U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM

18,856 posts, read 28,315,646 times

Advertisements

I did put a small u-haul hitch and pulled a u-haul trailer on my Honda CRV when I moved some furniture to Miami. My Honda is still going strong. That was the Vegas to Miami move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM

8,707 posts, read 9,681,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had good luck with shipping things via UPS. They got here before I did. Way cheap too. They will pick stuff up at your home. My cost, to move personal items, basically everything that fit in a box, was $800. From FL to MT.

Interesting. How many boxes did you have? Were they already weighed and stamped before they picked them up? Did you do it online (packing slips and such?)

Moving from Detroit area to Las Vegas. ABF wants close to $2500. for a Relocube. The only furniture I have is a cedar chest, a bicycle...not much else in that regard, only boxes and such. I tried searching the Old Dominion site and couldn't quite see where they had self pack cubes. Trying to keep the cost down as I also am driving my Nitro there. Any other suggestions?

Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM

42,672 posts, read 66,828,165 times
I once bought a used van to move from Missouri to northern Michigan, and then sold the van when I got there.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 15,566 times
Hey JK, after lots of research, the trailer hitch-Uhaul trailer is out. It will cause serious damage to my car so its not worth the risk. The other option is a 10-12 foot truck. Right now, Penske offers the best deals and if you have AAA its even cheaper. To rent a Penske truck for 9 days is going to cost about $380 plus gas, lodging, etc. This is the cheapest I have found so far. I am traveling very light (1 TV and some boxes) so gas mileage shouldnt be too bad since Im not overloaded. The only other suggestions I can make are to rent a minivan from a car rental agency (Budget is best) or to hire a small privately owned moving company to move you. My lowest quote so far has been $1400. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,367,228 times
It seems no matter what, it will cost a fortune. We are hoping to move from east coast to west coast, over 3000 miles with three kids, two dogs and two cats, two cars and a four bedromm house full of stuff. We are leaving alot of furniture behind because it is old and luckily our kids have Ikea beds and furniture that are easily taken apart so they won't take up too much space. We will need to bring our mattresses though. Here is what we are leaving behind:

*Couch
*end tables
*dining room set
*kitchen table/storage unit (also from Ikea and could be taken apart, but not sure if we will have anywhere to put it)
*master bedroom furniture
*outdoor dining table and some chairs
*washer/dryer possibly
*refrigerators (2)
*microwave
*stove
*have given away at least 20 bags of clothes to good will, lots of toys, all baby stuff to my sister and half of our garage was emptied out and trashed.

What we need to bring aside from a living room chair and loveseat and my mom's beautiful wicker furniture that she left to me...

*entertainment center (comes apart easily to save room)
*5 TV's (not all large ones)
*1 area rug
*about 60-80 boxes and rubbermaid tubs of personal items such as decorations, photos, scrapbooks (and supplies), sentimental items, etc.
*dishes, glassware, utensils
*clothes
*towels/bedding
*2 computers/stereo equiptment
*my husband's musical instruments/amps, etc.

Now we have put some things in space bags already and wow have we saved alot of room! But I plan on packing anything I can in these to squeeze into small spaces. We are still going to need a large truck. We thought we would save money by having our friend drive our stuff cross country, but I think it will cost the same as ABF or Old Dominion and I would imagine them to possibly be safer since they would be at their own facilities for overnights. I think it would be easier too. I will have to check into those options now too.

All depends on when we get out there...delays keep happening and I am so frustrated.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,362 times
I've moved a few times (Chicago to Phoenix, Phoenix to Dallas, now going Dallas to Chicago) and every way I crunch the numbers, getting a rental truck from Penske is the way to go. The trick is to call them up and talk to a representative, and they will start dropping the price more and more. They gave me a quote that was higher than budget, and I said well Budget has a lower price. Then they matched the price. Then I wanted a smaller truck and they dropped it more. Then I wanted a bigger truck and they gave me the bigger truck at the smaller truck rate. It helps that I have a history with using them so I kept on pressing that I love their service and I am a returning customer - maybe all of you guys should say that you were referred to them by a satisfied customer, and that you were told that they would work with you and help you out on the rates. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and you can just tow your car behind the truck. Tow dolly costs $150 and a car carrier about $350. It.s pretty simple and they can hitch and unhitch your car at the Penske location for you.

Hope it helps

Old 06-03-2012, 12:42 PM

244 posts, read 312,412 times
ya

Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM

65 posts, read 167,838 times
moving out of Alaska to northern Ca. 1,600 to get the van shipped to ca. we are allowed 250 pounds in the van. will probably mail the rest .. which is very little
we have moved alot and this time its down to bare minimum~make it simple and just say goodbye to all this crap we end up collecting over time. We are having a sale until we are gone... that money will go for the mailing and air tickets out... THERE REALLY ISNT A CHEAP WAY TO MOVE ENLESS YOU WALK AS ONE PERSON SAID EARLIER HA...

Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,976 times
Default Question about leaving the ignition key in "run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
When I did this sort of thing last, I rented a U-Haul truck and a car dolly, pulled the car behind the truck. This works particularly well for front-wheel-drive, smaller cars.

You can pack some stuff in the car, although you want to be careful about what shows through the windows.

You need to unlock the steering as well, on VW cars anyway you can put the ignition key in and turn to "run" (no need to start the car) and then turn back off, it stays unlocked.

Obviously, take precautions about the car having the keys in the ign.
How can you leave the car in the "run" position without harming the car? Will the wheel turn in another position?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Location: PNW native currently residing in the SoCal high desert
259 posts, read 502,315 times
^it's not left in "run" position. You just turn the key on to unlock the steering wheel, then turn it back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues