Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times

Advertisements

Florida family gives up on small-town North Dakota - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100216/ap_on_re_us/us_saving_hazelton - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Jewish families offered $50,000 to move to Alabama - CNN.com

Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times

In 2008.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Small towns are nice but with their own little clicks.

I tried the move to a place with a pop of about 4,000.

Opened a specialty business that was ignored by many due to it's limitations in clientile which was to be expected...no complaints on my part. I wanted to work but at a more leisure scale.

The thing I noticed was that you had to be a member of the bowling group...or a certain church.

Knowing the city clerk (in office over 20 yrs) by her first name.

Knowing everyone by the first name at the grocery checkstand or bank.

The list goes on.

The city/town is very clanish for a better word. Exceptance could take yrs and yrs.

I liked the small town atsmophere but they did not really accept me probably due to some of the reasons I posted above here. I'm not a joiner for any type of group so that may be my downfall. After a yr I moved my business and money away. They are still a small town.

Steve

Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 858,900 times
Quote:
The thing I noticed was that you had to be a member of the bowling group...or a certain church.
Spent 15 years in a town of 4k....and there were 30 churches and 1 bowling alley. And you nailed it regards first names at the local supermarket....

For the record, any town under 15k in population is one that I pass on.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I'm not a joiner for any type of group so that may be my downfall. After a yr I moved my business and money away. They are still a small town.

Steve
We moved to a small town and made an effort to join the community and volunteer and were accepted immediately. To get a little, you have to give a little. I agree that not being a joiner was your downfall. Hopefully you in your business dealings you are friendly and outgoing.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:28 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We moved to a small town and made an effort to join the community and volunteer and were accepted immediately. To get a little, you have to give a little. I agree that not being a joiner was your downfall. Hopefully you in your business dealings you are friendly and outgoing.
Some areas are not welcoming of outsiders, regardless of effort. Fitting in might be more important.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:51 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I just bet it depends upon the attitude of the new people. I think I could go anywhere and fit it. I've done it 3-4 times already. I get involved by plunging in and helping. I don't sit back and complain, or wait for others to come to me. Truthfully, having a kid in the school system helped. The next time I move I will not have a child in school, so will join a church which has programs I can get involved in, or I'll join other community organizations. Just go in and volunteer to do the job nobody wants, and they'll love you.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
The one thing about a small town is the mindset of the people.

There is a difference in thinking of a person who has resided in a city and then moves to a small town. There is a feeling of emptyness or a lack of the usual city availabilities. In a small town there is a small choice of many things and not the accustomed too variety of the city. One burger joint, two nearby truck stop restaurants, a bowling alley for a burger and fries, small coffee shop.

The same would be no different then a person from a small town moving to a large city and feeling out of place by feeling overwelmed by it's complexity.

I did NOT feel a downfall per se...never had one...just had a teen son who was NOT happy with the High School and the students with their small town farm ideology. Fun time was to pile into the back of a PU truck after school and cruise the farm roads.

Waited out the school yr and then we moved back to the city.

Small towns are NOT for everyone. Steve

Old 02-28-2010, 08:05 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

Very true Ellwood. IMO if newcomers stick mainly to themselves they can be viewed as being unfriendly. I realize some folks are more introverts then others but sometimes you gotta push yourself to just jump in and join things. I'm not judging but I think the folks from Florida may have strictly stuck to themselves and then opening a coffee shop in a small place where one already existed....a big "no."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues