U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 AM

5,414 posts, read 5,385,749 times

Advertisements

What a great, motivational thread!

I am the type of person that has to have all my spices, fridge & freezers in alpha order. It is somewhat of an obsession. All food in the freezer are stored in Food Saver bags and dated. After the first of the year I said I was not going to enter the super market for 2 weeks and "shop" in our home. It worked, I saved $200 by using up and making meals from what we had.

This thread reminded me that I still have 4 hats on a shelf (my mom was alive then and she will be gone 23 yrs. the end of this month), they will be leaving right after I write this post, as well as 8 white lace curtains that "I might use some day". I de-clutter every day with paper and magazines. My husbands work decided their break room was going to be their "new" library, yesterday I donated magazines and books to their cause. I do try and stay on top of it on a daily basis not too be overwhelmed.

Back in the 70's/80's I too worked full time with a h and 3 kids, the crockpot would be put on in he morning for a home cooked meal, vacuuming done, bathroom wiped down, dog taken care of and then I would go to work. I found it harder back then keeping up with the clutter but with persistence got it done.

It would be fun to compare notes every week to see what we have accomplished in our feat for de-cluttering. For me, I am going to grab those hats and curtains and put them in a bage for the Salvation Army.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 AM

8,668 posts, read 20,280,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
Nobody has mentioned it but I think part of the problem has to do with people not having the time they did in years past. Most families I know are dual-income or single parent so there isn't a person staying home to take care of the house all day while the other makes the cash for bills. When my father was the only one who worked, his wife took care of the home (and us) while he was gone and when he came home exhausted he relaxed. When she went back to work, taking care of the home became less of a priority because now they were both coming home exhausted but relaxing wasn't an option because the things she used to spend a full day doing were now not getting done. We went from having a clean and tidy home to one that was clean but obviously lived in.
I totally agree with the time issue. It is so much easier to cope with your life when you don't have two people working full -time. Not that it can't be done, but yes, definitely more difficult, and we have gone from a society where many if not most women stayed home to now many, if not the majority work outside the home. Again, not that it can be done, but it does take a lot more planning and organization.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:53 PM

301 posts, read 988,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Very good post!

I agree 100%. While not scientific, I have no doubt that this is true for a multitude of reasons. I have a saying, "They call them possessions, not because we own them, but because they own us".

Here are my reasons;

1) Look at how many "self storage" places there are now. Big business! Folks have so much stuff they need to rent space for more!

2)Garages are bigger, but yet many folks have junk in them, not cars.

3) We now have 100+ channels and the internet telling us we NEED this or that. Way easier to find things to buy on the internet.

4) Instead of saving, folks now do WAY MORE impulse buying with credit cards, Buying what they really can't afford. We are into instant gratification.

5) More folks moving away from family means they cannot borrow from them. They got to have their own.

6) Way more kitchen appliances, exercise equipment now.

7) Bigger houses to fill.

8) Two income families think they need to spend all of what they make, no one saves anymore.

9) Way more "Keeping up with the Jones"

10) Guilty parents who are too busy to spend time with their kids buy them everything they want.

11) Many things not made as well as in years back, so they break, but we keep them to fix it someday, but also go buy another.

12) Too much stuff causes folks to not be able to find it, so they go buy another.

13) The principle of "Every luxury has inherent necessities". For instance, if you own a pool, you now need chlorine, etc. More stuff breeds more stuff.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. I am currently on a 2 year mission to get rid of most of our stuff. I have a huge house here in NY I'll be selling and moving to my other smaller home in Florida in about 2 years. That home is furnished, so I'll take very little with me. Already I am ahead of most people.

Folks drive by and later tell me, "I did not think you were home, I did not see any cars in the driveway" Sad. No, I keep them in the garage where they belong. Believe it or not, that is what the garage is for!

As a Professional firefighter, I've been in many houses where folks are just choking in clutter. They die because we cannot get life saving equipment to them in time because of the clutter. What a sad comment on our society.

For those who have clutter, let me tell you that getting rid of it is like being born again. Closet and drawers organized, etc. Basements clean, garages looking great.....it is the greatest feeling in the world. JUST DO IT! ONE SHELF, ONE DRAWER AT A TIME. It took years to get this bad, it will take awhile for it to get better. Committ to throwing away one or two extra bags of stuff a week.

Give stuff away. You would be amazed how much the IRS says your stuff is worth for deductible contributions. You will have thousands of dollars of deductions.......believe me.

Whatever you do, do it now. Don't leave it for your kids to have to do when you die. It's not their fault your place is like this...it is yours. It's not fair to them. Trust me, they do not want to deal with it.

Your stuff reflects how you spent or wasted your lifetime earnings. Pretty sad. Many folks would have done MUCH better if they lived within their means and invested their money instead of buying all this stuff. BUT..today can be the day you start a new life. Just do it.

Frank
One of the more brilliant postings I have seen in a long time.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,322,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Gee, being a dog owner, I think that someone who is having mental issues probably the last thing they should do is get rid of their dogs...my husband and I have some history of depression and our dogs about save us sometimes!
However having the crates and mess around isnt a good thing...on the other hand if the dogs are something else they just seem to collect and are not attached, dogs might be better off in another home, maybe..
Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-dog. But I think she's got 3 or 4 dogs too many for their situation. First the dogs create chaos and filth in her too cramped to even walk in home. And two of her dogs have huge behavioral problems including one that bites anyone that comes in. Has bit me several times. It seems sick she has all these dogs and buys toys that are made for human babies for these dogs yet her own children she abandoned when they were teenagers and now both are troubled and one has a severe alcohol and drug problem that came close to killing him recently. Yet she has nothing to do with the kids. She has little time for the dogs either so it just seems to me she collects dogs just like she collects other stuff that clutters her house.

There's a difference in having a companion animal and collecting animals if you know what I mean.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 AM

6,860 posts, read 6,942,389 times
Default Filling the Recycling Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
What a great, motivational thread!

I am the type of person that has to have all my spices, fridge & freezers in alpha order. It is somewhat of an obsession. All food in the freezer are stored in Food Saver bags and dated. After the first of the year I said I was not going to enter the super market for 2 weeks and "shop" in our home. It worked, I saved $200 by using up and making meals from what we had.

This thread reminded me that I still have 4 hats on a shelf (my mom was alive then and she will be gone 23 yrs. the end of this month), they will be leaving right after I write this post, as well as 8 white lace curtains that "I might use some day". I de-clutter every day with paper and magazines. My husbands work decided their break room was going to be their "new" library, yesterday I donated magazines and books to their cause. I do try and stay on top of it on a daily basis not too be overwhelmed.

Back in the 70's/80's I too worked full time with a h and 3 kids, the crockpot would be put on in he morning for a home cooked meal, vacuuming done, bathroom wiped down, dog taken care of and then I would go to work. I found it harder back then keeping up with the clutter but with persistence got it done.

It would be fun to compare notes every week to see what we have accomplished in our feat for de-cluttering. For me, I am going to grab those hats and curtains and put them in a bage for the Salvation Army.
I filled the recycling bin twice with old papers from my home office. (Plus all the stuff I shredded and put into the trash.) It made me feel so good...

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM

6,860 posts, read 6,942,389 times
Default Renting Dumpster

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
This is my worst problem too. Just keeping up with the paper is crazy. Objects are easy. Paper? Ugh! For some reason, to me, a pile of paper is symbolic of incompleteness, disorganization and failure.

Sometimes saying good-bye to things we love and hold such memories is difficult; much eased by someone who will take care and appreciate it the way you did. I've purchased several things from EBay and I always wrote the Sellers to let them know how much I loved the 'new' item.

I wish my parents had done this. They are in their 80s now, slow, and ill-health. And they have a big house full of crap that no one wants. We (my siblings and I) will end up disposing of everything in that house because they are incapable of doing it.
When my inlaws died, we rented a dumpster and filled it to the brim. They had saved EVERYTHING!! It made things a lot easier. We donated and gave the good stuff away.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM
dgz

800 posts, read 2,998,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
mtneer, I am guilty of the herbals and will join you in the toss out today!!

I have eliminated several crafts I used to play around with and have it down to my most three loved make that four ,loved things to do. Mosaics ,crochet in only a small way all stuff in one small vintage hamper. There used to be boxes and boxes of the stuff. Quilting and I hope to get two more quilts made and the rest of the stuff goes away. Beadwork. I will always keep my beads. And they tie into the crochet and mosaics. There is not all that much that is involved in that art form. I have one whole room dedicated to my crafts and we call it my studio. It is what makes me happy and helps remove stress from my life. We all need that.

Chris
I had to eliminate some of crafts/hobbies too and it made a big difference. I'm now down to photography and jewelry-making. One thing that has helped me with beads and jewelry parts storage... I bought several large plastic carrying cases/boxes at Lowes: the kind that have small storage compartments for nuts and screws. I was able to get everything into 7 cases and they're very easy to store.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:02 PM

One thing I am still holding onto is cassette tapes and VHS tapes. Is there any reason to hold onto these? Like are cassette tapes of popular rock bands of the 80's going to be worth anything? Maybe I just need someone to tell me to dump them. I have probably 200 cassettes I was such an avid collector as a teenager. lol

Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 PM

8,545 posts, read 9,306,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
One thing I am still holding onto is cassette tapes and VHS tapes. Is there any reason to hold onto these? Like are cassette tapes of popular rock bands of the 80's going to be worth anything? Maybe I just need someone to tell me to dump them. I have probably 200 cassettes I was such an avid collector as a teenager. lol
You might find a collector somewhere who will pay for them..do you listen to them or are they just collecting dust in a box..if just sitting there taking up air, I would dump.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
You might find a collector somewhere who will pay for them..do you listen to them or are they just collecting dust in a box..if just sitting there taking up air, I would dump.
Yeah they are just sitting there taking up space in a closet inside a carrying case. Actually I think I have two carrying cases of cassettes. I would feel bad throwing them in a dumpster. Too bad they can't be recycled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues