U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,035,708 times

Advertisements

I have been looking around for a new job for some time due to dissatisfaction with my current one. While looking, I found and applied for a position I felt I would like which is based out of St Petersburg FL.

Well, they have given me an offer for the position.

My initial reaction was excitement and energy, but now, I feel I am in full panic mode. Although I do want a new job, it seems like I am going to be giving up an awful lot to take it.

I am 32, and have lived in Western NY my whole life. I have lots of family and friends locally, enjoy a lot of local activities and am very familiar with the area. I dislike the winter weather to a large degree, but also really enjoy the cooler summers compared to most areas. I am also concerned with the condition of the state. The tax burden is already the highest in the nation and rising and there seems little hope for much growth.

I am just finding myself to be very conflicted as to whether this is a good idea or not. I know there is initial anxiety and fear of the unknown, and in this move there would be plenty. I am not very familiar with where I am going, I have not done the job I would be taking (although I am very familiar with a lot of the knowledge that it requires). I obviously don't know anyone there and would be, more or less, on my own until I built up a social network. Even if I do enjoy the job, and come to appreciate the area, I am still not sure I really want to seperate from those I know. I am close to my family, and enjoy the company of my friends, and am just not sure that a career move is really worth minimizing so many relationships to occasional visits and electronic communications.

I am also unsure at how much I will really enjoy the job compared to the one I have. It is a little difficult to say without working it. I feel that I would enjoy the job, but I also would not really say it is my dream job either.

I am really just looking for some independent opinions here. I honestly cannot rationalize out what would be best at this stage. I am just about to the point of no return and must make a final decision I will live with. Weighing what is most important is difficult. There is an adventurous excitement to taking it, and still a sorrow about what it would cost.

Wow, is this a tough choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
If you are single, no kids, not a homeowner, what have you to lose? Western New York is so depressing, I was there last week as my family is from Cheektowaga and Dunkirk. Cold, gray, ugly, depressing, dirty, stagnant and nothing but old people.

Other things to think about, if you took the job and lost it, is there a Plan B there in Florida? Still, if you rent there, you are free.

Regardless of the relocation, is the job career enhancing? Are you getting valuable experience, something complementary? Are the salary and benefits an improvement? Is the location good - are there things to do for you at this point in your life?

You can make new friends.

Buffalo + NO JOBS = BYE

Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,294,185 times
It might be scary to move somewhere else, but it's also a refreshing test of character.

Don't you want to find out that you have what it takes to step outside your comfort zone?

Do you really want to stay in one place your entire life because it's all you've ever known?

Other people in your life will eventually move on and you could be left in NY not knowing anyone.

I'll give you a hint: move to a cool tourist place and everyone will come visit you. St. Petersburg is one of those places.

This is one of those opportunities you could regret not trying.

You can always move back to NY. You can't always move to St Petersburgh FL.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM

5,326 posts, read 11,047,644 times
What exactly does the offer include ?

What do you have now, vs. what will you get ?

Something to think about.
If you like your job, no reason to move, and the money does not really count ..
If you hate your job ......

I do not need specifics, but you need to make a list *pro vs. con*.

Make it a family decision, get on your knees and pray about it if you are religious.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:42 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,035,708 times
Thanks for the encouragement and questions guys.

I have been looking because I would like to have a job which I enjoy more. I am extremely capable in my current position, highly respected by management, and have had success in gaining promotion and special awards. I just do not really enjoy it too much. It's a somewhat stale. Lots of technical information and knowledge to know, but the application of it is repetitive.

This job will be somewhat different, and somewhat the same. I will deal directly with different people than I do now, outside people instead of internal. However, I will still be doing somewhat similar functions too, and I suspect in time it too will get stale when the newness rubs off. It could lead to promotion into another job I think I may be good at and enjoy, but that is certainly not a given, nor would it be necessary for me to take this job to get that one. I can step to it from my present position.

As far as pay, it's less, by a small amount. There is no relocation pay being offered, or bonus. Basically, all costs born by me.

If I were to make a few items into a list.

Pro:
New duties will keep me more enguaged and interested
Potential to enjoy more than present position
Possible stepping stone to position I am targeting
Get to experience new area with better climate, better future prospects

Cons:
Lower pay, and lower future earning potential without promotion compared to keeping present position
no relocation paid, so it would cost thousands out of pocket
I Could step to the position I am targeting as one I would like in the future from my present position
Leave behind relationships I have built and enjoy

Old 01-11-2010, 04:21 PM

13,818 posts, read 14,650,897 times
I would go for the adventure of a new place. look at it as a 5 year plan, it does not have to be for the rest of your life. being as young as you are now is the time to explore the different possibilities. you say you have been dissatisfied for a long time. staying will not relieve that burden.
as far as the pay it sounds like it really is not that much different but in florida you would be able to rent/buy a whole lot more house than you can in new york.
your friends and family will visit florida, funny how when you live in a warm place how you seem to see people more at the new local than the old.
will you always wonder what if, if you don't take the job?
I find meeting new people finding your way around a new area very exciting. the move does not have to be for ever. you can always go home if you find in a few years it is not to your liking. you may like it so well that you stay for a decade or more and consider it to be more of a home than where you are from.
is the town in florida enough of a city that you have something to do and some culture? I wouldn't want to move to a place that had nothing to offer even if it was warm, but Miami or some other big city would be great.
if you go make the move as cheap as possible. sell your stuff, store it, get a small place to start and go for it.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:21 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
To me it would be a total no-brainer - to ditch the depressing, high-tax, low freedom Rust Belt, and head out for Sunny Florida - I-95 awaits your wheels.

Remember, you are not responsible for mistakes your friends and family make in picking out a place to live!

I mean, from where I am at - a *really good* offer from Florida might be worth considering, but I wouldn't even talk to a potential employer in the People's Republic of New Yawk. I mean - climate - epic fail - tax structure - epic fail - gun laws - epic fail - that's 3 epic fails off the top of my head.

In Florida if you can ride out the hurricanes, nothing else to worry about.

Beyond that - in this economy, it's good to have a job anyway. It would be beyond nuts to turn down an advancement opportunity!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:58 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,353,472 times
If you are financially able to make the move without compromising your savings all that much, why not go for it. IF the move would harm you financially.......think very carefully. From someone who has relocated twice (with companies picking up relocation cost) it is a very hard first year if you are family oriented. Other than that I would give my eye teeth to have my hubby get a job offer in sunny FL! I lived in FL when I was much younger and it is a very friendly state and it will not take you long to make new friends and reap the rewards of no snow Good luck in your decision making.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,075,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement and questions guys.

I have been looking because I would like to have a job which I enjoy more. I am extremely capable in my current position, highly respected by management, and have had success in gaining promotion and special awards. I just do not really enjoy it too much. It's a somewhat stale. Lots of technical information and knowledge to know, but the application of it is repetitive.

This job will be somewhat different, and somewhat the same. I will deal directly with different people than I do now, outside people instead of internal. However, I will still be doing somewhat similar functions too, and I suspect in time it too will get stale when the newness rubs off. It could lead to promotion into another job I think I may be good at and enjoy, but that is certainly not a given, nor would it be necessary for me to take this job to get that one. I can step to it from my present position.

As far as pay, it's less, by a small amount. There is no relocation pay being offered, or bonus. Basically, all costs born by me.

If I were to make a few items into a list.

Pro:
New duties will keep me more enguaged and interested
Potential to enjoy more than present position
Possible stepping stone to position I am targeting
Get to experience new area with better climate, better future prospects

Cons:
Lower pay, and lower future earning potential without promotion compared to keeping present position
no relocation paid, so it would cost thousands out of pocket
I Could step to the position I am targeting as one I would like in the future from my present position
Leave behind relationships I have built and enjoy
Go for it!!!! I myself was born in the Midwest (cold dark and depressing) moved to Louisiana for college (hot and humid) and then to Texas ( just plain hot) for a job. Many years later moved to northern Tennessee ( beautiful land but strange errie feel to the place) then back to Indiana/Illnois to care for my mother (which the entire region is in a deep depression.) After her death I went to visit my brother in Maryland/ Virginia to see if I would like to live there but the cost of living was crazy in my opinion. Needless to say I came back to Texas and have no regrets.
That being said, the many experinces provided me the opportunity to meet different people,make new friends, explore various jobs and recreational activites I would have never would have attempted, helped me become flexible and test my abilities and see my weaknesses. That is what life is all about...There is a whole other world to see out there...again GO FOR IT! You can always move there, get a short term lease for housing with it furnished and give it a year or two. That will give your family and friends an alternate place to visit. Who knows, they may end up moving your direction after they see the place and how you are doing.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,945,655 times
I'm sure you could guess what I'd pick......

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues