Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,910 times

Advertisements

So, I'm being employed by the Government as a Civilian. I'm currently located just outside of Boston, and I'm being moved to Texas. Now, they will handle all of the house hold goods move, but everything else is on my plate to cover. Also, after the items have been picked up from my current residence, they will not be delivered for 1-3 weeks.

My first issue -

I've never been to Texas, and I don't have the means nor the time to fly out ahead of time to pick out a house or apartment to rent. We've been trying to work with a few realtors to narrow down our housing area and type, but it's becoming very stressful for myself and my wife.

My second issue -

I will be expected to wear a suit and be cleanly dressed each day for work. As my hosuehold goods will not be there for 3 weeks, I'm going to be moving all of my clothing, etc. in our SUV. However, living temporarily out of a hotel for 3 weeks sounds very daunting.

My third issue -

I don't have thousands of dollars in the bank to live on. The time between my last day at my job, and my first day at work needs to be minimized, so that I'm not out of work without pay. However, the drive is a minimum three days, along with any other issues that arise.

My fourth issue -

I'm going crazy of the unknown. I've swapped jobs a few times, and I'm 100% confident in handling the new position, I'm just scared about moving my wife and 2 young girls. I'm scared they'll be living in a hotel for weeks on end. Just looking for some ideas/reassurance.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:26 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
I would get online and at least line up a few rental options to look at your first day. You can sleep on an air mattress until stuff shows up. Bring just what you will need for work.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,174 times
Verio - I live in San Antonio - and there are many apartment complexes that offer Corporate Apartments for folks just like you and your family, where the apartment is fully furnished, down to towels and dishes - maybe your realtor can help you get situated in one of these near your workplace? That would keep you out of a hotel environment and give your family a chance to feel a bit more 'at home' while you await your furniture and permanent address.

You might consider sending your clothing and other necessary items via UPS ground, so that your space in the SUV isn't compromised for the 3 day trip here.

We moved from Texas to Delaware with 2 small children, several pets, and lots of personal effects - then 2 years later - reversed the move and returned to Texas. Good luck on your move - try not to anticipate all 'bad' and embrace your new job and city as an adventure.

Kids adjust pretty easily as long as Mom and Dad are presenting a SAFE front that brings confidence into the home.

The financial strain of a move - even when backed by a job - can be stressful - my best advice is to watch every dollar leaving your hands as a result of the move and try not to let many leave that can be avoided. Once you are settled, that should line out as well. Safe travels on your journey here by car - enjoy that part too - make it fun - stop often at parks and places with jungle gyms where your kids can enjoy some leg-time during the stop. Gather some games that can be played in the car - and learn some that the whole family can enjoy - it will make time pass quicker!

Adding - if you are a lifer from the NE, Texas will likely be a much different experience for you and your family - but my husband, says "he wasn't born in Texas, but he got here as fast as he could" ;o) I hope you like San Antonio as much as we do - the city has so much to offer - and you can start learning about it by reading our local online news sites:
www.mysa.com
www.ksat.com
www.woai.com

Many locals blog about living in SA on mysa.com

Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
However, living temporarily out of a hotel for 3 weeks sounds very daunting.
I suggest finding a Marriott Residence Inn or Towne Place Suites. They have a full kitchen,refrigerator and on site laundry facilities. It is more like staying in an apartment with maid service than a hotel. We stayed at a Residence Inn for over three weeks when moving from Atlanta to the NYC area a few years ago and it was an excellent experience.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
My second issue -

I will be expected to wear a suit and be cleanly dressed each day for work. As my hosuehold goods will not be there for 3 weeks, I'm going to be moving all of my clothing, etc. in our SUV. However, living temporarily out of a hotel for 3 weeks sounds very daunting.
You don't need to move ALL of your clothing in the SUV. Just pack one week's worth of clothes. Do laundry while you're down there. I'd take 2 or 3 suits, 5 dress shirts, dress shoes, two pair of jeans, a pair of khakis, 5 casual shirts, a jacket, etc. That's not all of your clothes. Pack an Iron and hangers. Hotels have places to hang clothes and drawers. Everyone else in your family can live out of their suit cases.

Quote:
My third issue -

I don't have thousands of dollars in the bank to live on. The time between my last day at my job, and my first day at work needs to be minimized, so that I'm not out of work without pay. However, the drive is a minimum three days, along with any other issues that arise.
Make up for it by saving money by getting cheap hotels and eating cheaply. Pack a cooler in the SUV filled with snacks, milk, drinks, lunch meats for sandwiches, etc. Take bowls and spoons for cereal in the mornings. Live on sandwiches. It won't kill you. When you get to Texas, find a cheap hotel with a kitchen. Then you can have cooked meals, but still keep your expenses down by eating cheap.

Quote:
My fourth issue -

I'm going crazy of the unknown. I've swapped jobs a few times, and I'm 100% confident in handling the new position, I'm just scared about moving my wife and 2 young girls. I'm scared they'll be living in a hotel for weeks on end. Just looking for some ideas/reassurance.
When I was little, we lived in a hotel for months on end every time my father transferred. They weren't looking to rent. We were always waiting for the closing on a sale or the end of construction. Big tip: get a cheap hotel with a pool so your wife will be able to entertain the children for free. All I remember is we had a lot of fun!

You're far better off spending an extra week in a hotel than renting the wrong house in the wrong neighborhood. Take your time.

Before the trip, go to the doctor and get yourself a short term prescription for Klonopin for you and your wife. I'm serious.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 AM

615 posts, read 1,522,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't need to move ALL of your clothing in the SUV. Just pack one week's worth of clothes. Do laundry while you're down there. I'd take 2 or 3 suits, 5 dress shirts, dress shoes, two pair of jeans, a pair of khakis, 5 casual shirts, a jacket, etc. That's not all of your clothes. Pack an Iron and hangers. Hotels have places to hang clothes and drawers. Everyone else in your family can live out of their suit cases.

Make up for it by saving money by getting cheap hotels and eating cheaply. Pack a cooler in the SUV filled with snacks, milk, drinks, lunch meats for sandwiches, etc. Take bowls and spoons for cereal in the mornings. Live on sandwiches. It won't kill you. When you get to Texas, find a cheap hotel with a kitchen. Then you can have cooked meals, but still keep your expenses down by eating cheap.

When I was little, we lived in a hotel for months on end every time my father transferred. They weren't looking to rent. We were always waiting for the closing on a sale or the end of construction. Big tip: get a cheap hotel with a pool so your wife will be able to entertain the children for free. All I remember is we had a lot of fun!

You're far better off spending an extra week in a hotel than renting the wrong house in the wrong neighborhood. Take your time.

Before the trip, go to the doctor and get yourself a short term prescription for Klonopin for you and your wife. I'm serious.
Thank you very much for this post. It's good sometimes to be able to use someone as a sounding board, other than your family or close friends who will always agree with your decision.

Thank you for the objective ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues