U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:28 PM

873 posts, read 1,981,789 times

Advertisements

will abf load and unload the trucks for you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:20 PM

22 posts, read 78,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
will abf load and unload the trucks for you??
As far as I know, they will not. They provide you a means to transport your household goods, everything else packing, loading and unloading is pretty much up to the homeowner thus the cheaper rates.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:57 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,165,436 times
If you choose your move process using ABF and their Terminal to Terminal choice you save roughly half.

I think that is a little exaggeration. We are doing the Terminal to Terminal option, but it only saved us around $350 or 25%. Nothing to sneeze at, but definitely not half.

When we were looking into our options, we had to decide against the rental truck because it was just going to be way too expensive.

With Penske:

Truck w/taxes: $1200 (we'd need to rent a bigger truck than we need to pull our second car)
Dolly: $100
Insurance: $150
Gas: $800

Total: ~$2250

With ABF:

ReloCube w/taxes/insurance/month of storage: $1232
Small U-Haul to and from departure and destination point: $120-$150

Total: ~$1352-$1382

Well, nearly a thousand dollars in savings is nothing to sneeze at.

A month of storage at the facility also gives us a lot of flexibility in our own departure and arrival dates, particularly since we plan to stop by some national parks and camp on our way there. We don't have to worry about being there when our goods arrive to put them in storage until we get a permanent place. We get three business days to load/unload. ABF was just better all around in our situation.

Last edited by Sonnenwende; 01-15-2011 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,128 times
Well, if you don't have much stuff ABF isnt' that great. I can rent a Uhaul for an estimate of 800 to go from KC MO to Phoenix, but ABF would be 1300 and that's for the smallest available space. I'd personally go with the Uhaul trailer if you're able and need to move a car. I'm about to sell my car and just buy a new one down there. Have to pass god awful emissions standards anyways so we'll see.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 10,159 times
I'm not sure where these prices are coming from? I was quoted almost 3k (1300 lbs cross country) on a move using ABF (not saying their services aren't great). This is not anything less than I had been quoted from companies previous to the quote from ABF. I was quoted by several moving companies including Mayflower for around $500 less than ABF was asking (I thought ABF was supposed to be cheap using u-pack?). Although we are looking for cheap and U-Haul is a little bit more than we are looking to spend ($1700 to rent the truck alone...plus we have to drive) they also have U-Box which would be around $1,600 and all we would have to do is pack it ourselves and pick it up on the other end. It's not door to door, but they have a location close to our new place we could pick up from which would save us about $1000. Greyhound PackageXpress is an option for smaller items and runs extremely cheap. Right now I'm trying to find a cheap freight company. It only cost my wife $1000 to move from Doha, Qatar to our new home in AZ using freight systems. Haven't tried calling them yet, but there has got to be better and cheaper way of moving than 3k. I would like to spend around $1,000 to $1,500 or less to do it myself if possible. Does everyone always use standard moving services? There has got to be another way that is also cheaper.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,557,120 times
HelloMojo, before you go with a freight company, check out this thread! Be Careful When Choosing A Freight Company To Move Your Stuff

Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 PM

5,705 posts, read 7,961,265 times
We used PODS and liked it a lot.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 PM

93 posts, read 88,518 times
Has anyone packed up a sedan and shipped it via a freight carrier (i.e. uship.com)? My 8 month old daughter, my sister and I are moving about 1800 miles. We aren't bringing any furniture, just clothes and necessities and I'd like to keep my car. The uhaul est was 1600, PODs where about 1000 and I've gotten an est. for shipping my car at 920.

Has anyone here packed a car up and then had it transported??

Old 09-14-2011, 10:29 PM

521 posts, read 3,593,259 times
Probably not! Mostly because it's illegal.

Any motor carrier or rail transporter who is not licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or U.S. Department of Transportation as a household goods or personal property motor could have their interstate operating authority revoked (or receive a very stiff federal fine) if found to be transporting anything but the motor vehicle itself.

The risk isn't worth the reward.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 PM

93 posts, read 88,518 times
Ha! Figures! So I am out of luck. No way can I afford to move everything and there is no way my daughter would stay in the car seat for hours on end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues