that point it was time to try something new. We moved out west & stayed in Las Vegas w/ my mother in law. It was a little stressful finding a job at first, but I found a great opportunity in Arizona for a career, and housing was reasonable. So we moved, and things ended up being dramatic. All within my 1st year in AZ, I had a new job, new baby & a 3 yr old, and my wife tragically passed away. Everyone I knew & loved was in Michigan (except my mother in law in Vegas). After the funeral I struggled whether or not I should go back to Michigan w/my 2 kids, but I decided I would wait 6 mos before I would make that decision. I am glad I did because things are great for my family, and Michigans economy is terrible. I miss my friends, and family, the four seasons, & lakes..... but living somewhere new was like starting a new chapter of my life, and I've matured so much since moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or