U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,125,263 times

Advertisements

I've lived in New Jersey my whole life. I've never lived more than an hour from my home town, but I've wanted to get out of here since I was 16. First I let myself be talked out of leaving because "it's smarter to stay here and finish school". Then it was "Well- you won't get a job without a masters degree. Stay here and do that first." Then I met someone and got married. Now, I'm divorced, have degrees and credentials out the butt, have no kids, and not only can't I afford anything around here, but I don't really want to, either. It's just time to go. So in July, it's job/apartment hunting in Tucson, and in October (or sooner depending), it's time to pack up the car and go. I can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 04:47 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,747,070 times
Great topic! How did I miss this?

YES! change is...invigorating. I've been in my current location for ~7 years and I am itching to move.

How's that for a 7-year Itch???

Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,211 times
9 months ago when I got married my journey started. I left everything in CT and moved temporarily to Dorado, PR. What a beauitiful city, but not home and not where my husband wanted to stay working. His goal has been to get a job with the federal govt, so he did and our journey keeps on. Now we are rellocating to Arizona. I loved the northeast, loved the 3 minute ride to the beach in PR and now Im working real hard to imagine life in Arizona. I have plenty of faith, I have a wonderful husband who is my rock but no clue of how to keep smiling with all this transition. I know for many people Tucson and Pheonix is very beautiful, but my husband unfortunately is being stationed in a remote little city. The things one does for love...Can't you tell I love him?

Old 05-26-2007, 09:18 AM

378 posts, read 1,103,214 times
My partner and I lived first in the Bay Area, moved to the northern CA coast, then to Hawaii, onward to Las Vegas (Ye Gods.. What were we thinking of?), next to Prescott AZ (town's okay, but drive down off that mountain and you only have Phoenix...Yuck), then on to Southern CA (smogsmogsmogtarffictraffictraffic), thence to Florida (loved it, but got SO-O-O-O expensive insurance-wise), now we're in Georgia.(What can I say? It's Georgia.) We've really enjoyed the adventures of moving around, but think we're getting a bit old to pursue the golden carrot much further. (Hmmm... Last evening my partner walked into the computer area and said, "Let's see what's going on in NC... Bring up Realtor.com...)

Here we go again....

Old 05-27-2007, 08:17 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,212,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
Sort of. I mostly lived in NJ/PA most of my life and had family also in FL but while driving back and forth,in between I discovered the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA. I tried lining up a place there but I didn't have a job ahead of time or any contacts so I basically packed up my truck and went looking for a place and luckily was able to land a room and from there I lived there for almost 2 years. I guess I got stupid and became somewhat homesick if you can believe that. Looking back,coming back north was probably the biggest mistake of my life so far.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:51 AM

28 posts, read 115,459 times
This is a great thread.
I am 35 and have lived in Boston my whole life. My husband just got an opportunity within his company, to relocate to Arizona, so we are moving in June. I am an absolute wreck. We have an infant and my Mother is devastated that I am taking him so far from her. It's the hardest choice I have ever had to make. The houses are way more affordable, I won't miss the cold and it should be fun to see a new part of the country.
I hope I am making the right decision, but I guess we can always come back in a few years if I really don't like it.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:53 AM

612 posts, read 2,545,298 times
Yup, another one that moved to Florida in '97 with $300 in my pocket. Thank goodness I started buying houses at that point in my life!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 AM

104 posts, read 642,191 times
Yes...about 15 years ago left the mild climate of So Cal and we moved to Missouri. Talk about a climate-shock for me! DH is from MO so it was easy for him to make the transition. But my first winter in MO was mind boggling to say the least. All the clothes I had were useless during the winter, plus having to deal with the dreaded ice, and learning to drive on it, and on the snow. Getting around was a real chore. Learning how to prepare for winter was an eye opener as well.

We moved to a very small town north of Springfield, MO, and the attitudes of the people were hard for me to accept. Mainly because they are very clannish and outsiders are only wanted for the money they can spend in town. Being part of the bible-belt, I expected the citizens to be very warm and friendly...I was sure surprised to find out that that was not the case at all. And of course I knew the job market would be terrible; but there again, no matter how qualified you are for a position, unless you are part of the "clique", you haven't a snow ball's chance in hell of getting hired.

I regretted the move within the first week of living there. But, I would not move back to CA! No thanks. We left the small town in MO and moved to the suburbs of Kansas City. Winters are no better, but at least one can get a good paying job and the citizens of the entire KC Metro Area are the friendliest people I ever met.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:32 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,207,530 times
We moved to Texas 2.5 years ago to retire on a lake from California. We can't wait to move back to Ca. Texas is not our cup of tea. But all and all it has been a great learning lesson and that is priceless. We will never leave California again (once we get back there).

Old 05-28-2007, 07:51 PM

556 posts, read 1,938,358 times
Smile Yes

I moved to WA when my first marriage ended. My maternal grandmother had just passed away, and I was totally devastated.

Some years later, I met my current husband. He is wonderful, but we absolutely do not agree on living up here in WA. He loves it and wants to stay here, but all my family lives in the South, and I am just miserable. We have a great marriage in all respects except we cannot agree on where to live. Fortunately, I think he finally realizes that we cannot live up here forever; it is just not financially responsible, not to mention I will be miserable.

The question of course now is where can we move to? He has never lived anywhere but WA, and I have lived in WA, OR, CA, SC, GA, and FL. I miss the "visiting" that Southern folks do. Doesn't happen up here in WA. Why folks come to Mama and Daddy's house when they're not even home and just have a seat and wait for them. I know, that's really old school, but that's what I miss. And I miss going to church on Sundays. And I miss folks taking their time to talk with you. And, lordy, lordy, how I miss the food!

Anyway, I love my sweet husband, and I have faith in the Good Master, so I reckon everything will work out the way it's meant to. I have faith; that's the only thing you can always count on 100% of the time.

Have a nice evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or