Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 02:07 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times

Advertisements

you could be on to something. Kudos to you for speaking up. I love that!
And here I was looking forward to growing old so I could be like Sophia on Golden Girls and say whatever I please
I'm just kidding of course. I had not noticed a specific age group though from my hometown who spoke in negative terms when I up and left. Seemed to be a range of ages. Some were probably people who actually DO like the area and thats' their right, eh? But I didn't need them telling me I should like the area too just because they do.
Oh and BTW, these are the same people that have been really crabby and in a bad mood all summer when I speak with them because they are so darn hot and tired of the heat! It's been in the 50's all summer where I live.............guess I should not rub that in their faces when we speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Something I've noticed in my old friends lately, (age 60's) is that they say negative or slightly insutling things to me now that they never would have a few years ago. I wonder, as people age--even in their 60's, if they somehow lose that filter that tells them to keep those thoughts to themselves. I've been hurt a number of times by good friends who are houseguests in my home by the remarks that they make. I've finally decided to just say, "Well, that was a mean thing to say!" Or "What did you mean by that?" Or even, "In my own home, I don't accept those type of statements." One time we had dear friends come stay with us a week. They had just inherited some money and were quite heady about it. They were so insulting the whole time they stayed with us. Since they had been such good friends, we were mystified and not sure how to respond. I remember singing, "Thank God and Delta, they're gone" after we had dropped them off at the airport for their flight home!!! It's hard when old friends let you down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 02:09 PM

306 posts, read 1,161,622 times
I sold my condo, quit my job, sold everything I owned except 10 boxes and 2 suitcases and move to England to marry my husband. Does that count? I say, you only live once and should take calculated risks in life. Life is to short to always play it safe.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,417 times
excellent thread!

Yes, I did just that, I took a leap of faith and moved across the country with my 3 kids. I left everything behind, family, job, home,...everything.

It has been 6 years since my leap. And I find myself here at this website trying to get advice on dealing with my home sickness and survivial without family. lol.

Its tough. No regrets though. I just think in the near future, I will be wanting to move closer to home again.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:51 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
I moved from TX in '00 to NM and in May of 09 we will be moving to NOVA, leaving behind our 24 and 21 yr old. I am scared to death but will cope just like always. We have lived 3 different place in NM so I am not a stranger to moving. Have no desire to go back to my hometown. I will just go and make the best of it, what else can you do? This has all been for promotions in my husbands job.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,807,206 times
[quote=anitajas;4404266]We have had so many people ask us "why would you want to move to NC" when they have never been there (or to the Southeast for that matter). We have been lectured about humitity, snow, the KKK, bugs and on and on and on... it is sad to me that people look at the negative instead of just being happy for us. I think you said it well in your post... that it is threatening on some level, etc...quote]

I had the same thing happen to me when I told friends and acquaintances that I was moving to South Carolina from Chicago, and I'm still getting it, even though I've been here almost 8 months and tell everyone how happy I am here. I think they're either jealous or frustrated that they can't bring themselves to make such a daring leap. While I'm listening to their crap, I just look out the window at the beauty surrounding me and smile.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:53 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Thought I posted to this thread but maybe another similar one floating around.

Moved to CA in 1983 from OH (small boring city) and only knew one person, the guy I was seeing whom I met in OH but was already living in CA. That fiasco lasted all of six months and I was literally on my own at the age of 21. NEVER even entered my mind to go back home and it wasn't easy for about two years. Had been in CA 18 years and decided to move somewhere else, so decided on Atlanta. Also moved there sight unseen. Was a bad move since it was 9 months after 9/11, the economy was bad and it was just a negative experience. After two years I wanted out so I moved back to CA with no job and an offer from a friend to stay with her. Have gotten back on track everything is wonderful but I don't want to settle here for the rest of my life. So after being back for four yrs I am moving to TX and hope that will be it for me but if not I will keep it moving.
I wouldn't call it sight unseen since I have visited the area (Dallas) and have a few friends there already. But just because they like it doesn't mean I will too. I believe the saying that some people have roots and some have wings. I am definitely the latter of the two. I am fortunate to not have to worry about family or kids (zero family in CA, zero kids period).

I also learned from my mistakes when I moved to GA. I am better prepared and doing more research so I know it will be a better experience for me.

Also I find that most people really admire me for my strength and independence and will say so. Those that are saying negative things secretly feel that way but don't want to say it. I find that the ones that are making negative comments are usually women I know that are insecure, afraid of being alone or thinking on their own.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:17 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Roots or Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I believe the saying that some people have roots and some have wings.
What a great quote!!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:13 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
What a great quote!!

I can't take credit but thanks. I stole it from another post on here somewhere .

Old 08-11-2008, 05:46 AM

657 posts, read 1,787,844 times
i cant wait to go on this adventure! our plan is to move to florida from CT. cant wait.. sounds like alot of people here have moved to florida too..
i get alot of negetive people telling me im crazy, but the desire is much to strong for me and i cant wait. my husband and kids are excited too. we will end up there once we sell our house. could be days or years.. so hard to take. frustrated here..
we will have to find a house and jobs but we arent worried. just seems like its time. WE HATE WINTER!!! its on its way.. get me outta here...

anyway. cant wait to uproot and sprout wings!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 AM

656 posts, read 1,309,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkermoo View Post
I was wondering if anybody else has ever walked away from their life and took a leap of faith to try moving to a different state. Specifically I mean moving away from somewhere where you had a good job, your family was there, you spent your entire life there without ever living anywhere else.

What was your experience? Do you regret it? Did you end up moving back home? Would you do it again and why? Where did you move from and to?
YES we did this!! our kids were young at the time and it was a way better area for them. We did end up moving back because we thought that the kids needed their extended family and also because in the small town we lived in there was not a decent church for us.

And we regret it. the memories that my kids have from the time living there is irreplaceable and so... we are gonna move back. this time though we will live in a city that is a bit bigger. but we are really excited about it. our kids want to raise their kids anywhere but here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues