U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 AM

30 posts, read 114,733 times
Default What do you pack first?

I haven't packed in so long. We are moving within 4 weeks to our new home, here in town. I need to get to packing since I am in school and I am the only one who will be packing the house. My husband isn't allowed to pack. Where do you start? Which one did you start with?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM

8,192 posts, read 18,936,825 times
I always start with the Christmas decorations, then move on to all of that stuff i just had to have for my kitchen that I never use......

Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 AM

30 posts, read 114,733 times
All our Christmas stuff is packed up and in storage. I feel very overwhelmed. So much to do and not enough time.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 AM

3,195 posts, read 3,147,143 times
I started with out of season clothes, most of the kitchen just leaving out what I use at least once a week, books, most CDs and DVDs (left a few out of needed breaks), knick knacks, photos, etc.

Just look around and ask yourself, 'what don't I need for the next 2 months'?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM

571 posts, read 584,574 times
I begain with books, Knick-Knacks, and items that don't get used regularly.

I moved across country so I had to be really organized. I took the opportunity to donate many unneeded/unused items while I was packing.

I also made a list of each box and its contents so that when we got to our new home it was easy to reference the lists to find any particular item that we needed.

I also clearly marked the outside of the boxes with the room they were destined to go in at the new home. It really made the transition so much easier!

Best of luck with your move!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 PM

2,374 posts, read 1,917,203 times
What do you pack first?

based upon your screen name the first thought that popped in to my head was THE KIDS, obviously.

This is a great opportunity to cull through clothes, toys, books, and housewares to see what can go to charity or the dust bin.

I did a cross country move 4 years ago and was amazed at how much stuff I had even after selling, donating or throwing away stuff. It would have been much easier if I could have packed up the 4 dogs and the cat first.

Never again. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,572,738 times
I pack up breakables, collectibles, and items that aren't bieng used. I also go through clothing and sort it, throw some out, pack what I won't be wearing.

I like to make room to put the packed items so the rest is easier.

I hate moving, it's very stressful. I'm moving almost 1700 miles in a couple of months and will be having a moving sale because I just don't want to haul a lot of it that far.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:28 AM

3,074 posts, read 3,755,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmommyof3kids View Post
I We are moving within 4 weeks to our new home, here in town.
If i read that right, the fact you are moving 'local' will make a difference in how things are packed. A year ago we moved from WI to SC, so had to take much greater time and care in how every last thing was packed. 3 weeks ago we moved into our new home, just 4 miles from our rental. That allowed us to be more flexible in how we packed items, meaning we didn't worry so much about boxing every piece of clothing, much of it went in bags. We still made sure our dishes and break-ables were packed with damage in mind, but knowing the drive was down the road meant we didn't need to be as thorough ( saving time and some material costs ). We did pack room by room, starting with all non-essentials first. Keeping only what we needed out, and tossing or donating anything we realized we just didn't need or use anymore. Food was easy to transfer from one place to the other, and so on....
Depending on the ages of the little ones, let them box up their toys and items. Allows them to be part of the move, and keeps them busy while you are doing your thing. And with a local move, if you have a few days to get out of the old place and into the new one--don't worry if something won't fit on the truck or you find isn't packed and ready to go. Easy enough to toss in the car and drive over later.
And I agree with the others, mark the boxes for the room they go into--so if you have helpers hauling the goods they will know where to place everything. And last suggestion, I think best to split up heavy or delicate items ( ie glassware, etc ) into several boxes rather then cram into one. No sense adding more weight to someone's day if not needed, and may help avoid potential damage.
Good luck!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM

5,972 posts, read 11,857,729 times
For a local move, we started with formal china, books, seasonal items (linen and clothes, beach umbrellas, boogie boards, Xmas decor), collectibles, picture frames and anything that goes on the wall.

Garage equipment/contents come next - lawnmowers, leaf blowers, snow blowers (if applicable), bikes, and spare tubs, jugs of cleaners.

Non-perishable pantry contents get packed next, followed by files that don't need to get accessed immediately.

Electrical items that are not needed to clean the place we are vacating - lamps, Wii, Nintendo's, sewing machine. Vacuum cleaners stay until last to use to clean house we're leaving and house we're moving in to.

Everything that needs to get unpacked within a day all get packed last - change of sheets, everyday dishes including small appliances and their appurtenances (e.g. coffee maker needs filters and coffee), toaster, microwave, etc., towels, two days change of clothes and underwear, computers (unplugged last), telephones, toiletries (toothbrushes, shower curtains, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. etc.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 AM

13,569 posts, read 15,649,124 times
My wife and I have packed and moved a few times in the past few years do to work relocation and being in a couple different rental properties. My wife does all the packing and I swear UPS should hire her as they would get a lot more on their trucks with her overseeing things, lol.

Anyway, we have 3 kids as well, so the absolute first thing we do is comb through all of the kids clothes, toys, etc. We get rid of anything that is outgrown and can't be handed down, is broken or just isn't played with anymore. The clothes are easiest and most get donated and those that aren't donated do to wear get tossed. The toys are harder as they will suddenly become attached to things that haven't seen the light of day in a year. My wife and I generally go through them together and then bring in the older ones for final inspection where they are allowed to pick a couple things to keep. The rest get donated.

After that she moves on to books, DVD's and CD's. These take up a ton of space, are heavy when packed and aren't things you really NEED to have around day-to-day...with the exception of the Transformers and Yo Gabba Gabba DVD's...those are essential.

Once those are out of the way we collect all the knick-knacks, china, photos, art work, etc. Once this is done the house really starts to look like we are getting ready to move.

Then it is on to the kids toys, games, etc. We give them each a bin that they are allowed to fill, generally something medium to small sized. Anything not in the bin gets packed. The idea of the bin is that come moving day they pick up all their toys, put them in the bin, close the lid and you are ready to go. Ditto when you get to the new house and oila they have something to do.

Then it is on to the kitchen and the oh-so-often-used train cake mold and the stand-up mixer we just couldn't live without. We leave all the essentials available, but pack pretty much everything else. This is also a good time to switch to using the family fine china...aka plastic utensils, plates, cups, etc. so you can pack ALL the dishes, utensils and cups.

Once all of that is done, you should be well on your way and the house will look like you are moving. Since it is a local move (we've done a few of those) I generally move the electronics over the day before the actual move and have the local cable/satellite guys out to hook up the TV's and internet. This gives the kids something else to do while you unpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues