U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM

31 posts, read 97,593 times

Advertisements

I will soon be making a cross country drive in a rental truck to the Seattle area. For those of you in the know, do most auto insurance policies cover you while renting a moving truck?

If not, would you suggest that optional coverage is purchased through the rental company or is there another place which you can more easily purchase it.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,911,274 times
I do not know if buying the rental truck company's insurance is the best deal, you should talk to your insurance company. I do know that your regular auto insurance DOES NOT cover a rental truck......it only covers the same type vehicle you normally insure. So, a regular rental car is covered, but a big truck would not be. That came right from my insurance agent.

Frank

Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,336,755 times
I agree with what Frank said.

Here's a link that I have bookmarked from when I rented a truck for a move:

How to Decide On Truck Rental Insurance | eHow.com

Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 AM

98 posts, read 475,000 times
Default Another thought

You might want to contact your home owners or renters insurance company. Some policies cover personal property if it is stolen out of your vehicle or you may be able to purchase extra coverage through them for the move. Do your research on this coverage, moving companies standard insurance is based on weight @ $.60/lb. (So your 50 lb flat screen would have $30 in coverage!)

Budget has their coverage prices listed on their web site, one just covers your stuff and truck, the other includes liability (if you cause an accident) up to $1 million (for my move it was $190 or $380). Your car insurance company may offer some type of temporary insurance through them.

The reason I suggest you look for alternatives outside the truck rental company is that Budget also offers movers to help load/unload. I checked the website of one company offered through Budget and booking directly was about 30% cheaper.

ps. I would not rent from Budget given their bad reviews, but it was helpful to get a ball park figure on the insurance (Penske does not mention insurance on their website) and VERY helpful to get the contact info for the loading/unloading companies including reviews!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues